Why is premium ammo still a thing in open ?

While I do feel like there are things that are too powerful in the game (this probably one of them)

The idea of this stuff is to give people an edge in combat as it was designed to happen, which was, occasional, meaningful combat between players.

So, say you get jumped by a more powerful looking ship try to avoid damage while synthing premium ammo, and hit them harder than they expected.

Against NPC's who cares really. I like having options to crush them.

But PvP wasn't intended to be honourable duels, or even fair.

The idea was you'd run up against in game foes from time to time, and end up in a scrap, over something real. For this, premium makes a lot of sense.

It may be a slightly naive point of view that this is how things would play out in an online game, but it does make sense

lets tackle it one point at the time guys today its premo's please stay on subject :D

don't get me wrong i love the pvp , just the fact that premo's are such a huge salt enducers (on the xbox) and it can be avoided all together , plus getting half the ammo for a reload (stock ammo) is just a joke . I'm not saying that they should disapear if you want to use em you would be able to in private or solo, in open you only have the stock ammo reloads that gives a full reload.

Hmm. Why it is there: because somebody at FD thought it's a good idea. We still don't know which substances were in his system at that time, though. Why it is STILL there: because FD doesn't care.

Also, when they try to care and just try to nerf things, e.g. by ever so slightly reducing an engineering effect, parts of the community burst out in tears (without ever trying the change) and any nerf is washed away in rivers of tears. Happened more than once. I unfortunately can understand why FD doesn't care any more. :(

Premium etc. is still a thing because I, as a player, will use any 'tool' provided in-game to make things 'fun', there may be others who play this game to the same end and care not if such 'tools' are 'overpowered' as they have their uses in just playing a game that is enjoyable.
Others are equally correct with their own opinion, of course.

Premium etc. is still a thing because I, as a player, will use any 'tool' provided in-game to make things 'fun', there may be others who play this game to the same end and care not if such 'tools' are 'overpowered' as they have their uses in just playing a game that is enjoyable.
Others are equally correct with their own opinion, of course.
I do find it funny (okay downright hilarious) that a small group of players will use every engineering trick, every module enhancement, only the best reported weapons, build their ships with such a single minded purpose that they are totally useless for any other role - yet get upset if someone uses a perfectly legal facet of the game. And it all because of their personal paradigm, nothing more nothing less.

Kind of sad really, so many things they could be ranting about and they pick the one thing that is really meaningless because everyone has access to it and it is 100% legal.

you can look at it from another way as wel this game is all about balance and what not, that is why so many things got nerfed in the past.

having as example a PA overcharged with thermal conduit firing at 200% with 30%! extra damage in a 4v1 , the 4v1's allready happen allot and its fine , its not called elite carebear club TM , again IMO if you can engineer a ship with every hardpoint overcharged and are able to use it in a fight that should be OP enough .

I do find it funny (okay downright hilarious) that a small group of players will use every engineering trick, every module enhancement, only the best reported weapons, build their ships with such a single minded purpose that they are totally useless for any other role - yet get upset if someone uses a perfectly legal facet of the game. And it all because of their personal paradigm, nothing more nothing less.

Kind of sad really, so many things they could be ranting about and they pick the one thing that is really meaningless because everyone has access to it and it is 100% legal.
I just don't get how you don't get it. Under your model everyone who wants to do pvp needs to grind weekly for premium ammo. Also, how you can't see the difference between engineering once for a fixed and known advantage and having to grind weekly to maintain a 30% ADDITIONAL edge over the top, which is completely unknown... Hm...this person is winning, do I assume they are using premium and load my own? Or do I run premium all the time and force everyone else to? Literally I'm dubmstruck how anyone could fail to see the problem.

I realise it would be immersion breaking for some people, but I think the solution that would satisfy the most people and tick the most boxes is to simply have it not affect players.
I'd be absolutely in favour of such a proposition, no if's, but's or whatever :)
My only stance is that I will object to changes to the game 'in the name of...' which have a global effect (all players) when there appears to be no issue when I am playing.

I'd be absolutely in favour of such a proposition, no if's, but's or whatever :)
My only stance is that I will object to changes to the game 'in the name of...' which have a global effect (all players) when there appears to be no issue when I am playing.
Lucky you said that, cos you were next for a rant! ;) I appreciate that you see the problem in pure pvp. o7 I too have no desire to affect your pve game adversely.

I take it the word 'open' in the title should have read 'PVP combat'.
No , when you play in open you allready agree to player interactions.
i just wanted to add a bit more balance in it to ban premium reloads from open and don't ban em all together , if you want to use premo's you would be able to in private or solo, this would benefit all the players in the end , exept for the people who hate to loose and rather spend hours in the void to get their ammo to feel good about themselfs cuz of the GIT GUD, banning the premo's in open would bring everyone closer together , more people would team up to achieve the same that they can no longer do without the premium ammo , and yes you might loose a few more fights , there is also the huge oportunity to win more because they can't be used against you ,and your enginering abilities start to shine!

It's only really a problem if your ego won't handle losing, or being forced to retreat sometimes.

So you got hit by someone using premium ammo, ah damn, nevermind, not everyone can have it on at all times, they'd have to grind weekly for that.

Essentially, it should only bother you if you think all PVP should be fair or something. Or you get a bit more bothered than you maybe should, if you lose.

I just don't get how you don't get it. Under your model everyone who wants to do pvp needs to grind weekly for premium ammo. Also, how you can't see the difference between engineering once for a fixed and known advantage and having to grind weekly to maintain a 30% ADDITIONAL edge over the top, which is completely unknown... Hm...this person is winning, do I assume they are using premium and load my own? Or do I run premium all the time and force everyone else to? Literally I'm dubmstruck how anyone could fail to see the problem.
With no disrespect, I believe the point to be that Premium (and Pack Hounds and anything else frowned upon by the PvP community) is available to all, regardless of play preferences. If a PvP player wishes to unbalance the arena using Premium (or any other aid) the issue lies with that player, not the whole playerbase.
I'm in agreement with your proposition 'not affect human opponents' as a perfect work-around that has no global disadvantage in game.

The issue of Premium, in your scenario, is solely down to the PvP player using it, not a global one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom