Why is the Early Bird Pass so expensive?

One huge advantage of buying early access is getting a chance to express your views on how a feature works, and therefore perhaps getting it tweaked more to your liking.

Expensive? You played never a alpha version? My most priciest early acces was €150,- for ArcheAge. There is also a founders pack for BDO for 150,- It's not that it's so much more expensive then normally. Alpha's are expensive because you support the dev/Game. And kids that have no money or don't want to spent just are not worthy to get alpha. You need to give feedback and be helpfull towards the dev because alpha is all about that. Make the game better/Finding bugs. It's just that people who mostly pay helping the game with it! And not just play and not making the game better or giving feedback. (I want to say not everyone is the same I know that. And some will play/give feedback when Beta is there or Initially release.)

So what you're saying is that it is okay because you've paid even more for previous games? People shouldn't be spending 100+ dollars, euros, whatever, on an early access.

Anyways I realize that this isn't "hey we want our money now, buy the game and play early!" It's more just focused on the people who want to help make the game better.

Okay, so... I've been wanting and thinking about getting the Early bird after seeing all that pre-alpha stuff in the streams but this would be my first full fledged beta. How does something like this work? Do you get a special email adress to send pictures and whatnot to, that you discover in the game that might need improving? I'm asking because the whole process seems a bit vague to me and I'm not really the type of person who would just get this for the satisfaction of having the game early regardless of the state that it is in.

We don't know yet. When the time comes, I'm sure we'll be given the info we need in order to report bugs or difficulties with the game, or simply discuss in a closed early access group about our discoveries, share screenshots and ideas.

I accept that they need money, but I understand that we need to pay for the early bird edition because we will be able to play online and the servers wouldn't handle all the players if the alpha were free.

I accept that they need money, but I understand that we need to pay for the early bird edition because we will be able to play online and the servers wouldn't handle all the players if the alpha were free.

LOL I remember playing the 'Beta' of SimCity2013...... oh god.... *shivers* So. Much. WRONG!!!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

We don't know yet. When the time comes, I'm sure we'll be given the info we need in order to report bugs or difficulties with the game, or simply discuss in a closed early access group about our discoveries, share screenshots and ideas.

I'd like to know before getting it, hence why I asked so I hope we get some more info on this topic before it starts

Im very happy to pay that little extra and help shape the game.

I also see this game on the same level as a AAA game. Most AAA are roughly $70 to $80 or £40 to £50.

Its also a way that frontier can get the targeted audience for the alpha.

I feel more satisfied by my purchase of this game than i have about games half the price and have double the budget and team.

Im not a very wealthy person so i had a choice. Either Pre order this or pre order the Division. One of the easiest choices between games i have made.

How much will you play? Divide the price of the game by the amount of hours you think you will play. Is it less than the average burger from a fast food store?

It's to support Frontier! You get the chance to help shape the game as an alpha and beta tester, and Frontier gets the monetary support they need to continue shipping out updates. [big grin]

It's all about perspective and how much value you put on things.
In the U.K. it's £49.99. That's exactly the same price as RCTW Delux. Now look at the difference in quality and content. As Tilly-Tony said, that's the sort of price you pay for top games anyway, and in some cases, you get less than 30 hours gameplay. Now consider the price of the pre-order, £19.99. Ridiculous cheap when you compare the game with what else is out there.

If this is anything like RCT3, and it's looking far better, I know I'm gonna get 1000s of hours out of it. Time I'd otherwise be down the pub or buying some other distraction or whatever so to me, it'll probably save me £1000s in the long term, so I see it as a cheap investment.

hmm.. i guess us dollars are just not a good currency right now, haha.. beacuse from outside 63€ for a full game + early access for such a long period of time doesnt seem so much for me and i never bought an early access game yet or something [where is it]

Much like everyone has said in here it's really about preference. At first I'll admit I said to myself "$75! Too much!!!". Fast forward to the two live streams and I really asked myself did I want to sit patiently for at least 6 months while many people had their hands on the alpha/beta builds. And I bought in to it. Hopefully the money keeps the creative juices strong in Frontier but from what I've seen in their videos the Force is strong with them. But then I really thought about how much $75 is and this is what I came up with:

- $75 less than what I spent on my wife for her birthday this month (Way too easy to shop for her this year for some odd reason)
- Current gas prices $75 fills up my tank twice (translating to about 500 miles)
- $15 more than your typical brand newly released AAA title
- Buys me about 4 take out meals for the family at Pizza Hut
- $2875 less than what I spent on aviation expenses (private pilot lessons) in the past 5 months
- 3 and a half new release DVD-Blu ray movies
- 2 trips to the theater for Star Wars: The Force Awakens (man it gets MORE AND MORE expensive to go see a movie and buy popcorn and a drink)

And well you can see where I'm going with this. If $75 is too much for your coffers then by all means wait for the $30 release. I'm sure there will be plenty of videos to watch of people playing the alpha/beta builds in less than 2 weeks!!!

[praise]

I am quite happy to support Frontier, in the development of this game, that is why I decided to purchase the Early Bird, buy a vip ticket and join the CHC as well. I am just glad I am able to get involved with the game from the start, as I have been hoping for a replacement of RCT3 for such a long time and it's finally being made, to a far higher standard than I imagined. From what I have seen of this game so far, Frontier are on to a winner with this game.

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
At first I was only going to preorder the standard edition but knew I couldn't wait 7-10 months knowing other people are playing. Why would I want to 'pay' to test software when at work I'm paid to do it! But it actually this gives us a real opportunity to shape it how we want it to be with our feedback. Also each release will let us focus on the tools so by the time the game comes out, we will be pros. Plus of course if it was cheap, everyone would do it and not bother giving much feedback. Also 7-10 months where you can try things before anyone else. That is like an extra £4-3 a month on top of standard preorder for the experience, which then seems like good value.

In a way I wish they'd charged more as guaranteed some of those who paid for EA that still don't understand what it actually is will end up moaning they haven't received what they expected come the 22nd.

In a way I wish they'd charged more as guaranteed some of those who paid for EA that still don't understand what it actually is will end up moaning they haven't received what they expected come the 22nd.

Any expectation in regards to Electronic Arts is wrong by definition.

Ps yes i know that you mean Early Access but I am sure a lot of people don't.

Top Bottom