Why is this game so TEDIOUS??

All I wanted to do was try a different weapon setup. So i switch weapons out, go do some pew pew and realize I want to switch back. Only now I cant transfer modules between stations because it says "legal issues"?? what. This is so frustrating and what I thought would take a few mins has now taken me HOURS and every station says the same thing. I cant remember where I stored those modules and have no clue where/if the game even tells me.

Try using eddb.io or inara.cz to find a station with an Interstellar Factor, found in contacts page. These people can settle your long-distance legal problems for a fee.

You can clean it remotely and then transfer it. But what Susanna said too... ripping hot modules off a wanted ship is costly and problematic (deliberately), so best not to do it if you're wanted.

The game's not tedious, it's you not understanding how the game is working as intended.

You start shooting Ships & becoming a wanted player, all your modules are affected. So you can't just swap them to another Ship until they been 'cleaned'....pay your dues cmdr!

Ok so now I went to the interstellar factor and paid my fines. I STILL CANT TRANSFER MY MODULES BECAUSE OF LEGAL ISSUES!!! Im seriously about to pull my hair out
Bounties and fines are tagged against the ship you commit the crime in, and all modules attached become hot. If you remove it, it's still hot even if you then pay the bounty off your ship.

You need to clean the module. In the transfer module window, click the module, and there should be a clean module option. Do that, then you can transfer it. Bottom option in that menu.

1610603058283.png

This is so you can't dodge fines by simply unloading all your G5-engineered modules from a wanted ship onto a clean ship, without paying out more than the fine would've been worth (in most common cases)

Bounties and fines are tagged against the ship you commit the crime in, and all modules attached become hot. If you remove it, it's still hot even if you then pay the bounty off your ship.

You need to clean the module. In the transfer module window, click the module, and there should be a clean module option. Do that, then you can transfer it. Bottom option in that menu.

View attachment 204166

This is so you can't dodge fines by simply unloading all your G5-engineered modules from a wanted ship onto a clean ship, without paying out more than the fine would've been worth (in most common cases)
Does cleaning it take away your engineering?

The game's not tedious, it's you not understanding how the game is working as intended.

You start shooting Ships & becoming a wanted player, all your modules are affected. So you can't just swap them to another Ship until they been 'cleaned'....pay your dues cmdr!
This is all absolutely correct but you do have to admit the indirect outcome of this particular feature is tedium.

It's almost deliberately so, too. Fdev set out to make the process tedious. And there's very little in game to actually describe what's happening. We veterans just take it for granted because we know everything.

The C&P mechanic has reasons for everything it does and there are reasons it is where it is now but I think it's fair to suggest that it's convoluted, complicated and definitely not a shining example of gaming perfection.

It's a very good example of a mechanic designed by fdev and directed by its players. That's to say an old system that didn't work well with layers and layers atop which mask that original failure with complicated fixes that sort of work but still have their own issues.

For a new player it must be a nightmare understanding it, let alone enjoying it.

I still don't think it got the "tedium penalty for casual/accidental/bad player criminals" right. Even 1 notoriety is tedious. It literally means you have to not do what you might want to do for a couple hours with a particular ship (or just leave the game afk in supercruise for 2 hours, which isn't game play either). There are very few games I've played, short of crap mobile games with their naff energy and timers, that do anything close to that.

It's possible to understand "this is the game", to suggest to the op that they made a mistake, commited a crime and this is their punishment for it, to agree with you that the op doesn't understand this feature (and why would they?) and still think it's not perfection.

You're right, "the game" isn't necessarily tedious because of this. But this definitely is tedious. That's how it's been designed.

Last edited:
Just to add to my post above for emphasis... I just read the official game manual. It still refers to dormant bounties. It isn't updated based on the current game.

Sorry but you can't blame the op for not understanding this.

Maybe the in game handbook correctly outlines this?

Last edited:
we also had a time before Crime and Punishment, i think part of the motivation was PvP Crimes should have more consequences.... nobody wanted to protect NPCs...

but hey, it is what it is. crimes in anarchy are easier to cover up. crimes in systems where everyone has their mobile on record are a hassle.

if i engage this, i try to take the illegal mission from a station that also has interstellar factors, so you can always come clean before the next missions.

Everything in Elite is multi-actioning.

Maybe I'm used to it now, but it wouldn't the same if just one button press was enough to do what you want to do;)

Top Bottom