Wich Star types to exclude?

I am currently trying to figure out wich Star types are best to be excluded (via the routing options) for Exploration . . . can someone please give me a hint?

I usually drop the brown dwarfs (L, T, Y). They almost never contain anything interesting as systems and filtering them out prevents having to correct course if you happen to hit too many such in a row.

None. Just remember to scoop and not run out (y) You'll see a lot more unexplored stars if you don't filter any out ;)
Thanks for the hint 😉 . . . i already get nervous if my fuel drops just below 50% . . . so i use almost every Opportunity to scoop

Types KGBFOAM are refueling stars. The rest arn't.

But Fact was correct much more interesting not to exclude them.
I never thought about it that way, but now that you say it its quite logical . . . thanks for the hint! 🙂👍

By the way: A guy (Youtuber) named "Scott Manley" thaught me the main Sequence Sentence: "Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me". You should check it out, if you don´t know him already, i think you may like it

I usually drop the brown dwarfs (L, T, Y). They almost never contain anything interesting as systems and filtering them out prevents having to correct course if you happen to hit too many such in a row.
Yeah i see the possible Fuel Problem if you get too much Brown Dwarfes at once. Thank you!

If you are flying a route and not explicitly routing only through the KGBFOAM stars, keep an eye for the "Fuel Star" marker along your route on Galmap. It tells you the last scoopable star on your route. There is also a brief notification in the info panel (that I always miss)

Thanks for the hint 😉 . . . i already get nervous if my fuel drops just below 50% . . . so i use almost every Opportunity to scoop

Again from me, none. Don't worry until you get down to 1 jump worth of fuel. Fact is my fuel tank only carries enough for 3 max length jumps, when I do 2 jumps without refueling then I start looking for a fuel star if the next star is unscoopable. Always keep jumponium available, even if there aren't any fuel stars close enough to jump to ahead with Jumponium, with a premium jumponium jump I can always jump back to the last star I scooped at. Also if I do forget and I am on dregs and not enough to jump a full jumponium jump, using a premium jumponium to jump to a near star takes almost no fuel.

You are doing it right by scooping every opportunity and there are plenty of options for getting to stars to scoop as long as you have one jump worth of fuel.

All the other commanders are right, that by not excluding any start type, you will not miss potentially interesting stuff... But I'm saying:

au contraire, my dear fellow explorer...

If I do not have trouble finding a route, I tend to exclude M, K, Y, L and T stars and only explore O B A F WR C NS WD and BH... The reason being, that there is usually just so many M and K stars, that you will eventually find out, that you are jumping from one boring M or K low mass system to another...

Of course, as other said, you may miss something interesting, like M star with secondary BH or any other potentially interesting system, where the main star is boring M or K with some unusual binary star...

You make your choice... :)

Yeah, but then you'll never find one of the handful of those with an ELW in them.

I never thought about it that way, but now that you say it its quite logical . . . thanks for the hint! 🙂👍

By the way: A guy (Youtuber) named "Scott Manley" thaught me the main Sequence Sentence: "Oh Be A Fine Girl, Kiss Me". You should check it out, if you don´t know him already, i think you may like it
Switch economical route plotting occasionally and you can catch a lot of missed stuff, especially on well travelled routes.

I am currently trying to figure out wich Star types are best to be excluded (via the routing options) for Exploration . . . can someone please give me a hint?
white dwarf, if you are travelling somewhere over long distances with jet cone boost engaged
none, if you are exploring

If you are wishing to maximize your chances of finding interesting / valuable planets, then you are best off restricting your target stars to A and F only. All other star types have significantly lower chances of finding the good stuff, from a percentage point of view.

Of course, this advice has been out there for a long time now, so by doing this you are also slightly increasing your chances of finding stars that have already been discovered by someone else.

If you are after biologicals, for Codex completion or otherwise, you are better off researching which star types each lifeform can be found in. FOr example, space-pumpkins (a.k.a. "anemones" in the Codex) are often found around O class stars, so you might want to include them - though O-class stars are so rare, it's highly unlikely you'll hit one just by flying around randomly.

Which leads me to my final point: whichever star class you decide to keep that's in "last place" in the order OBAFGKM, will be the star you're most likely to see most often. Keep M in your filter, and the vast majority of stars you visit will be M class; delete M, and the vast majority will be K class. Keep only F and A, and you'll see more 'F's than 'A's. This is simply the statistics of the galaxy, where the bigger, brighter stars are rarer and the vast majority of stars are tiny red and orange dwarfs. 90% of the stars in the galaxy (both the real-life galaxy and the ED counterpart) are K class or smaller.

This and M as well. They usually contain nothing but a bunch of miserable ice balls. I keep the T Tauri's even though they are also usually just ice ball farms, though. I just like the protostars.

I wouldn't filter out the K's. They are often massive enough to create decent systems and have quite a lot of terraformables too. Even found a fair share of my ELWs by them.

Usually I drop M type from exploration as they rarely have anything interesting in their systems. If you're getting in areas of space where you seem to be running out of scoopables, then it might be a good idea to re-plot through M type systems as well.

If you really are afraid of getting destroyed by white dwarfs, which have a huge exclusion zone, omit those as well. But they really make you feel alive when you jump into a white dwarf system.

Really depends on your location, but I've noticed that O, B, A-class stars are the most massive and therefore the star systems tend to be bigger, some have up to 40 planetary bodies. You can scoop them too so they're safe in that regard.

Agreed that it totally depends on what you're doing. For basic travel and casual exploration, I'll usually use OBAFGK, carbon, wolf-rayet, non-sequence, and maybe one or two others. Mainly leaving out the white dwarfs, brown dwarfs, and M-class. I may or may not include the proto-stars.

If I'm exploring a specific area, I'll usually filter instead on visited systems, so that I don't visit the same stars twice, but otherwise will hit every type of system located there.

Top Bottom