Will Odyssey ever come to consoles

I have been playing for a while now and really love this game. I put nearly 900 hours into it on console. This brings me to my question. I know that Frontier has stated that Odyssey will not be coming to consoles, but I feel there has been enough time to work out the bugs and complications and was curious if Fdev has changed their mind about releasing the update on consoles? I know it probably won't be able to be played on PS4, but I think it would work on PS5.

I personally started the game on console, but I do have the game on PC (Steam and Epic, Epic when it was given out free) but I don't have Odyssey. I heard that it is a buggy mess when it first came out and for that first year or so was not very playable, according to some players. Have they fixed it? I really don't want to start over on PC and if we can link our console account with the PC I really don't want to lose my progress on console. It would be nice if they reconsidered and came out with the update for the consoles, which I hope they will do one day.

I don't have Odyssey. I heard that it is a buggy mess when it first came out and for that first year or so was not very playable, according to some players.
On release EDO was very poorly optimised. Even powerful PCs were struggling to get a reasonable FPS in stations, Settlements etc.
It is still very bugged, but quite playable.
Have they fixed it?
Not to the extent that a 'minimum spec' PC would run it satisfactorily. Even 'recommended' would likely be a poor experience.

But, if you have current, high-performing hardware, it can perform well, even in VR. (apart from the on-foot 'not really VR' experience)

On release EDO was very poorly optimised. Even powerful PCs were struggling to get a reasonable FPS in stations, Settlements etc.
It is still very bugged, but quite playable.

Not to the extent that a 'minimum spec' PC would run it satisfactorily. Even 'recommended' would likely be a poor experience.

But, if you have current, high-performing hardware, it can perform well, even in VR. (apart from the on-foot 'not really VR' experience)
Thank you for your responses. I just don't have the money to upgrade my 2017? Lenovo Legion gaming laptop as this was plenty expensive for me. I was just hoping that fdev would have reconsidered by now, but I guess they never will bring it to console. I read in the facebook groups that fdev is basically abandoning consoles for good as it costs too much money to update both platforms or something. I don't remember.

Metatheurgist, I don't want to switch from console to PC as I don't have a good enough gaming laptop in which to play ED. It runs ok, I think, on Steam, but for me it is much more prudent and it is easier to play on console.​

I had a quick google, apparently there should be support in Thailand from StarHub in Singapore, no idea how well it would work though!

But I think there are limited free to try accounts, so maybe worth a go!

2017 isn't that old, it may work depending on the configuration of what you purchased at the time. I want to say that having a 'newer' gen of CPU is as important as a decent graphics card, but I would wonder that a decent i7/i9 with a 1070+ might be worth a shout.

I want to add that the initial console transfer process gave you a duplicate, but separate and independent, account for PC, which allowed you to keep your console commander and stow your progress at the time of copy for when you might get a PC or GeForce account to then continue. So it's was a no-lose proposition for anyone on console at that time. I'm not sure if that is going to be the same for when it comes back, but my personal view is that the 'limited' transfer Frontier are talking about is more in relation to the separation of 3.8 vs 4.0, so I would hold out hope that the fundamental aspect of the transfer I just described above would still apply.

I know that Frontier has stated that Odyssey will not be coming to consoles, but I feel there has been enough time to work out the bugs and complications and was curious if Fdev has changed their mind about releasing the update on consoles?
What makes you feel that there has been enough time to work out the bugs? Certainly not FDev's history of long-standing bugs, I'd guess.
IMHO Odyssey is still not performing well, and I think it will never be. Abandon the hope for Odyssey coming to consoles, instead hope for the servers staying up in the coming years. That last thing still stands a chance.

There are no plans for console. Not even any effort for the next gen consoles that's from the very begining,even before EDO had it's successful launch for PC .
Fdev have stopped working on anything console wise when it is Elite related .

I had a quick google, apparently there should be support in Thailand from StarHub in Singapore, no idea how well it would work though!
StarHub? Is that the satellite internet? I don't know if they have that here. I haven't really checked.
2017 isn't that old, it may work depending on the configuration of what you purchased at the time. I want to say that having a 'newer' gen of CPU is as important as a decent graphics card, but I would wonder that a decent i7/i9 with a 1070+ might be worth a shout.

I want to add that the initial console transfer process gave you a duplicate, but separate and independent, account for PC, which allowed you to keep your console commander and stow your progress at the time of copy for when you might get a PC or GeForce account to then continue. So it's was a no-lose proposition for anyone on console at that time. I'm not sure if that is going to be the same for when it comes back, but my personal view is that the 'limited' transfer Frontier are talking about is more in relation to the separation of 3.8 vs 4.0, so I would hold out hope that the fundamental aspect of the transfer I just described above would still apply.
My Legion is a Y720 which is i7-7700HQ, CPU @ 2.80GHz 16GB RAM, and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card running Windows 11.

What makes you feel that there has been enough time to work out the bugs? Certainly not FDev's history of long-standing bugs, I'd guess.
IMHO Odyssey is still not performing well, and I think it will never be. Abandon the hope for Odyssey coming to consoles, instead hope for the servers staying up in the coming years. That last thing still stands a chance.
Well, this is why I don't purchase games. Either on console or PC or phones. I wait until they are free and then I grab them. I won't support a company or developer who does not support the user/fans. I have been duped so many times and lost quite a bit of money on iOS and Android from developers who make you purchase a game then refuse to support it any longer. I said I would never support a developer ever again because of this. I don't like losing money. I don't like paying for something and then there is no accountability when they stop supporting what you paid for. Even games from the early 2000's and some even beyond that work on newer PC's. And some of these companies are not supporting them or are no longer in existence.

My Legion is a Y720 which is i7-7700HQ, CPU @ 2.80GHz 16GB RAM, and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card running Windows 11.
I would like to be able to rate its ability to run Elite Odyssey, I can only link to my specs in comparison:

CPU, GPU

I would say that mine is on the lower-mid spec range for Elite, 1080 performance is overall pretty good but its not amazing, with the right settings I can get nearly a steady 60fps with dips down to 45s in the known trouble spots like settlements, but space is generally no problem going over 100fps.

Coming from console, I believe you'd be locked at 35fps? Looking at the specs comparison I wildly guess that your space bound experience will probably be fine at around 60+ but probably not over 80fps, but you might get hammered by settlements unless you really turn up the upscaling.

I would definitely give it a go when Frontier open up the transfer offer again. Even if it isn't acceptable you still will have your CMDR on the PC ready to go when you do decide to upgrade, and in PC land, that's a guarantee at some point.

Also, at the end of the day it's your experience that counts, performance-wise, not what some bleeding edge power user considers acceptable - not saying that in a derogatory way btw, my expectations probably would also scale with my dollar investment in kit. But again, coming from 35fps on console, getting 45+ will actually be an improvement.

Lastly, getting an SSD will also make a pretty big difference as well, if you don't have one already.

I would like to be able to rate its ability to run Elite Odyssey, I can only link to my specs in comparison:

CPU, GPU

I would say that mine is on the lower-mid spec range for Elite, 1080 performance is overall pretty good but its not amazing, with the right settings I can get nearly a steady 60fps with dips down to 45s in the known trouble spots like settlements, but space is generally no problem going over 100fps.

Coming from console, I believe you'd be locked at 35fps? Looking at the specs comparison I wildly guess that your space bound experience will probably be fine at around 60+ but probably not over 80fps, but you might get hammered by settlements unless you really turn up the upscaling.

I would definitely give it a go when Frontier open up the transfer offer again. Even if it isn't acceptable you still will have your CMDR on the PC ready to go when you do decide to upgrade, and in PC land, that's a guarantee at some point.

Also, at the end of the day it's your experience that counts, performance-wise, not what some bleeding edge power user considers acceptable - not saying that in a derogatory way btw, my expectations probably would also scale with my dollar investment in kit. But again, coming from 35fps on console, getting 45+ will actually be an improvement.

Lastly, getting an SSD will also make a pretty big difference as well, if you don't have one already.
Thank you for this. Yes, they updated ED on consoles to go up to the 60fps and I notice the difference playing on the PS5. While I would love to play on PC, there are way too many variables deterring me from doing so. I would have to put my laptop up by my TV so the HDMI could reach it, get an extension wire for the controller (do NOT want the battery powered XBOX controller), and other variables concerning laptop to TV connection. What I like about console is you plug it in to the TV, it stays by the TV always, no needing to update hardware or graphics card software, and other things. For me, it's just not prudent to have a PC or upgrade to a better PC. My place is not big enough for a setup that I would like to play games on.

EDIT : Strike what I said. I was looking at the wrong website. Sorry. As Jack Winter said, Starhub is the GFN partner for Thailand.

Last edited:
Top Bottom