Will Odyssey ever come to consoles

Thank you for this. Yes, they updated ED on consoles to go up to the 60fps and I notice the difference playing on the PS5. While I would love to play on PC, there are way too many variables deterring me from doing so. I would have to put my laptop up by my TV so the HDMI could reach it, get an extension wire for the controller (do NOT want the battery powered XBOX controller), and other variables concerning laptop to TV connection. What I like about console is you plug it in to the TV, it stays by the TV always, no needing to update hardware or graphics card software, and other things. For me, it's just not prudent to have a PC or upgrade to a better PC. My place is not big enough for a setup that I would like to play games on.
I think investigating G Force now may be the way to go as you would still be able to play on your PS5 if that was a workable solution in your area.

StarHub? Is that the satellite internet? I don't know if they have that here. I haven't really checked.

My Legion is a Y720 which is i7-7700HQ, CPU @ 2.80GHz 16GB RAM, and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card running Windows 11.
I don't know exactly what business StarHub does, AFAIK among other things they have a data centre and host part of GeforceNow. If Internet connections are fast and low latency between Thailand and Singapore it ought to work well, if connections are bad then less so. But you can try Geforce Now for free, with some limitations. I don't think you get the highest tier GPUs, there is a waiting queue, and you are limited in how long you can play. Not being a user myself this is mostly just what I picked up reading about it. It's Nvidia itself that listed Thailand as an area they sell access to, and StarHub as providing the infrastructure.

I don't think you'll ever see Odyssey on consoles and this would be an alternative if you don't have a PC beefy enough to run it. There is a free trial available so you can find out yourself if it's a viable alternative.

Edit: But reading further I don't think you can use the PS5 as a client directly for GFN, so maybe not a solution after all.

Last edited:
Thank you for this. Yes, they updated ED on consoles to go up to the 60fps and I notice the difference playing on the PS5. While I would love to play on PC, there are way too many variables deterring me from doing so. I would have to put my laptop up by my TV so the HDMI could reach it, get an extension wire for the controller (do NOT want the battery powered XBOX controller), and other variables concerning laptop to TV connection. What I like about console is you plug it in to the TV, it stays by the TV always, no needing to update hardware or graphics card software, and other things. For me, it's just not prudent to have a PC or upgrade to a better PC. My place is not big enough for a setup that I would like to play games on.
Going to reply again to this so you can see it, but the other thing to mention is that your current laptop would likely be able to run Legacy 3.8 reasonably* well in VR. You can pick up the WMR headsets for around $100 used and they are well worth the CMDR transfer and small investment. Elite in VR is something that all Elite players should experience IMO.

*subjective opinion alert

Going to reply again to this so you can see it, but the other thing to mention is that your current laptop would likely be able to run Legacy 3.8 reasonably* well in VR. You can pick up the WMR headsets for around $100 used and they are well worth the CMDR transfer and small investment. Elite in VR is something that all Elite players should experience IMO.

*subjective opinion alert
I would love to experience Elite in VR but I feel that an investment in VR for outdated hardware, of which it would be costly to upgrade or buy a new PC or laptop to compensate, is not beneficial for me. I have my sights set on PSVR2 which will work on PS5 for pretty much ever, as long as you have the system. I have always wanted to play Elite in VR and I know fdev said they will never bring it to consoles because it would run too slowly on PS4 and Xbox consoles and they want everyone to experience it and not just one group of people. Well, that kind of got shot to pieces as they cater only to PC users. But I understand their reasoning. Maybe I can find a cheap pair of VR headsets somewhere or maybe borrow some one day.

I would love to experience Elite in VR but I feel that an investment in VR for outdated hardware, of which it would be costly to upgrade or buy a new PC or laptop to compensate, is not beneficial for me. I have my sights set on PSVR2 which will work on PS5 for pretty much ever, as long as you have the system. I have always wanted to play Elite in VR and I know fdev said they will never bring it to consoles because it would run too slowly on PS4 and Xbox consoles and they want everyone to experience it and not just one group of people. Well, that kind of got shot to pieces as they cater only to PC users. But I understand their reasoning. Maybe I can find a cheap pair of VR headsets somewhere or maybe borrow some one day.
A Samsung Odyssey headset will work reasonably well with your current set up, my son's laptop is a 1660ti and Elite VR was decent on it. The headset will continue to work with future hardware and just run better. $100 for a used headset is pretty good IMO and not a huge investment, though I completely understand the reality of family budgets too, so no worries on that score if that's the situation. o7

A Samsung Odyssey headset will work reasonably well with your current set up, my son's laptop is a 1660ti and Elite VR was decent on it. The headset will continue to work with future hardware and just run better. $100 for a used headset is pretty good IMO and not a huge investment, though I completely understand the reality of family budgets too, so no worries on that score if that's the situation. o7
Thank you. I will look into this. That seems like it would be a good deal.

On release EDO was very poorly optimised. Even powerful PCs were struggling to get a reasonable FPS in stations, Settlements etc.
It is still very bugged, but quite playable.

Not to the extent that a 'minimum spec' PC would run it satisfactorily. Even 'recommended' would likely be a poor experience.

But, if you have current, high-performing hardware, it can perform well, even in VR. (apart from the on-foot 'not really VR' experience)
The funny part is that this game STILL performs like hot pile of garbage, unless you have a NASA supercomputer beefy enough rig that can brute force through bad optimization

I know this isn't exactly a console but it's apparently playable on a Steam Deck. Though according to ProtonDB it "has wildly fluctuating frame rates between Horizons (50-60fps) and Odyssey (15-30fps) content".

I demand Odyssey on Super Nintendo. There were 49 million units sold. I am sure that users will be satisfied.

Last edited:
My Legion is a Y720 which is i7-7700HQ, CPU @ 2.80GHz 16GB RAM, and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 graphics card running Windows 11.
After transferring my console account, I'm playing Odyssey on an old Dell 9020 Optiplex with a similar spec as that, running windows 8. I paid £150 for it on Ebay. It has an i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz. I upgraded the psu, installed a 1060 TI and fitted 16gb ram. Total cost about £400. It's plugged in to an old 1080 TV, so not the slickest experience but eminently playable and not noticeably different to the PS4 pro I used previously. I think the re activated account transfer is as comprehensive as before and I would highly recommend coming to the dark side, the Odyssey expansion has added an awful lot of developing gameplay like the Thargoid war and I enjoy snuffling around the exobiology planetside, a nicely executed enhancement to exploration.

Last edited:
Top Bottom