Would the game be better without this forum?

Just a musing here, not a criticism in any way:

I'm sure, like a lot of you, I spend time on the Interwebs, on here, on YouTube, etc - picking up information about what's going on in various places around the galaxy, or what's coming up in the game. This recent update gave us the new 'encounter' with the Thargoid ship stealing our escape pods, but it was an encounter I already knew about - I'd seen someone streaming it, and read about it on here. It was great, but...

..but what if I hadn't known about it, if I wasn't expecting it, what would that encounter have been like? Pretty scary right - with the amazing sound design and look of the alien ship.... I've never been hyperdicted, but I'm pretty sure I would have needed backup underwear, if it had happened to me BEFORE I even knew the Thargoids were coming back into the game. Afterwards, I'm pretty sure that I would have gone in to open, hit up a big port, and told every one of you I could find what had happened! I would have engaged. Some of you might have believed me, some might not, some might have gone out to check, and the story would take hold - then an article would appear on GalNet, and so on. Imagine if Galnet was the ONLY place you used for news?

TLDR : Imagine for a minute what the game would be like if real Cmdr interaction and Galnet were the only places that galaxy happenings were distributed.

You know, that's exactly how the hyperdiction craze went on here. If you frequent this place enough, you'll see all of that depth in text form. Totally beside the main point, but had to throw it out there.

I agree some parts of the game would feel waaaaay more epic without these forums but...only if I found it. Lol

Besides, who would want to live without such a paranoid and salty place?

No, it would not be better. Most people would never see any Thargoids without knowing from somewhere else like forum. Lets say without internet information gathering this game would be nearly unplayable. Just ingame information, even it would be better than now, would just overextend people. There is currently way too much information needed to make some "progress" of any kind. Actually i think this is a problem (for me) of the game: not enough "just play", too much information needed for anything.

I don't think so. I hate salt flowing here, but it's good comes with bad, and vice versa. Community for me plays huge part of this massive space game and although I don't find excitement of some of activities players pushes themselves towards to...it is still fun to discuss things.

That's a life. I wouldn't play massive game as Elite without other human beings. It is just not worth it. Solo or Open, Private or at different side of globe, disagreements or what not, Elite player is still fun to talk to.

Stay classy people. This is just fun and game. If you don't have it, find a groove, leave forums, leave ED for a while. Take a breather. It is just part of being human.

If I didn't have these forums, I'd never know what was going on in the game. Plus, I like these forums, I've seen the game change for the better because of things said on these forums. That being said, I think FD could do a better job keeping things like the thargoids secret, it would have been a better surprise. But I think even if we didn't have these forums, you'd still find all the same stuff, just other places.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3
I'm pretty sure that I would have gone in to open, hit up a big port, and told every one of you I could find what had happened! I would have engaged. Some of you might have believed me, some might not, some might have gone out to check, and the story would take hold - then an article would appear on GalNet, and so on. Imagine if Galnet was the ONLY place you used for news?

For your idea to work, there would have to be far better (in the first place: more persistent) communication channels in-game.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have done a lot of things, if I'd not read about them on this forum..

Places to explore, Distant Worlds Expedition, Jaques Station, the Guardians, Thargiods......these are some of the things I'd have probably missed out on were it not for the forum.

The art is being able to distinguish, from the titles, the good decent threads from the crap ones - & there are far too many of the latter.

As for Reddit, I can also distinguish between decent & crap internet sites - so you can say Iv not Reddit!

your not alone, i really don't understand it's organisational scheme, perhaps it's because im old!
I'm only 21. Trust me, it's just Reddit.

With out the forum/YT and with current way that informations are handed out in game I would probably miss entire alien content :(
I hinted at this issue in my post but it's a true one.

I do however agree that if content wasn't so hard to discover, it would be amazing to stumble on a ruin or get hyperdicted with no prior knowledge. Ah...OP has a point.

If I would be insane I would say the forum itself is a good thing as it establishes at least some communication with FDev and it provides at least a tad bit of pressure to listen.

If I would be bat crazy (sic!) I would propably say the forum's problems arise from a dozen "everything is great, go away if you don't think so" guys combined with (some) moderators with really abysmal performance (I was once called a racist and punished for calling an Apple a white pc...)

A forum is an excellent medium for feedback, suggestions, brainstorming and constructive criticism.
The hard thing for both serious users and the developers is, to sort out the honest and thought through posts without getting annoyed, angry or just indisposed.
Another important thing for the developers would be keeping to the plan. It can be adjusted and altered on the way to the finish, but getting too much into what the community does, would always result in chaos and just another iteration of a generic game.

Frontier is definitely on the right way to hit the sweet spot here. I personally would have liked a bit more straight line on Frontiers side, but the current development looks very promosing.

Top Bottom