Game Discussions X4 this looks Very good

Only 1 for me.
Years ago I activated "learn all the things", because my AI crews were not leveling up.
Not sure if over the years the base code was tweaked, so I still use it today.
My AI crew levels up on their own, though some faster than others. The trick is actually giving them things to do. I've got traders running constantly using "Repeat Orders", and their captains tend to level up pretty quickly. I'll then promote those captains to command military capital ships and enlist new captains for trading. I find this more immersive than using what might be considered a borderline "cheat" mod. (Almost all my mods that affect difficulty make the game harder, not easier)

My AI crew levels up on their own, though some faster than others. The trick is actually giving them things to do. I've got traders running constantly using "Repeat Orders", and their captains tend to level up pretty quickly. I'll then promote those captains to command military capital ships and enlist new captains for trading. I find this more immersive than using what might be considered a borderline "cheat" mod. (Almost all my mods that affect difficulty make the game harder, not easier)
Yup, did all that. Auto trading, exploring, etc, as I said, it used to make no difference.
If it's sorted now, great.

Besides noStardust (I've turned off for now), learnallthethings is the only mod I use but I only use it for about 8-10 game hours after I have about a dozen ships to achieve a few 5 star pilots and several 4 and 5 star crew. After mentioning my disagreement with the devs concept of crew skills, I got beat up a bit ... which I don't give a crap about. To each their own.
If you need highly skilled engineering crew, buy a construction vessel and build stuff; the crew will train up fairly fast.
If anybody wants to know my philosophy on the topic I'll use another post. ... a topic for another day iow
Have a great day

Last edited:
  • Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
Since I haven't played X4 in a couple of weeks: Is the Boron sector with the dangerous environment still "bugged" (meaning: do L ships still drift into oblivion where they explode eventually)?

Since I haven't played X4 in a couple of weeks: Is the Boron sector with the dangerous environment still "bugged" (meaning: do L ships still drift into oblivion where they explode eventually)?
I did not experience this again, but it may be down to my cautipus behavior in the region. It actually never came to kablooie, but the drifty stuff did.

The battle in Hatkivah is heating up.
X4 Battle for Hatikvah-EV03eX.jpg

the Raptor squad eating up a K (the DD is my flag ship .. where I am atm)
and a few minutes later another K wanders into the fur ball
X4 Battle for Hatikvah-EV03eY.jpg

mushroom squad is coming in; behind me are the three raptors positioning for maximum effect, ... they walked into It.

Last edited:
The battle in Hatkivah is heating up.View attachment 360096
the Raptor squad eating up a K (the DD is my flag ship .. where I am atm)
and a few minutes later another K wanders into the fur ball
View attachment 360097
mushroom squad is coming in; behind me are the three raptors positioning for maximum effect, ... they walked into It.
You might want to try the STARS mod from Nexus. Just the simple skybox one, not the galaxy reboot. I suggest this because I have always found Hatkivah's Choice to be a rather dull system, and yet that tends to be where all the action happens, and this mod gives it a bit of a visual buff.

In other news, I'm currently taking a break from X4, but I seasonally tend to take breaks from space games in general in the summer due to the long daylight hours. My brain just finds space games more immersive during the cold, dark winter months, so right now I'm riding a horse rather than a spaceship. I still am a huge fan of X4, however! (Unlike that other space game that shall not be mentioned)

You might want to try the STARS mod from Nexus. Just the simple skybox one, not the galaxy reboot. I suggest this because I have always found Hatkivah's Choice to be a rather dull system, and yet that tends to be where all the action happens, and this mod gives it a bit of a visual buff.

In other news, I'm currently taking a break from X4, but I seasonally tend to take breaks from space games in general in the summer due to the long daylight hours. My brain just finds space games more immersive during the cold, dark winter months, so right now I'm riding a horse rather than a spaceship. I still am a huge fan of X4, however! (Unlike that other space game that shall not be mentioned)
Last big playthrough I had the action happen in 1st Contact (Flashpoint)

I'm tempted to play X4 again. On the one hand I really want to finally finish some of those terraforming projects, on the other hand I am so powerful that there is literally no opposition left that could challenge me (for plot reasons I am at war with one of the Split Factions, so I could fight&win that war instead of just containing the hostile Split to their sectors).

My plan is to stop playing X4 for a while after I got a few good fight images. I'm not sure yet what my break point is for X4 but I wanted to start a fight with some reds and so far I've taken down 6 or 7 Xenon Ks with the loss of only one destroyer and several dozen fighters.
Most of my game time is now being ate up by Flashpoint Campaigns and the obligatory battle or two of WoWs and Armored Warfare. Plus, RL is pushing me to do more work to pay for this wonderful inflation.
Edit: Oops, I forgot to mention SB2 is on sale for 30% off at steam ... which may be just enough to get me to jump on it. SF is too far off to wait for a new space game experience. hehehe
Have a wonderful weekend

Last edited:
Never a dull moment in this game. My first terraforming project in Getsu Fune is about to come to a successful end. Preparations are underway for the next project in the far east. The necessary factories are already up and running, security forces are deployed to fight off the odd Kha'ak incursion and suicidal pirate.

In the north border skirmishes with the last Xenon strongholds continue. in Zyarth's Dominion I my forces suffered a small setback: The newly constituted Carrier Strike Group 3, centered around the Shark-class carrier Poseidon's Wrath, was tasked with supporting the capital ships of Task Force 5. CSG-3 deployed two fighter wings (VF-4 and VF-6, 20x Kalis heavy fighters each) to screen the battle line against Xenon fighters. Due to a command error TF-5 did not receive orders to actively protect the gate to the Xenon sector. When a large group of hostile forces entered the sector, VF-4 went in unsupported and was wiped out before reinforcements arrived. Only a single pilot survied (who is now the leader of the rebuild VF-4).

In a later major battle against 3x Xenon K, 1x Xenon I and scores of fighters and corvettes, CSG-3 and TF-5 held held the line without losses (although several capital ships of TF-5 were in need of repairs afterwards).

CSG-3 hasn't been the only addition to my fleet though. Thanks to my very well supplied shipyard in Jupiter, I just comissioned another Task Force consisting of 1x Asgard, 3x Syn, 3x Osaka and 1x Atlas E in preparation for my future campaign against the hostile Split faction.

xKoKBQa.jpg

GNGS Yggdrasil constructing a new Ice Refinery in Rolk's Demise

gw35E8C.jpg

VF-4 shortly before their ill-fated engagement with superior Xenon forces

I started yesterday with x4... what a surprise I got, and a good one.
That was my first experience as well, once I got used to the flight model (FA-off helps a lot for me).

Supposedly now they are working on the multiplayer option, but in reality it is similar to that of E.D, you only affect the shared world, but there is still no interaction with other players.
I'm not much interested in this, especially since it would mean giving up some of my favorite mods, but I do understand the appeal to folk who like this sort of thing. I just hope they don't sacrifice working on the core single-player game in favor of this new multiplayer mode. There's still lots that can be done (and fixed) with the core game.

Never a dull moment in this game.
NEVER? That's not my experience. I was in quite a lull when I paused playing, in fact that's one of the main reasons I did pause, because things were so slow in my galaxy. Is it true that enemy aggressiveness and general game feel is tied to RNG of each game start? The Xenon in my game have a formidable Navy, but they aren't using it. They are more of a minor nuisance than an existential threat at this time.

Awesome first screenshot BTW. I don't think I've discovered that system yet.

NEVER? That's not my experience. I was in quite a lull when I paused playing, in fact that's one of the main reasons I did pause, because things were so slow in my galaxy. Is it true that enemy aggressiveness and general game feel is tied to RNG of each game start? The Xenon in my game have a formidable Navy, but they aren't using it. They are more of a minor nuisance than an existential threat at this time.

It probably depends on personal preferences. I am the "Empire builder"-type of player. I mostly enjoy building stuff and watching things grow. So, even when the Xenon are more passive again, there are plenty of things to do for me. Designing new stations, building new fleets, moving fleets to engage Kha'ak installations etc. By now, X4 is more of a strategy game than a traditional "space game" :D

In my playthrough, the Xenon almost wiped out the Split Patriarchy. If it hadn't been for my intervention, the Xenon would probably have consolidated all sectors north of Hatikvah's Choice. In the south Paranid and Argon conquered the Xenon sectors without my support. Same with the Teladi in the east. Right now, there are two "quarantine zones" left: Rhy's Defiance/Matrix #598 in the north and Emperor's Pride VI/IV+Litany of Fury IX in the north-west. To be honest, the Xenon are no threat anymore and I could wipe them out completely, if I chose to. But that would be boring, so I'll keep them alive for border skirimishes and the occasional fleet action.

Just as I am writing this, the Xenon send another strong fleet into Zyarth's Dominion I. This time I even lost a few of my fighters and almost an Asgard. I've now reinforced this position with an additional Task Force (the above mentioned new Task Force with 1x Asgard, 3x Syn, 3x Osaka and 1x Atlas E) plus I will add a squadron of 20 torpedo bombers and 8 corvettes to the carrier. As I said, there's always something to do ;)

Silly q, have they fixed point defence in X4 yet?
Last I tried, large beam weapons were effective at shooting down incoming missiles, but if you're getting attacked by a missile boat (or station) that's spamming you with dozens of missiles, many will still make it through. Smaller beams didn't have the stopping power, and bolt guns (which feel the most "point defense" like) seemed to have a hard time hitting them.

I can't remember if I've tried my AA ships as missile defense platforms since installing the turret weapon velocity doubler mod. These capital ships will eat drones and small fighters like I eat french fries, but unmodded they were kinda rubbish as missile defense.

I think a mod that changes the hardness of missiles would greatly improve point defense, but even then it would be hard for turrets to jump from one missile to the next when a swarm of a dozen missiles is rapidly approaching your capital ship. I've taken severe damage from those missile swarms, so for me the best defense is a good offense, which is often flying in with a small fighter and taking out the enemy's missile batteries before engaging with my capital ships.

That was my first experience as well, once I got used to the flight model (FA-off helps a lot for me).

I'm not much interested in this, especially since it would mean giving up some of my favorite mods, but I do understand the appeal to folk who like this sort of thing. I just hope they don't sacrifice working on the core single-player game in favor of this new multiplayer mode. There's still lots that can be done (and fixed) with the core game.

I don't understand the flight model very much, so I modified it and left it the same as the one I have in ED, I use hotas, I spent almost an entire afternoon to have my ideal configuration.

From what I read, you're right, multiplayer doesn't accept mods, but since I'm new to what the base game has, it's enough for me.

I love the design of their ships and that they have interiors! I finally have interiors xD

Top Bottom