Xenobiology study of Thargoid Ship Logograms - Compendium

Im at work atm and reading this very interesting thread. Just as an idea, is there any way of linking these emblems to the strange groups of numbers that appear in the panel whenever there is interaction with the Thargoids?

https://imgur.com/a/T294N tl:dr

Readdressing some of the work by CMDR Louis Calvert (Moribus above) and others focusing on the secondary ring.
Is it just me... but do these seem to "grow" from the original Barnacle symbol or not?

There's some pretty cool theories there. Seems to suggest these icons might be more similar to something like Chinese where entire concepts and phrases might be rolled into one icograph using similar parts from the 'core concepts' put together into a more complex whole to create a new concept/phrase.

Im at work atm and reading this very interesting thread. Just as an idea, is there any way of linking these emblems to the strange groups of numbers that appear in the panel whenever there is interaction with the Thargoids?

I think those have been solved in the main thread (can't find the exact page now sorry https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-and-other-mysteries-Temporary-discussion-hub), it's a reference taken from the Thargoid description in the original Elite manual translated into octal AFAIK.

But there may well be more links hidden in that old manual too that might help solve this?

Reminds me a bit of circular-gallifreyan (Dr. Who)
omghireddit.PNG

... Seems to suggest these icons might be more similar to something like Chinese where entire concepts and phrases might be rolled into one icograph using similar parts from the 'core concepts' put together into a more complex whole to create a new concept/phrase.

Thank you!

I find myself trying to reorganize your chart in my head starting with the Barnacle and progressing through the "clam shells" simplest to most complex... then the broken circle... and so on :D
But after about #10 I start to think about lunch or some other distraction :p

I'm sure with more observation... the holes will fill in.

Last edited:

Yes! Apparently there's guides on how it works so you can write your own stuff? I do think if this is a language it might well work in a similar way (in that there's glyphs that represent letters and word groups that you arrange in a particular way to make a sentence).

Thank you!

I find myself trying to reorganize your chart in my head starting with the Barnacle and progressing through the "clam shells" simplest to most complex... then the broken circle... and so on :D
But after about #10 I start to think about lunch or some other distraction :p

I'm sure with more observation... the holes will fill in.

If it would be helpful to have each one as an image on it's own I can do that and put them in a zip or something so you can arrange them however you need?

Ok i gotta stop looking at these. Now i am seeing roses!! Barnacle looks like a bud from the top, the rest of the logos look like various growth stages of a rose! When you stare hard enough you start to see things.......

If it would be helpful to have each one as an image on it's own I can do that and put them in a zip or something so you can arrange them however you need?
That might be helpful in the future.. like playing cards that can be rearranged in any order. (hmm... thargoid playing cards.... there's a micro transaction in there somewhere)

What you have now though, I think I can cut up pretty easily... just have to find the time to do it :)

Last edited:
Ok i gotta stop looking at these. Now i am seeing roses!! Barnacle looks like a bud from the top, the rest of the logos look like various growth stages of a rose! When you stare hard enough you start to see things.......

Heh... Thargoid Rorschach Tests

I like the idea that these symbols are a kind of writing system.

The common central core of the symbols reminds me of the orientation markers in QR codes. That way the meaning of the position of the surrounding arcs and blobs can be read consistently from any position. Which is really handy in space where there is no 'up'.

The common central core of the symbols reminds me of the orientation markers in QR codes. That way the meaning of the position of the surrounding arcs and blobs can be read consistently from any position. Which is really handy in space where there is no 'up'.

Excellent point...

Someone else* pointed out that the Thargoid symbols look similar to the outlay of Ancient ruins, so I did some overlaying and let you be the judge.
https://i.imgur.com/SWZNEYD.jpg
*Sorry, I am terrible at remembering names.

I like this idea. Maybe they do refer to a clan and are like tattoos identifying a particular clan? Maybe their bases are build around the central barnacle , and the different patterns around the central structure are describing which base / nest they are from?

Excellent point...

You mean it's basically saying "this way up"? :p

(I agree, that's a brilliant idea)

Can confirm that the image produced by the scanner is accurate to the markings on the ships. If there's anything to be gained from visual analysis, this will make it a lot easier. Scanning takes a while and requires you to be within 500 meters, which is close enough to aggravate an idle Thargoid, so I found the best time to perform the scan is while it's scanning you. Gives you enough time to finish the scan before the Thargoid backs off of its own volition.

There is a discrepancy, though... The second and third layers of symbols on the HUD are oriented identically to the symbol on the ship itself. But the central marking, the barnacle, is not. On all the ships, the "spoke" coming from the central dot in the barnacle symbol is pointing down and to the left. In the HUD, that same spoke is pointing straight up...
TRXhDon.png

There ya go:

kf5hHaQ.png

Intrestingly enough, I gave some MA's to the thargoid i scanned, it picked those up and after a moment another ship jumped in and EMP'd me:
Hl7sXoS.png

unknown.png

I didn't manage to get a scan on that 2nd one, they both left fairly quickly after my ship booted back up.

On my way to gather scans too :)

Can confirm that the image produced by the scanner is accurate to the markings on the ships. If there's anything to be gained from visual analysis, this will make it a lot easier. Scanning takes a while and requires you to be within 500 meters, which is close enough to aggravate an idle Thargoid, so I found the best time to perform the scan is while it's scanning you. Gives you enough time to finish the scan before the Thargoid backs off of its own volition.

There is a discrepancy, though... The second and third layers of symbols on the HUD are oriented identically to the symbol on the ship itself. But the central marking, the barnacle, is not. On all the ships, the "spoke" coming from the central dot in the barnacle symbol is pointing down and to the left. In the HUD, that same spoke is pointing straight up...

Interesting indeed. Nice work. The orientation of the barnacle logo must not be important to the meaning I guess.

Top Bottom