You know you’ve lost your player base when.....

Views do not correlate to anything on YouTube. Look at the most popular youtubers..

i'd argue that poeple willing to subscribe to yt channels might correlate well with people willing to buy crap off junk shops. you'd think the biggest platform of ad services in the world might have thought of that before investing millions of $ in it ...

Unlike football, Ed isn't or more likely shouldn't be a religion.

The griping comes from the dark side of passion, obsession, and I think a lot of people could do with a nice cup of tea and a sit down. Maybe even a chocolate digestive.

What is sad is (as others have pointed out) peeps pointing out game x or y are doing well vs elite insinuating that ED players are mugs, along with the (misplaced) sense of entitlement about "taking my money elsewhere" or worst of all an open letter.

Still, makes for fun reading.

A lot of it comes from hot air and no action- for example if FD actually improved Powerplay over the five years its been in the game, they would have had a Star Wars Squadrons style game built into ED for free. Modest input into CQC would have made for an entertaining eSport like diversion. I could go on and on about how features with so much potential just being left to rot- and now all that is coming back to haunt FD.

In the end I don't care how ED does in relation to other games, I just want this game to live up to its potential. Right now its Jumpers For Goalposts league.

Last edited:
A lot of it comes from hot air and no action- for example if FD actually improved Powerplay over the five years its been in the game, they would have had a Star Wars Squadrons style game built into ED for free. Modest input into CQC would have made for an entertaining eSport like diversion. I could go on and on about how features with so much potential just being left to rot- and now all that is coming back to haunt FD.

In the end I don't care how ED does in relation to other games, I just want this game to live up to its potential. Right now its Jumpers For Goalposts league.

Yes, this runs throughout the forum for definite.

Most of us can see the potential (comparing to Squadrons is very apt) and I would have preferred this x1M to space legs (where I am braced for disappointment). It seems to me that most of it has come from not committing fully to an idea, or at least not thinking of the gameplay elements at least.

There's a difference in suggesting things positively and the entitled crap a lot of the posts contain (again not you specifically RN)

Really, I should have tried harder at school, moved to Cambridge and gotten a job with Braben's outfit in the early days, but there you go.

Dude, it's okay to buy another game. ED is a computer game, not your wife. You are not supposed or expected to play only one, or pretend any game is the One. FS2020 looks cool, it's fine if you buy it.
Who says the' wife' doesn't play other games as well.

Yes, this runs throughout the forum for definite.

Most of us can see the potential (comparing to Squadrons is very apt) and I would have preferred this x1M to space legs (where I am braced for disappointment). It seems to me that most of it has come from not committing fully to an idea, or at least not thinking of the gameplay elements at least.

There's a difference in suggesting things positively and the entitled crap a lot of the posts contain (again not you specifically RN)

Really, I should have tried harder at school, moved to Cambridge and gotten a job with Braben's outfit in the early days, but there you go.

I get what you are saying- a lot of stuff is entitled children ranting, but after a while its really, really hard not becoming a ranter yourself since FD have got progressively tone deaf, especially during Beyond. I so, so want EDO to bring back that magic but with each day FD mishandle and smother enthusiasm via trivial mistakes and poor communication / expectation management that love is slowly wilting to indifference.

Yeah. That's why I took a break.

Always willing to give it a fair shout, but as you say the wasted potential always gets me needing a strong drink and the hiding of my keyboard warrior uniform.

Yeah. That's why I took a break.

Always willing to give it a fair shout, but as you say the wasted potential always gets me needing a strong drink and the hiding of my keyboard warrior uniform.

For me I get the sense FD are not hungry for sucess, because they have other titles to soak up underperformace and are happy with what can be charitably called mediocrity. Fleet carriers for example had many areas for small "ooo!" moments- little flourishes that make you think someone actually cares. But we got none of that- and I suspect we never will...which makes me sad. I will whip myself with birch if EDO delivers love like warm caramel sauce but my default state now is disappointment rather than anticipation.

For me I get the sense FD are not hungry for sucess, because they have other titles to soak up underperformace and are happy with what can be charitably called mediocrity. Fleet carriers for example had many areas for small "ooo!" moments- little flourishes that make you think someone actually cares. But we got none of that- and I suspect we never will...which makes me sad. I will whip myself with birch if EDO delivers love like warm caramel sauce but my default state now is disappointment rather than anticipation.

I understand your particular disappointment but do you still play the game?

ED is Whammy Burger.

1596361880803.png

EDO needs to be plump and juicy right out of the box, and served before 10 AM.

I understand your particular disappointment but do you still play the game?

I do, but drastically less (I mean 95% less) than I did. I used to run Powerplay Reddits, help lead Powers, I worte Galnet Stories, bits of lore, helped run Reddits to get other people published on Galnet, worked for Sag Eye, made memes, try to provide quality feedback and be an all round good egg.

After the September patch (and this one) I can't even log in and what little enthusiasm dies inside once again as I watch a spinning ship.

Some people get called 'Whit Knights' on this forum no doubt I have been shoved into that group at some point but the mentality of some people that get on this forum just baffles me.

Its purely in response to all the glorification that sometimes goes on around here with the game being in such disarray when you care to look.

Please don't think it has to be bad, its very positive and amazing to celebrate a victory, success or achievement. Its right and healthy.

The issue with that for elite is also illustrated well by childrens.. the white knightisms here would be similar to your children doing a project, making a shiny title page and table of contents, but having a rough unfinished body of content with spelling mistakes, bad grammar and missing formatting, but then claiming they're finished, showing it to you knowing full well but mischievously acting like they deserve a AAA++++++, taking the reward you promised them for getting it done then going off to enjoy their time somewhere else.

Maybe the house has to be in order for the celebrations, for some people at least. I can imagine in situations of war or famine you could make exceptions, but in business to customer not really.

This forum is a schizophrenic mix of ‘everyone is leaving the game in droves’ and ‘all these newbs that got the game a month ago and already have FC’s’.

That's gamers all over.

1 person leaves a game and it's 'miilions are leaving, OH THE HUMANITY!!!1one'

I've said it a few times before but SWTOR been dead since 2012, I stopped playing in 2017 and it's still going.

Capricious bunch are gamers. They are Sith, only deal in absolutes.

This forum is a schizophrenic mix of ‘everyone is leaving the game in droves’ and ‘all these newbs that got the game a month ago and already have FC’s’.

You missed the "git gud" guys, the "gankers are killing this game" the "whhhhhhaaa its only 99% of what I expected" and not forgetting the the eternal battle from the "I love Fdev" and "I hate Fdev" people

Bill
<happily flying his AspX in open and saying cheery "Hi o7" to any commanders he sees :cool:

I do, but drastically less (I mean 95% less) than I did. I used to run Powerplay Reddits, help lead Powers, I worte Galnet Stories, bits of lore, helped run Reddits to get other people published on Galnet, worked for Sag Eye, made memes, try to provide quality feedback and be an all round good egg.

After the September patch (and this one) I can't even log in and what little enthusiasm dies inside once again as I watch a spinning ship.

Same here. I've gone from playing everyday to playing a total of 15 minutes in the last 2 months, and that was to check out the mission board and transfer some funds to my FC. FC's briefly brought me back but now.....not playing. No narrative? Dead galaxy.

I've been posting here for years and.....I wasn't always like this. I loved and still love the game. But I hate the way its potential has been neglected and there's only so many FDev empty promises, bug-creating patches, and abandoned gameplay features* I can put up with before I search for content and entertainment elsewhere.

*Codex says hi!

Its purely in response to all the glorification that sometimes goes on around here with the game being in such disarray when you care to look.

Please don't think it has to be bad, its very positive and amazing to celebrate a victory, success or achievement. Its right and healthy.

The issue with that for elite is also illustrated well by childrens.. the white knightisms here would be similar to your children doing a project, making a shiny title page and table of contents, but having a rough unfinished body of content with spelling mistakes, bad grammar and missing formatting, but then claiming they're finished, showing it to you knowing full well but mischievously acting like they deserve a AAA++++++, taking the reward you promised them for getting it done then going off to enjoy their time somewhere else.

Maybe the house has to be in order for the celebrations, for some people at least. I can imagine in situations of war or famine you could make exceptions, but in business to customer not really.

Well I accept what you're saying though I believe it is down to perspective. Thing is, I've been playing this game for ages. I log in, I fly some ships, I don't really do mining, I don't do BGS actively, though of course anything I do I suppose I'm interfering with it, I don't Power Play, I barley pay any attention to the thousands of factions other than to see who is offering me the most lucrative contracts. I potter about in SRV's on planets. I may have a 'small world' view in this big universe game, but there is enough to keep me going, keep me occupied and entertained. Other than down time for patches and one prolonged incident once when I couldn't log on (a few days), I have had no issues with the game. Lucky me.

So I do view the game as a success. It did (and does) what it said it would do on the tin, for me.

I completely accept that others have different views, different requirements and different expectations, however, after all these years, I would have thought that those that did not get what they wanted should accept it, it's a shame, but there it is.

The older I get the more I sympathise with his character.

I've been this guy since my teens.

...it’s 3 days after a patch dropped and Obsidianant has made 3 MS Flight Simulator videos and no Elite Dangerous video about the update.
Frontier will definitely be losing me to MSFS when it releases, at least for the short term. Heck, time I normally would be playing ED is already being reallocated to watching other people play MSFS, so once I myself can play it, well let's just say my FC won't be needing any more Tritium in the upcoming months :p

But "losing" is a relative term - I'm never going to uninstall ED as long as it actually works, and as soon as something exciting happens in the galaxy again (like a new Interstellar Initiative or the release of Odyssey), I'll be back.

Top Bottom