You should ask, how much players care about new Thargoid CG?

Sounds like me after an episode of real life. You just get back from work, and all you wanna do is dock up, and turn off.

The Mrs doesn't approve. But then, I'm not after approval, I'm after sanity time!

Went with my normal wing. Went much faster. Less ragey.
Today I played warships
King George needs to be broken in

When they add Thargoid scouts and more fun gameplay for smaller ships then I might care about thargoids.

Thargoids should be hunted with a Cobra MkIII, anything else is Heresy.

Having/had Great fun with the S&R and current combat CGs

Would like to be able to use my Sidey for combating Thargoids, but she shined in S&R

Dont care about the CR rewards for the combat one, as the challenging wing play makes the time worthwhile for me

When they add Thargoid scouts and more fun gameplay for smaller ships then I might care about thargoids.

Thargoids should be hunted with a Cobra MkIII, anything else is Heresy.
It is meant to be more like an endgame-activity, which is what this game is lacking of.

The game is not a linear ship progression to the last three ships.
Sorry, who officially said its not?

I believe multiship Elite games always were designed that some ships are *better* than others so game progression partially defined by ship progression.
Its not "make all ships rock-paper-scissors equally strong" kind of game. Not saying it could be, but it does not have to and its not.

Last edited:
Exactly, exactly. And how much did you pay? Was that really that much money that you can expect to be entertained non stop by ever new stuff for 2 or three years?
Actually, when I look at what Elite plus Horizons costs, once, not monthly or per feature, I can't help myself thinking how cheap we all got away here with a game which still gets more updates and stuff.

The entertainment you bought with your money is long since used up, and still you get some more new stuff. Plus many updates next year. You don't even have to be a "fanboy" or whatever to understand that Elite is really cheap for what it offers.

Sorry, i didn't set the original asking price, FD did.
Besides, and this is of course highly subjective, i'm still underwhelmed by what that original purchase bought me, even just in the first year.
I also don't calculate value for money as "hours used divided by money paid", this is a computer game, not a kitchen appliance.
This game has an asking price, it has paid for expansions, it has a store for cosmetic items, it had a season pass and (if you can believe that) has charged people for beta testing.
So, anyone throwing smartass JFK quotes at me about "what have you done for the game" should not expect a sympathetic reply.
When did releasing a computer game become a time unlimited license to print money anyway ?
Go on, hit me with server costs and wages then...i'm sure my heart will break.

Last edited:
Zero interest to shoot at Thargoids, rather would shoot at the people who shoot at Thargoids.

Well I used to think that way, until 5 weeks elapsed with nothing further to even speculate on regarding what's going on, what the big picture is, the moral aspect - are we heroes or villains etc. Now with a CG to kill them, the likelihood of some plot twist where we find these to be 'good Thargoids' fell to pretty much nil in my mind, so I thought I'd kill a few for the challenge since clearly Fdev put a lot of effort into making this a very sophisticated and exhilarating combat scenario. The mechanics were great but I can't say I feel good about it until I have either a story motive to murder more of these or a proper reward, one that at least covers repair costs...

Well I used to think that way, until 5 weeks elapsed with nothing further to even speculate on regarding what's going on, what the big picture is, the moral aspect - are we heroes or villains etc. Now with a CG to kill them, the likelihood of some plot twist where we find these to be 'good Thargoids' fell to pretty much nil in my mind, so I thought I'd kill a few for the challenge since clearly Fdev put a lot of effort into making this a very sophisticated and exhilarating combat scenario. The mechanics were great but I can't say I feel good about it until I have either a story motive to murder more of these or a proper reward, one that at least covers repair costs...

Very interesting. While FD insisted from the very beginning on the idea of choosing your own way (trail blazing blablabla), I always had the feeling that if you decided to pewpew mindlessly, you got the meaty stuff (new wing combat mechanics / opponents right now) while everyone else would get the same old A to B fedex, push-one-button-and-wait gameplay.

It is particularly obvious in 2.4 which is probably the most useless expansion (for me) I ever had in E : D and a lot of other games.

Frankly, it is FD at its best : design a great new type of combat then make PERFECTLY sure only a small fraction of the player base will use it. Less than 500 players so far in the Andronicus CG !

Even the most irritated hater knows this game has a much larger player base.

Problem : all those CUSTOMERS are NOT having fun in THIS cg.

Does it mean the CG is bad ? No, it is actually quite good But only for the selected few, only for the-cherry-on-the-ice-on-the-top-on-the-edge players. Well, guess what, the other guys (also known as CUSTOMERS) *ALSO* would like to have fun. I know, incredible, right ?

OK, let's be fair here : two or three white knights are enjoying their (*VERY*) interesting mini-game (drop cargo, watch thargo scooping cargo, write it down in some excell spreadsheet) and will probably post 20 msgs saying how their wet dreams have been fullfilled by 2.4.

But ultimately, numbers will tell FD that the majority of their player base did NOT take part in this (good) CG. Too bad FD doesn't care : the 2.4 expansion could have been quite enjoyable.

Yes, I know, these disgruntled players could still go to YouTube and watch the CANONN pilots while they find a new bunch of shaunty towns in space with 4 or 5 brand new audio logs to listen to. No doubt this would keep them busy until the next micro change to mining / exploration / whatever non combat stuff is made.

Still ... They complain on the forum. Unbelievable, isn't it ?.

Last edited:
Sorry, who officially said its not?

I believe multiship Elite games always were designed that some ships are *better* than others so game progression partially defined by ship progression.
Its not "make all ships rock-paper-scissors equally strong" kind of game. Not saying it could be, but it does not have to and its not.

Sorry, who officially said that the game is a linear progression to the last three ships?

That idea is absurd really, as there is zero evidence in game that everything culminates with the "last three" ships. For starters, what three ships would those even be? Beluga, Type-9, and Anaconda, right? Where in the game is there any mention of, storyline related to, or requirement for any specific ship?

The only linear progression in the game are reputation, PP rank, trade rank (Combat, Trading, Exploration, and CQC), and navy rank.

Ships are tools, and there is no activity that requires one ship over another, outside of landing at outposts (sorry "big three!")

An end game activity does not have to lock out several smaller ships. The game is not a linear ship progression to the last three ships.

I'm sorry that your starter ship can't defeat the most powerful enemy in the game. I'm not sure how to hold your hand on this one, but you might want to consider upgrading past the sidewinder if you want to do the more dangerous things.

I'm sorry that your starter ship can't defeat the most powerful enemy in the game. I'm not sure how to hold your hand on this one, but you might want to consider upgrading past the sidewinder if you want to do the more dangerous things.

Thats how you DO the more dangerous things instead of hiding in the largest ships one can find which has to make no compromises in regards to fitting.

We do not even get the tools to TRY fighting with small ships with small hardpoints when the modules are all medium sized.

Which one of us really needs hand holding i wonder...

You could try a wing of small ships but I doubt the goid will scale down - it for sure scales down to the number in the wing, but I can't say the same as regards the composition. So instead of 4x4 ax hardpoints you'd have 4x2 ax hardpoints which would make for a somewhat tedious slugfest with each ship in the wing entering and exiting the instance a dozen times to rearm.

Sorry, who officially said that the game is a linear progression to the last three ships?

Fdev implied a linear progression to the end game ships when they nerfed multicrew payouts out of fear that players would get Anacondas too quickly. If there is no intended linear progression, it shouldn't matter how quickly players acquire Anacondas.

Thats how you DO the more dangerous things instead of hiding in the largest ships one can find which has to make no compromises in regards to fitting.

We do not even get the tools to TRY fighting with small ships with small hardpoints when the modules are all medium sized.

Which one of us really needs hand holding i wonder...

Oh please, you want a sidey to be able to fight a Thargoid? If they could do that, imagine how quickly we'd wreck them in an FDL or Gunship. Use common sense.

You know what? I'm just gonna block you now, I have no desire to hear any more nonsense.

So I went today with my Corvette to Maia for engine upgrades, so why not to try Thargoids? I armed ship, went to clossest NHSS and fought alone. However, after 10 minutes of dancing I gave up. After new "addapting" phase there is just no piont doing it solo. And all this work for CG? No thank you, just bring back SAR CG with pods. That one was good. (too short)

Oh please, you want a sidey to be able to fight a Thargoid? If they could do that, imagine how quickly we'd wreck them in an FDL or Gunship. Use common sense.

Well the goids DO scale according to how many are fighting it, so it's not a huge stretch to also scale to types that are fighting it.

Also a fully HRP/MRP engineer modded Corvette with g5 military bulkhead appears to melt just as quickly as a dinky little FAS, so I don't think the small ship thing is quite as common sense as you suggest, at least from what I observed in my fights (though there are loads of factors like whether you suffer multiple Thargon swarms, caustic missiles, lightning strikes etc)

Well the goids DO scale according to how many are fighting

No, they don't. But there is random variety.

And yes, it's pretty cool that medium ships are as effective fighting them, as the biggest ships in game. Mostly due to all the spray attacks, a smaller hull will mostly catch less of the volley even if the pilot isn't ace at avoiding. Even small stuff can be made useful with flaks, but thats pushing it. To easy to get melted with low HP. But you can be useful :D

Top Bottom