Your dream small exhibit pack!? : What would your choices be?

I would highly recommend people who requested two-toed sloths as exhibit animals to take a look at the following posts, as I think their speed both on the ground as well as when climbing might surprise you:
When we think of sloths, we tend to think of three-toed, but in reality, the two aren't even closely related. Therefore, the perception we have of sloths and their physical constraints may not apply to every case.
In my opinion it's not really about what Two Toed Sloth can do but rather what they realistically do.

Can they move quickly on the ground? Yes. Do they usually. Not really.

When you happen upon Sloth exhibit in a zoo, it'll most likely be sleeping or casually treading a single branch. And I think that - what Sloths have to offer as zoo animals is deciding factor habitat - exhibit wise for Planet Zoo. At least in my opinion.

I mean a nice amount of exhibit animals can be and are more active in the wild. They have to be. So using that argument they would have to be habitat animals, no matter of their size, purely because they would have a lot to offer when it comes to potential activity.

But in zoos? They mostly just stand around. Similar to Sloths.

At the end of the day I don't see much difference. If we got Sloth as habitat animal, the habitat itself wouldn't end up looking that much, if at all, different than something Walkt.Exhibit would already give us, would only increase a chance of unrealistic (or maybe rather uncommon) Sloth behavior, compared to it being looped to branches.

When you happen upon Sloth exhibit in a zoo, it'll most likely be sleeping or casually treading a single branch.
I can see where you are coming from, but then again, the same can be said about some of the existing habitat animals, particularly crocodilians, which are even more lethargic.

In the game most habitat animals are already way more active than they should be, and as long as two-toed sloths are equally more active (proportionally), I see no problem in terms of consistency. That being said, they still would have to spend 99% of their time in trees and climbing frames, like I've described in the linked posts. If we get a second koala case, that wouldn't work with sloths at all, two-toed or not. This is why I had described two-toed sloths being possible for habitats as barely doable and three-toed sloths definitely not.

In light of all this, I'm fine with both sloths being walkthrough exhibit, but I wouldn't be fine with having three-toed sloths as habitat. This difference is what I wanted to point out, otherwise there is no problem to people asking for two-toed sloth as exhibit animals, as long as they are aware of the differences.

Here's one of the videos from the linked posts showing how a two-toed sloth in a zoo would behave on climbing frames, without additional external stimuli that would provoke it to get triggered:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCuVXzeJT3Q

The sentence that appears at the very beginning of the video is pretty much there for sarcasm, as the sloth in the video covers the same distance mentioned within seconds, but to be fair that trivial fact is for three-toed sloths.

I got to thinking, the Kiwi would actually be perfect for this set up. They would like darker places and this could be used for that.
Restricting the kiwi to a walkthrough exhibit would be odd though, they'd work perfectly well as a habitat animal. Frontier's had no qualms with making nocturnal animals habitat species before.

EDIT: I've also never heard of a kiwi walkthrough in a zoo, they're quite shy so it seems like that wouldn't work.

Last edited:
Frontier's had no qualms with making nocturnal animals habitat species before.
I'm hoping for proper nocturnal and crepuscular behaviors with this pack, so that there's finally an incentive to playing at night and/or building nocturnal houses.

EDIT: I've also never heard of a kiwi walkthrough in a zoo, they're quite shy so it seems like that wouldn't work.
That would depend on what is meant by walkthrough.

Although I agree about making kiwi habitat animals. Every species that can work as a habitat animal should be made as one, due to limitations with the exhibit system in the game.

Restricting the kiwi to a walkthrough exhibit would be odd though, they'd work perfectly well as a habitat animal. Frontier's had no qualms with making nocturnal animals habitat species before.

They are also surprisingly big, you might think from images they are the size of quails, but in reality they are slightly bigger than a cat.

I got to see real ones when I went to NZ and it caught me by surprise how big they were. The enclosure was pretty big too, it was an indoor nocturnal enclosure so you could see them active (they were very active! Running the whole enclosure and it wasn't even feeding time). Definitely not a walk-through exhibit animal either, it was strictly a no noise and no touching the glass when in the viewing house.

Last edited:
I would highly recommend people who requested two-toed sloths as exhibit animals to take a look at the following posts, as I think their speed both on the ground as well as when climbing might surprise you:
When we think of sloths, we tend to think of three-toed, but in reality, the two aren't even closely related. Therefore, the perception we have of sloths and their physical constraints may not apply to every case.
Dr. Burrito, what small mammal would you prescribe for an exhibit? You make a very good case for the sloth species. I definitely think there are species which don't fit in either the category of exhibit or habitat. A sloth would be perfect for a walk through I reckon, it's really cool to see a sloth up close, even when sleeping, but I doubt many zoo visitors in real life hang about for hours waiting to see behaviour. Which is the Hoffmann? two toe or three? I met a fairly active hoffman sloth but when I say active I mean like, one burst of energy a day haha :)

There's zero reason to put a kiwi in an exhibit, even a big one. They're as large as cats, they have the mobility of the other ratites (ostrich, cassowary), they can use the burrow enrichment, and even though they're nocturnal, so are a bunch of animals in the game, technically speaking, and besides, simulating a nocturnal house isn't too much trouble if you want to be realistic (yeah, the godrays are a pain, but besides that issue it works fine).

Edit: They also can't be a walkthrough species, so the walkthrough exhibit is exactly not perfect.

Okay, thanks for bringing up those points. I know they’re shy, I guess I wasn’t really thinking of that point. More of the nocturnal/dark house, figuring that if it worked for bats it would work for kiwis.

The only zoo I’ve seen kiwis in had them indoors in a dark room, so i think i was just pulling from that limited knowledge.

There's zero reason to put a kiwi in an exhibit, even a big one. They're as large as cats, they have the mobility of the other ratites (ostrich, cassowary), they can use the burrow enrichment, and even though they're nocturnal, so are a bunch of animals in the game, technically speaking, and besides, simulating a nocturnal house isn't too much trouble if you want to be realistic (yeah, the godrays are a pain, but besides that issue it works fine).

Edit: They also can't be a walkthrough species, so the walkthrough exhibit is exactly not perfect.
Great points made! they're deffo too big for an exhibit!
Okay, thanks for bringing up those points. I know they’re shy, I guess I wasn’t really thinking of that point. More of the nocturnal/dark house, figuring that if it worked for bats it would work for kiwis.

The only zoo I’ve seen kiwis in had them indoors in a dark room, so i think i was just pulling from that limited knowledge.
I think I was imagining the same from what i've seen at zoos, but I imagine they roam more space in the national parks!

These are my choices - I have not included any mammals yet (as I'm not sure exactly how the walkthrough exhibits will work yet) and also traded out one of the amphibians, so I can have more reptiles and invertebrates.

Reptiles
Red spitting cobra, Naja pallida
Native range: Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania

While not the most commonly-kept cobra species (although by no means is it the rarest either), this snake from the savannahs and semi-deserts of the Horn of Africa is probably one of the most beautiful members of the cobra family.

Temperature – 20-27 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 70%
Biomes – Desert, Grassland
Group size – 1-4
Exhibit type – A new type of grassland exhibit, with loamy soil and clumps of grass as well as several large rocks and a dead tree branch

1665675013845.png

2. Burmese vine snake, Ahaetulla fronticincta
Native range: Myanmar

This elegant venomous snake is kept and bred in a number of zoos and aquariums in the United States. They are unusual among snakes in that they can be kept in large groups (the California Academy of Science has 23 in their exhibit) and are unique in being the only tree-dwelling snake to feed entirely on a diet of fish.

Temperature – 25-30 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 60-100%
Biomes – Aquatic, Tropical
Group size – 1-30
Exhibit type – A new type of tropical exhibit, where shallow water extends all the way around the central tree

1665675083039.png

3. Turquoise dwarf gecko, Lygodactylus williamsi
Native range: Tanzania

A Critically Endangered tiny gecko from the mountain forests of East Africa, which are now managed as part of a breeding programme here in Europe and are kept by 61 collections listed on Zootierliste. While normally they can only be kept in small groups, they can be kept in larger groups if they have a large enclosure with lots of cover (which I think describe the current Planet Zoo exhibits very well).

Temperature – 23-26 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 60-80%
Biomes – Tropical
Group size – 3-8
Exhibit type – A new type of montane forest exhibit, with Spanish moss and epiphytes with a large quantity of rocks on the ground

1665675121255.png

4. Peter's banded skink, Scincopus fasciatus
Native range: Algeria, Chad, Libya, Mauritania, Niger, Sudan, Tunisia

Although often thought of as a desert skink, this species may actually live more on moist savannahs on the edge of the Sahara. They are quite large, are kept in a small number of zoos, have bred in captivity and are sociable by lizard standards, so could be kept in groups in the exhibit.

Temperature – 30-37 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 50%
Biomes – Grassland
Group size – 4-7
Exhibit type – The new type of grassland exhibit

1665675148257.png

Amphibians
Kaiser's spotted newt, Neurergus kaiseri
Native range: Iran

A brilliantly-coloured species of Asian newt that is now increasingly kept in captivity (32 collections listed on Zootierliste alone); they are threatened in the wild by drought and are part of a captive breeding programme.

Temperature – 15-25 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 30-60%
Biomes – Aquatic, Desert
Group size – 1-6
Exhibit type – A new type of semi-aquatic exhibit, where the land area is sand with sandstone rocks and dry grass

1665675180004.png

6. Rio Chingual torrenteer treefrog, Hyloscirtus pantostictus
Native range: Colombia, Ecuador

This species of South American frog is Critically Endangered in the wild. Although they have been kept in captivity, this exact species has never bred (although other frogs in the same genus have bred in captivity, so I am comfortable including them here). They also have the benefit of being absolutely beautiful.

Temperature – 19-22 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 85-95%
Biomes – Aquatic, Tropical
Group size – 1-5
Exhibit type – The new montane forest exhibit, with a rocky torrent enrichment item

1665675209189.png

Invertebrates
Surinam grasshopper, Tetrataenia surinama
Native range: Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Peru, Suriname

Now that we have automated exhibit animal populations, I hope that it could open the doors to smaller invertebrates that can be kept in large numbers (garden chafer beetles and hissing cockroaches would also be ideal recipients of this feature). This brightly-coloured grasshopper is kept in zoos, is about the size of the Lehmann's poison frog and tells a conservation story, as they flourish most in regenerating rainforest.

Temperature – 23-28 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 75-85%
Biomes – Tropical
Group size – 5-100
Exhibit type – Tropical exhibit

1665675306351.png

8. Golden-eyed stick insect, Peruphasma schultei
Native range: Peru

A Critically Endangered species of South American stick insect that is increasingly common in zoos; if we got a threatened species of stick insect, this would be my preference over the Lord Howe (the golden-eyed is very easy to keep and breed, while the Lord Howe is supposed to be very difficult to establish).

Temperature – 20-22 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 40-60%
Biomes – Tropical
Group size – 1-20
Exhibit type – The new montane forest exhibit

1665675406109.png

9. Barbados brown velvet worm, Epiperipatus barbadensis
Native range: Barbados

Velvet worms are among the most ancient of all living fossils, with very similar creatures being one of the first living things on land. As velvet worms go, these are one of the easier species in captivity and can be kept in a similar manner to poison frogs.

Temperature – 22-27 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 80-90%
Biomes – Tropical
Group size – 1-40
Exhibit type – Tropical exhibit

1665675437107.png

10. Olimpia's ground beetle, Carabus olympiae
Native range: Italy

A brightly-coloured European beetle which is threatened in the wild and was, for a time, kept in a captive breeding programme by London Zoo which shows they are able to be bred in a captive setting (unlike the titan beetle).

Temperature – 20-24 degrees Celsius
Humidity – 50-60%
Biomes – Taiga, Temperate
Group size – 1-6
Exhibit type – Temperate exhibit

1665675480597.png

Dr. Burrito, what small mammal would you prescribe for an exhibit? You make a very good case for the sloth species. I definitely think there are species which don't fit in either the category of exhibit or habitat. A sloth would be perfect for a walk through I reckon, it's really cool to see a sloth up close, even when sleeping, but I doubt many zoo visitors in real life hang about for hours waiting to see behaviour. Which is the Hoffmann? two toe or three? I met a fairly active hoffman sloth but when I say active I mean like, one burst of energy a day haha :)
I think it is best to wait and see exactly how the new walkthrough exhibits work in the game before coming to conclusions about what species would do best in them. However, I can say this. Inclusion of a mammal in the exhibit system is a gamechanger, walk-in or not. It opens up possibilities for mammals that are too small for habitats (e.g. elephant shrews, jerboas, some tenrecs, etc.), which were also considered too active for the exhibit system due to how limited the looped animations were traditionally.

To answer your other question, Hoffmann's are two-toed. Three-toed sloths are always in slow-mo if you will, which is a good indicator for the untrained eye.

As I said:
simulating a nocturnal house isn't too much trouble if you want to be realistic
They are always kept in nocturnal houses, but they still need room to move, so the exhibit isn't suitable. I just can't imagie why you'd want to restrict an animal like this to an exhibit when it's perfectly suited to a habitat. AFAIK Chinese pangolins are always kept indoors in dark rooms, too, and you'd be hard pressed to find Cuvier's dwarf caimans in a big outdoor habitat (or Nile monitors for that matter).

As I said:

They are always kept in nocturnal houses, but they still need room to move, so the exhibit isn't suitable. I just can't imagie why you'd want to restrict an animal like this to an exhibit when it's perfectly suited to a habitat. AFAIK Chinese pangolins are always kept indoors in dark rooms, too, and you'd be hard pressed to find Cuvier's dwarf caimans in a big outdoor habitat (or Nile monitors for that matter).
I agree with nzfanatic. Even the enclosure I saw in NZ was about the same size we use for wombats and Tasmanian devils in Aus, and they weren't sitting around. They were surprisingly active and running around and jumping over the logs in the entire enclosure playing chasey with each other.

I don't quite have an extensive list, but I'd love to see some crabs added! The Halloween Moon Crab in particular, they are so colorful and cute (they would have fitted in with the new pack so well T.T) Some more colorful frogs (no particular type) would also be appreciated! And then: Ants please!! Ant colonies are fascinating!

But to be honest, I'm mainly excited for small mammals! So hamsters, mice, rats, pika, maybe even chinchilla! (Guinea pigs and rabbits I'd rather get as habitat animals, as they are often in a habitat with bigger animals in it and I feel as though the space just wouldn't be enough in an exhibit!)

Last edited:
Top Bottom