Your zoo visits

I stopped by the Richmond Zoo recently.

-snip-

Oh no, do they not have markhor anymore? I was considering stopping by on my way to DC for a weekend this fall, but the list you posted pales in comparison to how star-studded I remember it looking, particularly for ungulates. Maybe it's just that I haven't looked at their roster in a while, and in that time some of the things that seemed rare and hard to find at the time have since crossed my path regardless? (gemsbok, Dama gazelle, both tapirs) Maybe I'll still stop by, time allowing, but man no markhors would be a bit disappointment.

Visited the highland wildlife park for the first time this year in hopes of seeing the new european elk twins, and well they have grown up pretty fast , 2 or so weeks old.

Untitled design (14).jpg

In comparison, the male elk. Much more active throughout the habitat nowadays.
Untitled design (9).jpg

The vicuna finally showed up for me in a long time, for the past 2 years only 1 was visible if I was lucky. Saw 4 of them together on the slope looking towards the distant wisent herd.
Untitled design (6).jpg

The wolves were also seen being fed, which is a new sight for me, never once seen the wolves being fed for the countless visits I have been in the park. For the first half of the visit, the wolves were being treated to some bone enrichments.
Untitled design (10).jpg

Waiting to be fed actual food, the wolves get excited and try to jump onto the fence without much success.
Untitled design (8).jpg

Seen in the main reserve was also a eurasian curlew, its noisy calls however couldn't overpower the nesting barnacle and greylag geese honking at every passing car.
Untitled design (13).jpg

Lastly, a suprising new bird for me, the red legged partridge was seen on a mound of dirt by the entrance.
Untitled design (5).jpg

Last edited:
I went to Chongqing Zoo in China a few days ago. This zoo has become very popular in China in recent years. I think it is probably because of the pandas. Some of the exhibits in this zoo are very good, although they were built in the last century, but some of them are very bad. This zoo has some very rare Asian animals, some of which are unique to China. I hope they can improve some of the bad conditions as soon as possible.

Let’s first look at the zoo’s most popular scene on the Chinese Internet: “Panda Mahjong”
IMG_20240607_100426.jpg

I personally am very opposed to this practice because it goes against the natural habits of pandas, but... the "popularity" it brings is very considerable.
Below is a male Asian elephant of great size with very beautiful tusks.
IMG_20240607_152105.jpg

Next is the tiger subspecies unique to China, the South China tiger, which is now extinct in the wild.
IMG_20240607_120306.jpg
IMG_20240607_161111.jpg

A leopard of unknown subspecies. I think if it is not the North China leopard, then it is the Indochinese leopard.
IMG_20240607_155133_1.jpg

Next is the Asian golden cat, which is relatively rare in zoos around the world (I hope it will be in the game). This male is very huge, but also very shy. However, I was lucky enough to take a picture of it eating.
IMG_20240608_092531.jpg
VID_20240608_09523720246122149511.gif

The sika deer exhibition area in this zoo is also very special.
IMG_20240607_180925(1).jpg

Their ape exhibit also looked nice, but too many electric fences clearly ruined the look.
IMG_20240608_103916.jpg

Finally, let me once again show you the “very scary” popularity of giant pandas.The attractiveness score of the giant panda in the game is really unreasonable and even a bit ridiculous.
IMG_20240608_105949.jpg

Top Bottom