Planet Zoo: Oceania Pack and Free Update 1.15 Out Now! 🐧

The new scenario is just one cute moment over another one. Just finished it and no spoilers but the final letter with Emma warmed my heart. Great job Frontier. 🥹
Planet_Zoo_Screenshot_2023.09.22_-_20.22.06.12.jpg

Planet_Zoo_Screenshot_2023.09.22_-_18.16.56.00.jpg

Also, I took a photo of one of my Little Penguins and it work so well as “judging penguin meme” lol.
IMG_6254.jpeg

Weirdly I still haven’t seen the animals in my own game. I want to wait until their habitats are ready and I have only had one evening to play this week which I spent on building a siamang enclosure 🤷🏼 (with cabbage trees at least).

Pro-Tip for anyone disappointed that the temperate Oceania map is on islands - if you select one of the pre-set height maps (not the sculpted map) it gives you a much bigger area to work with. It's still on an island, but given the room it's easier to hide. So that's something. All you need to do is flatten the pre-set terrain work to start from scratch.

But please, please, please Frontier find a way to add in the standard temperate biome map to this region!

I'm just going to repost this here from another member so the devs hopefully see it:

there is one small suggestion I'd like to put forward, and it concerns the representation of Kiwi names in the game. Currently, the Kiwi names in the game seem to be using the Australian name list. While I understand that New Zealand and Australia are geographically close, they each have their unique cultures and identities. Therefore, it would be highly appreciated if Planet Zoo could make a small yet meaningful adjustment by introducing a separate list of Māori names specifically for Kiwis.
Māori culture is an integral part of New Zealand's heritage, and incorporating Māori names for Kiwi animals in the game would not only be more accurate but also a beautiful nod to the rich cultural diversity of the region. It would help players like me feel more connected to the virtual world you've created and add an extra layer of authenticity to the Kiwi enclosures.

Ngā mihi me te aroha nu, A Kiwi Zookeeper

Frontier, what the hell?

I cant wait to get my hands on that pack i have every pack for planet zoo and i love playing it makeing habitates and interacting with the animals makes me smile everyday
First koala baby after haveing to struggle.png

Counterpoint: no region in the game has naming conventions sensitive tto the in depth local cultures.
New Zealand doesn't have Australian Aboriginal people. Do North American animals get Australian Aboriginal names? Do European animals?

Edit: A lot of North American animals receive indigenous American names, though. All the Asian and African animals get names in languages from Asia and Africa.

Maori is NZ's only native culture. It wouldn't be that hard to find a selection of names online and put them in the filter.

Edit: A lot of North American animals receive indigenous American names, though. All the Asian and African animals get names in languages from Asia and Africa.
And Oceanian animals get names from oceanian languages. The problem is that you treat other continents as monoliths. Lots of animals in the game get names from culture thousands of kilometers away from them (Japanese macaque is a notable one).

So while I'd be happy if they'd be adding Maori name pool for the kiwi, it's weird to protest it now considering the "generic culture continental names" have been a problem since base game.

And Oceanian animals get names from oceanian languages. The problem is that you treat other continents as monoliths. Lots of animals in the game get names from culture thousands of kilometers away from them (Japanese macaque is a notable one).

So while I'd be happy if they'd be adding Maori name pool for the kiwi, it's weird to protest it now considering the "generic culture continental names" have been a problem since base game.
We're protesting it now because it affects us as New Zealanders, I'm sure previous people have also put in a word for their animals being named poorly, the thing is that while dialects are different even within the same continent, I know. Especially in just meer theming they still work, they still 'feel' their areas (asian, etc). Maori is a vastly different language to the Australian Aboriginals native language, infact most polyneasian langauges are vastly different.

It's pretty late here so my wording may not be the best.

What I'm trying to say is that we aren't saying it should ONLY be for the kiwi or anything. And we are bringing it up as (If it isnt obvious) New Zealands birds are such a large part of our culture, and maori is so under-represented in games, that it feels really unfair that it isnt even IN the pool at all.

It really wouldn't be so hard for them to go in and add a few new lines to their text file with a few Maori names like Aroha and stuff. It's the least they can do in a pack that is featured around polyneasian culture.

the thing is that while dialects are different even within the same continent, I know. Especially in just meer theming they still work, they still 'feel' their areas (asian, etc). Maori is a vastly different language to the Australian Aboriginals native language, infact most polyneasian langauges are vastly different.
That's just cultural ignorance. The grouping of east-asian names feels right to you as an outsider, that's used to the region "feeling asian" as you said.

So take that perspective, and see that to the Frontier developers in the UK all Oceanian cultures are equally far away from there and "feel right" lumped together.

I for one would love them to add proper maori name catalogue, but I also think it's not as big an issue as is being made of it. It's not like animals actually care for which exact local human culture destroyed their habitat.

Last edited:
I think that what some people are trying to say is that Frontier can add Maori names to the Oceanian pool of names, but then we can get a dingo with a maori name and a kiwi with an Australian name because the names are assigned to the animals in base of their continent, not their region, and this is happening with all other cultures too.

Top Bottom