Game Discussions Bethesda Softworks Starfield Space RPG

Does anyone understand how mods work and are implemented (I need an explanation in "mods for dummies" terms- I'm no programmer!)

I want to be able to display all the system names in the map. There's a mod for that but it seems to be loaded by an app (fodmod?) & I'm averse to using extra apps. I'm already using SFSE, Plugins.txt to run LevelledVendorCredits & LowerRegistrationFee mods. I've also loaded in the SFSE Save Ships mod but not yet tried that in ship builder (spent the last week recovering PC after a catastrophic Windows error & had to reload Windows, then overload with the 22H version as my 1800 version wouldn't update).

I'd like to load the ShowStarNames mod by hand, that's what I've been doing so far...do I just put the downloaded files in the appropriate location for it to start working?

I looked at the ShowStarNames mod on Nexus, and it does give instructions for installing it by hand, on the main page. Looks like you just have to copy stuff into the right folders. Of course if you do it wrong, fixing it will also be manual. Also you'd have to uninstall it manually. But it appears that it can be done.

I've been using Vortex to install all my mods. It's been working quite well and makes installing stuff pretty easy. It doesn't have the most intuitive interface, but I'm used to it now and it's all good.

I like the idea of this mod so I installed it myself, using Vortex. Vortex did all the heavy lifting and let me choose from the various options (I guess these can be changed later by editing some .ini files, but I let Vortex do the work).

The mod is working fine after installing with Vortex (yay, I like it).

At the moment I consider Vortex to be the best way to install mods for Starfield. It seems to do all the right stuff. It even updates stuff like SFSE without me having to worry about it. Like I said, the UI isn't great, but functionally it works really well.

Good luck with it!

20240210061939_1.jpg

Last edited:
Being a console player it seems that the mods are what should already be in game ? And hope we get some on the console side as we seem to have to make do? Sooner rather than later

Being a console player it seems that the mods are what should already be in game ? And hope we get some on the console side as we seem to have to make do? Sooner rather than later
Mods can change the game in many, many ways. Whether these features "should" be in the game is a matter of opinion.

Some mods are just quality-of-life things and make the game nicer. Others are actual balance changes and even "cheats", although I don't consider modding a single-player game to ever be cheating. It's all part of the fun of owning a sandbox game.

I've never played on console, so I can't comment on the limitations of that. I don't know if mods will come to console or not.

Mods can change the game in many, many ways. Whether these features "should" be in the game is a matter of opinion.

Some mods are just quality-of-life things and make the game nicer. Others are actual balance changes and even "cheats", although I don't consider modding a single-player game to ever be cheating. It's all part of the fun of owning a sandbox game.

I've never played on console, so I can't comment on the limitations of that. I don't know if mods will come to console or not.
Yeah, the Xbox will have mods available via the creation club under the start menu in game, Bethesda started all the console modding stuff back when they released Fallout 4 on the Xbox in 2015.

Last edited:
I looked at the ShowStarNames mod on Nexus, and it does give instructions for installing it by hand, on the main page. Looks like you just have to copy stuff into the right folders. Of course if you do it wrong, fixing it will also be manual. Also you'd have to uninstall it manually. But it appears that it can be done.

I've been using Vortex to install all my mods. It's been working quite well and makes installing stuff pretty easy. It doesn't have the most intuitive interface, but I'm used to it now and it's all good.

I like the idea of this mod so I installed it myself, using Vortex. Vortex did all the heavy lifting and let me choose from the various options (I guess these can be changed later by editing some .ini files, but I let Vortex do the work).

At the moment I consider Vortex to be the best way to install mods for Starfield. It seems to do all the right stuff. It even updates stuff like SFSE without me having to worry about it. Like I said, the UI isn't great, but functionally it works really well.

Good luck with it!

Thanks!
I'll take another look at the instructions- got a bit overloaded yesterday!

Last edited:

Good luck with it!

I would really like that mod, but I haven't installed it because it requires the script extender. The script extender looks like a complicated mod, which I suspect might break something in the game, if it's not 100% compatible with the latest version of the game. It doesn't come with a warranty.

I would really like that mod, but I haven't installed it because it requires the script extender. The script extender looks like a complicated mod, which I suspect might break something in the game, if it's not 100% compatible with the latest version of the game. It doesn't come with a warranty.
The script extender has been around for a long time -- I use it with Skyrim and have done for years. All the Fallouts used it for mods. This is a new version that supports Starfield.

It's keyed to the version of the game it requires, and will not run with any other version. So you don't have to worry about that. If it runs, then the versions match. Otherwise you'll get an error message and have to update SFSE.

Of course, any mod can break stuff in the game. But the script extender is unlikely to do so itself since it's just an interface for other mods to use.

Mods that use it might break stuff, of course.

I don't think that using SFSE makes it any more dangerous to use mods than it already is, I guess.

Don't think I've come across a "m"class ? But I'm only NG3 but have gone back to my original save . But only 700hrs in-game
M are the capital class pieces, like ECS Constant or UCS Vigilance. They're very much unfinished, not really intended for players, but modders quickly found ways to unlock them. Now a mod exists that makes them more user friendly. Basically it removes whatever rudimentary internals they had, now they are just structural shells in which you build with regular habs. There are M class reactors/shields/engines though that you can also use in regular ships.

Last edited:
Other M class ships, which have not been mentioned, are
These ships the players can destroy. They appear randomly in various systems, but not in any systems. They each seem to have their own set of systems, within which they travel.

I have destroyed the Spacer and Ecliptic battleships, but not the Va'ruun Shroudbearer, because I am unable to find it anymore. I have encountered it once quite early in the game, and I also have a mission for destroying it, but it doesn't have a location marker and the ship doesn't appear anywhere.

Other M class ships, which have not been mentioned, are
These ships the players can destroy. They appear randomly in various systems, but not in any systems. They each seem to have their own set of systems, within which they travel.

I have destroyed the Spacer and Ecliptic battleships, but not the Va'ruun Shroudbearer, because I am unable to find it anymore. I have encountered it once quite early in the game, and I also have a mission for destroying it, but it doesn't have a location marker and the ship doesn't appear anywhere.
The shroudbreaker issue is one I also have it should be at grissom in alpha centauri but along with ECS constant are where the game says they are .

I just hope it will release at all. I'm worried that all the negativity around the game will ultimately make Microsoft pull the plug on both the creation kit and the DLC. Meanwhile I'm having fun building my M-class. I've already poured 5 million credits into it and will need another 2 million until it's complete. Today I've altered and optimized the interior. It's a flying small city. And I've "only" used 12x3x6 space, I have more to play with in that huge shell, but there is no point. I love how the bugs in this game even allow me to show my biggest ship to date and the current work in progress side by side. The Frontier on the right side is already a 112m ship.
Photo_2024-02-12-210458.jpg

Last edited:
I'm currently playing Matters of the Hart storyline (cropped up while trying to find the last three skill magazines), but I'm not getting Valerie's syndicate forces spawning. Anybody found a fix?

I've tried hopping to other places on the planet and going back...two dropships landed but no soldiers appearing from them so at an impasse. I'm wondering if it occured because I think I found Valerie's Cache site while doing a full galaxy exploration trip, so I found it before starting the mission with Coe and Cora. The site is marked as explored (I've cleared out the few gangsters that were left in the nearby former military base there).

Top Bottom