Elite Shipyard

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The loadouts don't seem to allow for you to specify loan equipment slots; these have no insurance cost against them. The insurance on the tool for my ship is rated at 124k, but in game it is only 53k.

Erm, sorry, more feedback ;)

- Thanks for adding the requested "Export to Text" function.
- Please could we have a total tonnage storage counter? Useful at a glance, and supports jump range estimations.
- Default cargo racks seem to be one below their compartment size (a 16 tonne C3 in a C4 compartment).
- Probably dumb question about jump ranges but, does low/full relate to fuel? Could perhaps adjust wording.

Yes it does relate to fuel, fuel tanks themselves seem to be weightless, but not the fuel stored in it, it just like cargo, so running on purpose on low fuel for long-range jumps makes sense.

edit: Oh, in case I forgot: Big, big thank you for adding the export to text function.

Would it be possible to squeeze in an on/off toggle column? Would be handy for thinking about and optimising power draw when, for example, in and out of Super Cruise.
I guess I'm not clear what you mean by this; 0.4 now has checkboxes next to every power usage number, so you can toggle whether that module is counted towards your total power usage (i.e. to compare usage with different combinations of weapons, or with certain modules offlined).
Fortunately it is better than that :)

Another suggestion for something that I think would be quite helpful:
We have a handy summary at the bottom of the total available power generation and usage. Would it be possible to add a summary of how long hardpoint capacitor will last with 2 or 4 pips in Wep (ignoring utility mounts of they draw from Wep too)? Perhaps 0 pips in Wep too if that was helpful and not visually problematic.
I would love to add more detailed analysis of how things perform with various energy distribution patterns (i.e. X pips in weapons gives Y seconds sustained fire, Z seconds to fully recharge from empty). But, I don't know the formulas for that stuff -- do you? Has anyone figured it out? If so, point me to the thread and I'll add the formulas.
The loadouts don't seem to allow for you to specify loan equipment slots; these have no insurance cost against them. The insurance on the tool for my ship is rated at 124k, but in game it is only 53k.
I thought about that but wasn't sure it was worth the UI clutter. Under what circumstances is it possible to even get loaned equipment, other than dying without insurance and getting a Sidewinder with loaners?
- Please could we have a total tonnage storage counter? Useful at a glance, and supports jump range estimations.
- Default cargo racks seem to be one below their compartment size (a 16 tonne C3 in a C4 compartment).
- Probably dumb question about jump ranges but, does low/full relate to fuel? Could perhaps adjust wording.
-Your total fuel and cargo capacity (in tons) is shown at the bottom of the attributes column; and your total ship mass (in tons) is shown at the bottom of the mass column, in two numbers: empty (no fuel, no cargo) and full (100% fuel, full cargo).
-The internals that are set when you first select a ship hull aren't meant to be a maximum-cargo loadout, they're meant to match what actually comes with the ship when you buy it in-game. It's true in many cases that means under-sized cargo racks, but that's the way it is.
-Low and full do relate to fuel, yes; if you hover your mouse over those tags (and anything else with a dotted underline) you should get a little popup that explains that. It's worth also noting that the % fuel in the center column can be confusing -- as you reduce your % fuel from 100 you'll see jump range go up as expected, but once you get below what your FSD will use in a single jump (which is shown in that "Low" column) the range will start going down again, all the way to 0 range at 0 fuel.

Thanks very much for the detailed reply.

Thanks for adding those tick boxes. I'd not noticed them but I can see they work great. Similarly, I missed the cargo tally. derp. So much good info on the site.

I'm not sure about formulas for pips, I will keep my eyes open. There's a detailed thread about shields and on the first page, there are approximations of the effects of pips on them. I am not sure if pips are considered in more detail or not in the equations described through the thread as I have not looked into them yet, but they may be:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=89770

Last edited:

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
@Taleden. Have you considered writing a PM to Michael Brookes asking if he can supply you with the needed stats. As ED is released now all stats should be known and probably don't change (that much). In the crowd source coordinates project he has provided us 3+ times with coordinates for systems with economies. If he has info available in some form and it does not take resources at the side of FD so far he has been willing/able to provide that info. Perhaps the stats are listed in some internal document which he could share or can extracted (using an existing routine) without additional work. It would make your life much easier and the stats even more realiable ;-)

Edit: Excellent work with Elite Shipyard!!

Last edited:

Jon474

Banned
This is fantastic. Thank you for putting it together. It has already influenced a purchasing decision I was about to make for my Sidewinder.

Fly happy

Jon

Thanks very much for this tool... looks really useful.

Now all *I* have to do is work out what the Rating system in-game actually means (other than 'is better than' in some amorphous way).

Best wishes, Cmdr Ruanco

Thanks very much for this tool... looks really useful.

Now all *I* have to do is work out what the Rating system in-game actually means (other than 'is better than' in some amorphous way).

Best wishes, Cmdr Ruanco
Yeah, there's still a lot of work to do figuring out all the game mechanics. The work on jump ranges and shield strength is a great start, but so many things are still poorly understood.

Apologies in advance if it is there and I am missing it again. Please could a "Current max jump range" parameter be added? I assume hull type and fuel tank size are important; perhaps mass and FSD choice too.

Apologies in advance if it is there and I am missing it again. Please could a "Current max jump range" parameter be added? I assume hull type and fuel tank size are important; perhaps mass and FSD choice too.

Calculating this is actually one of the original reasons I made the site, because it does indeed depend on your FSD and total ship mass (including all modules, fuel and cargo).

So, once you've set all of your component choices for your ship, in the upper right (or down below if you have a lower resolution) you'll see a 3x3 grid of numbers with the heading "jump range". These show how many LY you can jump with various combinations of fuel and cargo amounts: the right column assumes a full fuel tank, while the left column assumes you have just barely enough fuel to make one maximum-range jump, after which you'll be at 0 fuel; similarly, the bottom row assumes a full cargo bay, while the top row assumes no cargo at all. The center column and row allow you to set your own fuel and cargo amounts by typing them into the boxes (or use the mouse wheel to scroll by 1, and hold shift to scroll by 10).

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. Thank you for taking the time to explain that but sorry for taking up your time.

I was aware of that information but what I meant was, max jump range scaled buy fuel tank. What isn't clear to me is how many jumps I can make for a given fuel load. It would be nice to know what a ship could theoretically achieve in terms of jump range across the galaxy. A ship that can jump 20 LY can possibly cross 40-60 LYs (jump angles permitting) but I am not sure at the moment.

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough. Thank you for taking the time to explain that but sorry for taking up your time.

I was aware of that information but what I meant was, max jump range scaled buy fuel tank. What isn't clear to me is how many jumps I can make for a given fuel load. It would be nice to know what a ship could theoretically achieve in terms of jump range across the galaxy. A ship that can jump 20 LY can possibly cross 40-60 LYs (jump angles permitting) but I am not sure at the moment.

Ah, I see what you mean; not single-jump range, but total range on a full fuel tank of a given size.

I guess you could ballpark it by taking your fuel tank capacity and dividing it by your FSD's max fuel usage per jump (which is shown in the Attributes of the FSD), rounded down, multiplied by your jump range at 50% fuel (the earlier jumps will be shorter because of the fuel load, but the later jumps will be longer; it should kind of even out).

But beyond that, I don't think there's really any good way to calculate it in the general case, because in order to make all those jumps at those distances, you'd have to have stars at just the right positions in a straight line toward where you're going, which of course you won't. So in practice, your effective range on a full tank will depend a lot on the topology of the stars along the route you want to follow. And of course, you could always elect to make more shorter jumps instead of fewer larger ones, which will also have a big impact on your total effective range.

Anyway, TL;DR it's a complex question that doesn't really have a simple answer, AFAIK.

Ah, cool, fuel used is the "Max" value? Thanks, that helps to know. Figured something like that was there already :)

I agree that the topography is going to be critical to our real max jump endurance. I think a jump endurance value based on 'fuel tank x fuel used per jump' (using worst case or 50% values) would be useful for comparing fits within and across hulls but the calculations you suggest are helpful too.

Maybe just have a "number of maximum jumps" figure somewhere to help without the user having to worry about fuel usage calcs?

Spreading the word by the way, every chance I get I'm using your site to demonstrate things ;)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom