News Meet the Team #10- Jose Castro (Sound Designer)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
memories of a game's sound stay with me long after visuals from a game have faded (sorry Tom, John et al). Partly because of the tendency to stay awake until sunrise playing games, when my eyes have ceased to function - but my ears never seem to tire. I'm really looking forward to sitting and letting it all soak in through my lugs. Great interview!

Jose Castro said:
...both radio and HUD are real devices...can malfunction or be damaged, and replaced by better models with different capabilities (both) or sound sets (HUD). The pilot should have some degree of control over them, from within the ship’s interface –a volume slider, a sound HUD checklist to activate or deactivate types of data sonified. More so, since both HUD and radio can be muted, it is possible to just drift along listening to the sounds that truly belong to the inner space, and nothing else....
I had hoped for just this. Can we get the classic BBC shield-strike sound as an A-HUD option, maybe..? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIuOjEqY8Hk at 1:20)
And I also hereby start the petition for an obviously fake A-HUD soundset.

Jose Castro said:
...Yes, the modules in the ship will have each a series of unique sounds... my long term goal is that the pilot can intuitively have a feel of a particular ship, a grasp of how good it is and how well it is behaving, by listening alone...
My collegues are now looking at me oddly, as I just Squee'd out loud in an open-plan office...

Last edited:
Hi all,

Just a heads up, our next Meet the Team interview will be with Visual Effects Artist James Avery. As well as working on the effects for the game James is also the person that records and edits all of the video updates that we do, including the recent Damocles Trailer. So if you have any specific questions for him let me know!

Hi all,

Just a heads up, our next Meet the Team interview will be with Visual Effects Artist James Avery. As well as working on the effects for the game James is also the person that records and edits all of the video updates that we do, including the recent Damocles Trailer. So if you have any specific questions for him let me know!

I actually have questions:
1. How long scripting and directing (placing cameras, etc.) of the Damocles demo took? Was it incremental process during development?
2. Which environmental effects James likes more so far? Gas clouds, nebulae, stars, etc.

Questions to Mr. Avery:
- The Damocles video was scripted. What are the chances that the public will have access to such scripting for Machinima purposes?
- I love the glass effects of the cockpit (scratches lighting up, frosting during jump). Can you take us through such an effect and explain what you have to do for it to look right the way you want it?

Just a heads up, our next Meet the Team interview will be with Visual Effects Artist James Avery.

I can not wait to see your work in ED, Sir Avery

4660563.png

:)

For Mr Avery:
Loved the Damocles vid!

Will the sfx be restrained enough to not give the impression that everything in the Elite: Dangerous universe is made of high-explosive and filled with kerosene (thinking cheesy Hollywood "action" films)? :D

Space backdrops: again will they be fairly realistic and restrained-ish, or will it end up as a migraine inducing kaleidoscope like some lesser games.

Can you give an example of a particular sfx that you're pleased with (large or small).

Which of your live actors are the most, er, challenging? :smilie:

Can't wait for more vids by the way.

Qs for Mr. Avery... All my VFX specific ones were asked already, so it's all about the editing.

Do you have any other 'filmmaking' type experience? Why were you chosen for that task?

Is there a favourite director you're trying to emulate?

We'll no doubt see some of your VFX in alpha. When's alpha?

Questions to Mr. Avery:
- The Damocles video was scripted. What are the chances that the public will have access to such scripting for Machinima purposes?

Great question! I'd like that answered if possible, with the addendum... Can the writers have it about nowish?

Cheers,

Drew.

I know I'm late but have to say the ship sounds are already amazing and the thought of a really working audio HUD like you are describing it is REALLY awesome :eek:

As a huge audio fan myself I really enjoy the ED-sound => BIG HUG to the audio wizards :)

To Jose Castro

You sir are an absolute wizard!

The sound effects and production are some of the best I've ever heard across all manner of media!

Yes there's some great big fantastic bombastic audio but the most impressive are all the tiny nuances which establish the perfect atmosphere. The kind my mind was so good at imagining back in 1984 when Elite changed my life.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom