Out of Fuel? - Explorer Rescue Service, The Fuel Rats

I am not in-game, how many limpets ? And do you refuel them or one time use ?

Single use I believe, the bigger controllers e.g a1 can control 1 limpet at a time I believe a5 can control 4.

EDShipyard has the 1.3 features. Looks like a 1D controller is optimal for exploration (low mass) as speed of transfer and range would not be critical - this will transfer 1 tonne of fuel at a max range of 0.8km. I think the limpets take up cargo space but you only need to get the stranded CMDR to the nearest scoopable. Which means that you need to know how far they need to travel and what sort of ship they are in to work out how much fuel they need. Get that wrong and you could end up with two CMDRs stranded without enough fuel to get to the nearest scoopable ;)

A quick build to test the weight of kit: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,,2-5K6u7_6u6u8S8I,5225fa05UmpU2jw2UI

EDIT: BTW, limpets are one time use - they go bang in a satisfying way :)

Last edited:
I was wondering how the fact you start in solo and have to jump to enter open would effect you if you logged out or disconnected?

Anyone fancy testing this?bim happy to try in beta6. It may mean if you log you can't be rescued? You may have to remain logged in for any chance.

Hmmm. I'm not sure if that's entirely correct. I know when you First start the game, for your maiden flight, that is truth. But once that's pass, you are actually logging on Open directly.

Otherwise, all your contacts in friends would show as (Solo) and then in Open after the first jump of every session. Not the case. It doesnt seem to work that way.

Also, you wouldnt be able to spot in the Galmap as soon as they log in. And you can.

Lastly, you wouldnt be able to have them join a wing or they couldnt invite people to a wing until after first jump, and this is also possible, which is ultimately what's needed between customer and Rat, so the Rat can jump in their beacon.

here is an option if possible,

The Op can be "King Rat" and he opens a private Server called "The Fuel Rats", anyone who volunteers to be a rat gets access to that server on a permanent basis. The stranded CMDR requests help here and the King Rat gives him access to the server, then they can both log into that server for the transfer.

once complete the King Rat can remove access to the saved CMDR. this way there is no worry of Gankers coming to do the nasty and the transfer is done in a safe environment. Also a couple posts ago somebody mentioned that you cannot name and shame a Ganker on the forums, well once one is discovered the King Rat can keep a record and if the Ganker calls again he will know who he is and not give access.

its a basic idea and a few more rules might need to be thought up/ironed out, but i think it sounds ok.

here is an option if possible,

The Op can be "King Rat" and he opens a private Server called "The Fuel Rats", anyone who volunteers to be a rat gets access to that server on a permanent basis. The stranded CMDR requests help here and the King Rat gives him access to the server, then they can both log into that server for the transfer.

once complete the King Rat can remove access to the saved CMDR. this way there is no worry of Gankers coming to do the nasty and the transfer is done in a safe environment. Also a couple posts ago somebody mentioned that you cannot name and shame a Ganker on the forums, well once one is discovered the King Rat can keep a record and if the Ganker calls again he will know who he is and not give access.

its a basic idea and a few more rules might need to be thought up/ironed out, but i think it sounds ok.

I approve that idea, like I said earlier, some DayZ rescue teams work the same way. Well, without spaceships.

All hail the King Rat!

EDShipyard has the 1.3 features. Looks like a 1D controller is optimal for exploration (low mass) as speed of transfer and range would not be critical - this will transfer 1 tonne of fuel at a max range of 0.8km. I think the limpets take up cargo space but you only need to get the stranded CMDR to the nearest scoopable. Which means that you need to know how far they need to travel and what sort of ship they are in to work out how much fuel they need. Get that wrong and you could end up with two CMDRs stranded without enough fuel to get to the nearest scoopable ;)

A quick build to test the weight of kit: http://www.edshipyard.com/#/L=70g,,2-5K6u7_6u6u8S8I,5225fa05UmpU2jw2UI

EDIT: BTW, limpets are one time use - they go bang in a satisfying way :)

I was having a look at your build, that 6A fuel scoop is way way WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY overpriced for the benefits it gives over the 6B. 21m credits difference ouch

If you can afford it, why not?

Well... back in the good old days before 1.3 you could sell kit without penalty, so cash in the bank or a really expensive fuel scoop made no meaningful difference. If you really needed the cash you just go to any old station with an outfitters and sell the scoop. With 1.3 you'll lose 10% of the value of the scoop if you need to do that. 28m for a 6A means a 2.8m loss if you decide you don't need it, or want to spend 26.2m on something else. So if you have so much spare cash you aren't likely to ever want the 28m for something else, then it makes no difference.

I was having a look at your build, that 6A fuel scoop is way way WWWWAAAAAAYYYYYYY overpriced for the benefits it gives over the 6B. 21m credits difference ouch

Ah yes, I had my Buckyball head on - it saves a few seconds per jump which is all important when you have 700+ jumps ;)

I normally carry C class on the larger scoops when exploring.

What happens in the void stays in the void....

:D

Out of fuel

This looks interesting....
Speed run out to help, explore on the way back, nice.

Cmdr Gimi

Not sure how relevant it is, as most explorers seem to be very concious of their fuel levels. I know I am.
Has anyone actually been stuck while exploring for the lack of fuel.

Sadly yes today. Hit a run of non scoopable stars in unexplored space and my final gamble turned out to be a class L and I had insufficient left to go anywhere else. I tried to supercruise to the nearest star but for some reason my ships engines packed in and I ran out of oxygen only about 30min into my try... (I wasn't paying attention so don't know why).. so I died. More days than I care to mention of exploration data lost. Think I will do something else for a while - as this is too much of a hard core element and doesn't belong in a game (in real life I would have had a large cargo of emergency fuel so don't give me the realism lecture) - I thought the rescue beacon was still there but see it was removed and I didn't notice. Sad day.

Last edited:
feel for you Lochnagar, i went 10K out and 10K back and got very itchy about fuel if i hit more than 3 unscoopables in a row.

@Lochnagar

Your ship uses fuel in supercruise and normal space too. Unless you shut down everything ( and suffocate instead )

Well I didn't actually think I could supercruise to another system - but it was either that or self destruct and loose all my exploration data - why the escape pod didn't carry it with it I dunno - just ruined the game for me actually - I really wanted to be an explorer but what happened to me may be a freak incident, but why would I want to put in all those hours for nothing? Nope not going to do that again.

Well I didn't actually think I could supercruise to another system - but it was either that or self destruct and loose all my exploration data - why the escape pod didn't carry it with it I dunno - just ruined the game for me actually - I really wanted to be an explorer but what happened to me may be a freak incident, but why would I want to put in all those hours for nothing? Nope not going to do that again.

Hours? Don't come to me with your hours put in for nothing... Try months :p

Seriously, I feel your pain but don't let it get you down. Easy come, easy go - so long as you had fun exploring that's all that really matters.

Hours? Don't come to me with your hours put in for nothing... Try months :p

Seriously, I feel your pain but don't let it get you down. Easy come, easy go - so long as you had fun exploring that's all that really matters.

Indeed. Iain666 wins the "Ooh Nasty Award" for painful death

[video=youtube;OISR3al5Bnk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OISR3al5Bnk[/video]

Hmm, so let's see. A drone is 1 T, sits in your cargo hold, and gives 1 T of fuel on use, and then blows up. What's a good number of drones to carry? 32 would tank the jump range quite a bit...

Top Bottom