Abandoned New Trading Tool: ETN

wolverine2710

Tutorial & Guide Writer
I see this price is not in EDDB so this will get cleared out tonight. I do have some filtering but it probably should be more aggressive. Ideally we could make a curated channel within EDDN that filters out the bogus price data from the start, so each tools doesn't have to implement its own filtering.

A curated channel has been discussed way back in January or something. Because of the K.I.S.S principle of the EDDN it was dismissed. It was decided that curating data should be done in the clients/receivers. The eddb (which dumps you use) is heavily curating data btw as is Maddavo. You could write them for info how they did it. Maddavo also had a thread for it: Price sharing - price sanity check algorithms

However recently EDDN got an update to v0.4 (done by Anthornet) where the can be more relays. If I've interpreted it correctly all data is send to the main gateway and then distributed to one or more relays. One such a relay could be publishing ship information or be a curated data channel. But then EDDN should be extended with extra logic or someone should be sending curated data to the EDDN. An alternative: EDDN receives data but before giving it to a relay it sends data to a cleaning service which curates the data and then sends it back to the EDDN. That data is then send to the relay(s). Not practical with schema V1 but with schema V2 (one msg holds all prices for a complete station) it could be do able. Anthornet is currently on vacation so don't know what is exactly possible. Not sure if curating will end up in the EDDN or that we should even want that. K.I.S.S and such. It might be worthwhile to restart the discussion. Feel free to create a post in the EDDN thread.

A pragmatic approach. In an EDDN message one can see what software did send the data. You could filter on that. As in decide that the OCR Error Free tools aka Mobile API based tools data is clean (its comes directly from the web-api of FD) and use that. Discarding the rest of the messages. But then you will lose data. If you look at the EDDN-monitor you notice that OCR data is in the minority lately and that far more data (factor 4-5) is coming from the OEF tools. Atm the most is coming from EDMC which btw supports all public trading tools.

TLDR; Given the fact the EDDN v0.4 has been released and the support for it for schema V2 it is worthwhile to restart a discussion about curating data in the EDDN. In the past we decided against it.

Note: You might consider putting the OEF tools on the OP of ETN. That way it gets more exposure, more users and ETN will receive more pristine and 100% correct data. Please read about the status and legality of the OEF tools here.

Last edited:
I really like this! The UI makes me smile!

Edit: So I put in Branglal: Skripochka Gateway, multi hop route right back to Branglal: Skripochka Gateway (test, its my old trade area, not showing my current LOL), and it shows at top in green that it will take 1h 5m, and will be a 10 hop route netting me just over 10m. Am I reading this correctly?

So how do I read this:
View attachment 44785

Sorry, but again what does each line mean?

This means that the overall route has four trades with the profit/hour on the first line. The last three of those four trades form a loop with the other profit/hour.

Thanks, but I am still lost.
The top line tells me that I am making 3 trades from my starting point and then back to my original spot to then begin the 4 trade loop? I don't understand why the profits are different? Maybe I need more coffee.
Oh, and this tool it out of site. Profits are within s few thousand k of what your tool reports! +1

I created a website that provides a user interface and trading algorithm for EDDN/EDDB trade data. It takes a different approach than most existing tools by estimating trade time and maximizing profit/hour. It's called Elite Trade Net. Check it out: http://etn.io

Select your start system/station, pick your ship and set your starting budget. Then follow one of the recommended routes and profit.

Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues. ETN should run on any HTML5-capable browser.

Great work Joe, I like it, please keep up the good work.

I don't know for you, but I followed the advices of this site twice and twice I had losses.

large.gif

Last edited:
I don't know for you, but I followed the advices of this site twice and twice I had losses.

There's some bad data coming in from EDDN that inflates the profit for some routes. Sorry about that. The algorithm is good at finding profit, so the bad data tends to come to the fore. I'm going to reset to EDDB tonight and limit further input to "error free" data. Try it again tomorrow.

There's some bad data coming in from EDDN that inflates the profit for some routes. Sorry about that. The algorithm is good at finding profit, so the bad data tends to come to the fore. I'm going to reset to EDDB tonight and limit further input to "error free" data. Try it again tomorrow.

Yup, and we can also help by providing fresh data. I use ED: Market Connector since it automatically uploads to EDDN and does not require manual input. There is still some question about whether FD is okay with this but silence is acceptance in my book!

https://github.com/Marginal/EDMarketConnector

It will grab data using the Web-API that Frontier developed for the mobile app. No manual entry or OCR required, 100% accurate.

I really like how this looks. tried it with export of shipyard t6 ship but it says unable to parse cargo size or something like that. :(

I really like how this looks. tried it with export of shipyard t6 ship but it says unable to parse cargo size or something like that. :(

Did you export with stats? That's required. If so post the full export and I'll have a look. ED shipyard seems to have locale specific output. Maybe that's the issue. T6 works fine for me.

my bad. I just checked it again. I did not realize that I needed to click both export and with stats. I thought they were together. getting ready to try first trade route. ty for your work

I just pushed another update. Key improvements:

1. Stop filtering trades based on demand. Should improve opportunities for profit.
2. Removed stations that require a permit from search by default. You can add them back via toggle in the route menu.
3. Add option to show routes through stations with no pad data available (also in route menu). Off by default for safety.
4. Add options menu with button to reset ETN to default settings.
5. Change to visualization algorithm so there is less drawing overlap.
6. Updated help text including links to "error free" EDDN tools.
7. Misc UI polish.

I've cleared all the bad EDDN data that crept in. I'll implement better filtering in a day or two. Until then EDDN data will only be pulled daily via EDDB. That will keep it clean at least.

Top Bottom