UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If my math is correct:
Latitude of closest position to star = ( Orbital Inclination + Axial Tilt ) * -1
Longitude = go to the sun direction until he's above your head

Of course, the planet needs to be a tidally locked.

Tidally locked and the dark side.
In the trailer they were in the dark.
Bet most people don't look for POI's in the scary cold and dark as much as on the friendly sunny side.
Where Palin's setting up his base is a scary dark place.

Edit: I'm assuming its the green light from the side canisters now, it would seem to match up with appearance as it rotates, just a glitch how it appears as a single reflected point i think.
Some of the planet surface lighting effects can behave strangely at times.

Depending how it lies, the UA will also give off it's own green light that can appear as a dot beneath it. I've seen the same thing.

Bet most people don't look for POI's in the scary cold and dark as much as on the friendly sunny side.

It's not that bad once you're there. The whole planet seems to receive a blanket of dull pink light from the surrounding nebula. In some parts, I didn't even need my headlights. But I didn't get into the canyons.

Just a thought: What if the reason we can't find anything in Merope is because the UA's are remnants of a previous event or project. Perhaps the Thargoids were studying us, and their mothership was in Merope when they launched these things, but then had to abort for some reason and left their probes floating around, unable to reprogram them. The UA's seem to point at Merope's star itself, not anything else inside the system. Perhaps whatever it was inside the system they were originally transmitting to is no longer there, and the star is the fallback behavior? Unfortunately, if this is the case I'm not sure what our next course of action should be - any high energy wakes left behind by the Thargoids (assuming thier ships even work that way) would have long since dissipated.

Or maybe its not the Thargoids at all. Historically, the Pleadies Cluster was the location of at least one known INRA base.

Edit: I'm going to follow this tangent a bit here... So, Mic Turner went to the Pleadies looking for Thargoids, presumably because of what he found in Polaris (A Thargoid Shuttle). Instead of Thargoids, he found an INRA satellite which blew him up. Could it have been a trap? The Thargoids in Polaris were the real deal. Maybe the INRA intercepted the Thargoids in Pleione (this is, after all, what the INRA are good at), got them out of the picture, and left the satellite there to deal with Turner. Assuming nobody ever found out, this would be a pretty effective way of keeping the Thargoids bottled up for a few more decades.

Dammit, everything keeps pointing me to Polaris. But I can't go there!

It does seem the UA are increasing in number though almost like the processing nodes from Merope on up to Pleiades forming a Octonions hypercube topology as the nodes increase in number.

Maybe we need to increasae the amount of stations with Black markets being sold very small amounts of unknown artifacts. Perhaps with a focus on the outer rim. Finding that inra base would be a good idea to.

Plus we need to get a planetary base suffering technical difficulties and shutdown id like to propose ngalia serling town planetary port as a possible candidate for mass UA sales.

HIP 18987 is merely a 70LY jump from there to where UAs spawn

Last edited:
Maybe we need to increasae the amount of stations with Black markets being sold very small amounts of unknown artifacts. Perhaps with a focus on the outer rim. Finding that inra base would be a good idea to.

Plus we need to get a planetary base suffering technical difficulties and shutdown id like to propose ngalia serling town planetary port as a possible candidate for mass UA sales.

HIP 18987 is merely a 70LY jump from there to where UAs spawn

Could you tell me what you hope to achieve by getting us to shut down stations?
Do you have some theory that could be proven by experimentation, or do you just want help in understanding how to weaponise ua?

Do you have some theory that could be proven by experimentation, or do you just want help in understanding how to weaponise ua?

Yeah I'm not sure what the point is, this experiment has already been done. If you scoop a UA your ship starts to suffer damage. If you sell them to stations, the stations suffers damage. Unless we get some new info damaging more stations is unlikely to be helpful. Same with experiments torturing UAs in increasingly bizzarre ways :)

We need to find something new. Maybe barnacles and meta alloys are the next step of the story, I don't know.

Last edited:
Thanks Slarty: so it is the same signal that ship/SRV wreckages with cargo canisters do?

No its the two last line on the top of your scanner, cargo is 3/4 up and divided into two line. i've usually found them from my SVR.

Signal very similar

HIP 84706 (20160103-222320).png

If you want to find an INRA base in the bubble, I'd say your best bet would be Hotice. But Hotice doesn't exist anymore - or it's been renamed. I checked what I thought were the coordinates before but nothing looked like it should, and my memory of the old maps is pretty lacking these days. The coordinate system has changed, so it'd take a trick of mathematics for someone to convert the old coordinates to something that makes sense in the new system. Even if Hotice isn't around anymore, it might be worthwhile to just see what IS actually in the spot where it used to be.

Indeed. Just got to Hinz Hub now and demand is 12,485. Perhaps this is the thing... if demand is high, it means the black market contact has buyers lined up, so they end up being passed on. If demand is met, they start being stockpiled and causing more issues. Though that would not explain why Hinz hub is affected and Walker survey is not, unless the demand resets after the issues start. Hmm...

Off to Ray Gateway next.

Uh oh.. Please leave Ray Gateway out of the tests. It is home of our minor faction The Brotherhood of the Dark Circle :)

I warned our wing members for this and also inform who is the "quilty one" if station facilities eventually shuts down.

It is always top 1 priority to get guilty one revealed. Only then we can go on and repair the damage :p

Last edited:
Since the UA degrades both your ship and station... is it safe to assume that toxic waste would degrade a station? Toxic Waste degrades your ship as does the UA.

Guess we'll find out in 2 weeks won't we... like I said if someone doesn't find anything new in 2 weeks then I'll change my avatar to Orville again. He didn't confirm or deny fixing anything and yes there could be a server side patch easily that simple corrects the actual client/server communication. I do it all the time.
Here we go again... Brace yourself for another of my "attacks".

You keep repeating this notion that something didn't exist in-game just because it hasn't been found before. Repeating it more times doesn't make it more true. When Columbus saw the new world for the first time I'm pretty sure he didn't say: "Holy crap! Who just put an entire continent over there!?!".

Also, feel free to put me in your ignore list, if you haven't done so already. But I find it pretty ironic when I just state facts for which you accuse me of somehow attacking you "instead of the issue being discussed", and your solution is to add me and others that disagree with you to the ignore list. Is covering your ears how you think issues are discussed?

Hottice is in Alliance space isn't it? Between Gateway and Alioth, iirc.

Hottice? Is that a typo? It's supposed to be Hotice, which doesn't come up in a search. Possibly it was renamed. I can't go there now, but the INRA base was on Hotice 1. Somewhere on the surface they had a domed base, this was the facility where the Mycoid antidote was stored. The facility was destroyed, so if it's still there it'd be nothing but debris by now.

I currently have 2 UA that I picked up in the same system(second one as I was flying towards a land-able moon) and have them sitting next to eachother. Nothing interesting happening except this one thing that I assume people have noticed before:

Every time one arcs up the whale song noise, the side of the head bulb glows gold for a while and then fades.

I hadn't noticed this before so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Hey there commander. If you look at my original post (#8310) I'm not talking about looking for the structures in the trailer. I'm suggesting a way to look for something in planets that, like the UAs, can point to Merope all the time. For an unobstructed view of the star they would have to be on the lit side of a tidally locked planet.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong in looking for green glowy things in dark places (in fact I plan to do so as well). Just trying for the two ideas not to get confused with each other.

Last edited:

Yep - I think the whole station shutdown angle is soon to become a moot point anyway, as I think Palin's base is going to give us a new focus on that front.

As a result, the 'UA smuggling experiment' that I started up nearly 3 weeks ago will end tomorrow, because it served its primary purpose, which was just to try and bring more CMDRs into the mystery. Yes, we did want to see if we could take Bond offline (and any other self-nominated player group stations), but the reality is that the link between UA sales and malfunctions has been clear for weeks now - just with the anomalies that we've already discussed.

When Palin kicked off his CG, it was clear that there's soon be a new stage in this - and so I see no value in continuing. He will be the next agent of change for this part of the UA mystery, with our help IMHO.

Any other attempts to bring stations down now, it seems to me, would be pointless.

Hey there commander. If you look at my original post (#8310) I'm not talking about looking for the structures in the trailer. I'm suggesting a way to look for something in planets that, like the UAs, can point to Merope all the time. For an unobstructed view of the star they would have to be on the lit side of a tidally locked planet.

I assume by "lit side" you're referring to the pole. A tidally locked (synchronous rotation) moon always keeps one side toward its parent planet, but it does still orbit that planet, which means its sky will change. Like on the mother planet, the closer to one pole or the other you are, the more likely the same stars in the sky will remain visible, though they will still rotate as the moon orbits. This is assuming it's a standard (earthlike) planet-moon relationship with a minimal amount of axial tilt on the satellite body. I suppose it might be possible for a moon to have such a severe axial tilt that one of its poles ends up being the tidally locked side but it's rather unlikely.

In short, what you're looking for would be in a system with an ecliptic where the orbiting planets would have Merope positioned far enough northward or southward in the sky that anything on the surface of these planets or moons could turn to point in the direction of the star.

Last edited:
How many whale songs do these UA make out of curiosity?

Both mine are each making the same song every time, but they're different to each-other.

I assume by "lit side" you're referring to the pole. A tidally locked (synchronous rotation) moon always keeps one side toward its parent planet, but it does still orbit that planet, which means its sky will change. Like on the mother planet, the closer to one pole or the other you are, the more likely the same stars in the sky will remain visible, though they will still rotate as the moon orbits. This is assuming it's a standard (earthlike) planet-moon relationship with a minimal amount of axial tilt on the satellite body. I suppose it might be possible for a moon to have such a severe axial tilt that one of its poles ends up being the tidally locked side but it's rather unlikely.

In short, what you're looking for would be in a system with an ecliptic where the orbiting planets would have Merope positioned far enough northward or southward in the sky that anything on the surface of these planets or moons could turn to point in the direction of the star.
That's all true if we are talking about a planet tidally locked to another planet. What I'm talking about is a planet tidally locked to the Merope main star, so the same side would always be lit. Not 100% sure a planet like that exists in Merope, but I thought it did (can't check now).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom