UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Actual star systems to look in are a bit difficult to get, since the previous games used a different setup for space, after all, the first Elite had us going to multiple different galaxies, not just moving around the Milky Way itself. A ship was found around Polaris, from whence you get transported instantly to the Miacke system, over 1000 LY distance, as Thargoid hyperspace technology is WAY more advanced than Humanity's, and they may even come from the dimension that we call Witchspace, we don't really know. We do know the Line was held over towards Polaris, not towards the Pleiades, as that was the direction that most of the Thargoid interactions with Humanity were taking place. Which doesn't mean a lot since we're not even sure they live in our own dimension to begin with, although INRA was pretty sure they had a homeworld in the Milky Way, so...

They are evidently ammonia based insectoid lifeforms with a hive mind, all female, and they aren't all the same, it would seem there are different...branches, sects, not really sure what to call them, of Thargoids. We ended the last game being at peace with them and having technological and cultural exchanges.

David has stated that any peace with the Thargoids may be short lived, so they may well show up as enemy forces. We do know their technology however, so the UA's should be from some OTHER alien race out there, which we do know exist, Humanity has wiped a few of them out as I said, and David was clear, there are other alien races out there and they'll show up in Elite Dangerous.

I highly recommend this site for more information, Drew is a good source of information and has published an official Elite Dangerous novel, so he's got some good intel. http://www.drewwagar.com/progress-report/thargoids-the-definitive-guide/

While I do agree with you, I feel the point that "we know their technology" is not a strong enough one to make it a certain thing. it's been 50 years since we last had contact with the Thargoids hasn't it? technological breakthroughs can happen in much less. Thinking of humans here on Earth, and an example I'm familiar with; audio amplifiers used to all be valve amplifiers, it took much less than 50 years for us to move over to the digital ones we still use to this day. If you were an alien race and looked at the valve amplifiers, then at the digital ones, you would struggle to see all too much association between the two. Add into the mix the fact that, as you say, they had different sects, and that they surely did not share ALL their technology with us, and it becomes much less certain that we can be sure they are not thargoid.
That said I am in agreement with you that they probably aren't, I just am not completely convinced.

Actual star systems to look in are a bit difficult to get, since the previous games used a different setup for space, after all, the first Elite had us going to multiple different galaxies, not just moving around the Milky Way itself. A ship was found around Polaris, from whence you get transported instantly to the Miacke system, over 1000 LY distance, as Thargoid hyperspace technology is WAY more advanced than Humanity's, and they may even come from the dimension that we call Witchspace, we don't really know. We do know the Line was held over towards Polaris, not towards the Pleiades, as that was the direction that most of the Thargoid interactions with Humanity were taking place. Which doesn't mean a lot since we're not even sure they live in our own dimension to begin with, although INRA was pretty sure they had a homeworld in the Milky Way, so...

They are evidently ammonia based insectoid lifeforms with a hive mind, all female, and they aren't all the same, it would seem there are different...branches, sects, not really sure what to call them, of Thargoids. We ended the last game being at peace with them and having technological and cultural exchanges.

David has stated that any peace with the Thargoids may be short lived, so they may well show up as enemy forces. We do know their technology however, so the UA's should be from some OTHER alien race out there, which we do know exist, Humanity has wiped a few of them out as I said, and David was clear, there are other alien races out there and they'll show up in Elite Dangerous.

I highly recommend this site for more information, Drew is a good source of information and has published an official Elite Dangerous novel, so he's got some good intel. http://www.drewwagar.com/progress-report/thargoids-the-definitive-guide/

They kiboshed the idea of some wormholes or anything that would allow fast travel around the galaxy. But yet its been done. I wonder if it'll be part of this years expansion..

I found an ancient satellite crashed in Merope 2 D, I recorded the sound in case anyone wants to analyze it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzW4Abq3vD3gSGpWMzlQd3ZHY3c/view?usp=sharing
2016-01-06_00002.jpg

B K N O B N O R K B R B O N B E K O N K E B K N K N E B O N K E N R K R E K N K O R N R E H N E B R K B E N K R B E R K E O K O E H R N E R E N B R N B R O R E R E R O E R K E O B O E R B O K N O R O K E R B E O B N E K B O R ? R B R O B K H O E O N B E R ? K B H N O R N R O R H K E O R O R ? B E R O E R ? O K B K K B N ? B O B O B R K E N E R O E B R O R B E R B N

All 7 minutes, according to my ear - which will make mistakes.

Your welcome to deduce a pattern. My morse head is imploding.

Well done sir, have a Barnie for services to UA research!

UA Diagram_small.png

Last night I found 2 of those, and 2 nav beacons (not all at the same location) while driving around on the innermost landable planet in merope. I couldn't ascertain any morse from this "probe" type of crash though.

Last edited:
Analysis Plan B doesn't suggest a repeating pattern:

B K N O
B N O R K
B R
B O N
B E K O N K E
B K N K N E
B O N K E N R K R E K N K O R N R E H N E
B R K
B E N K R
B E R K E O K O E H R N E R E N
B R N
B R O R E R E R O E R K E O
B O E R
B O K N O R O K E R
B E O
B N E K
B O R ? R
B R O
B K H O E O N
B E R ? K
B H N O R N R O R H K E O R O R ?
B E R O E R ? O K
B K K
B N ?
B O
B O
B R K E N E R O E
B R O R
B E R
B N

Last edited:
B K N O B N O R K B R B O N B E K O N K E B K N K N E B O N K E N R K R E K N K O R N R E H N E B R K B E N K R B E R K E O K O E H R N E R E N B R N B R O R E R E R O E R K E O B O E R B O K N O R O K E R B E O B N E K B O R ? R B R O B K H O E O N B E R ? K B H N O R N R O R H K E O R O R ? B E R O E R ? O K B K K B N ? B O B O B R K E N E R O E B R O R B E R B N

AH EXCELLENT! Just what I was looking for. More entropy!

My point had literally nothing to do with Thargoids but ok.
The point was, from a storywriting within a game point of view, you don't create one big alien mystery, then start pushing story content to advance it at the same time as releasing another big alien mystery, and have those two alien mysteries be completely unrelated. it makes no sense, people will naturally make the connection between them and you'll only throw people off/ make them feel disconnected from the story if you go "no no no, those aliens are completely DIFFERENT aliens, we're not actually advancing this alien plot, we're creating an entire NEW one"

Your point was that the only known aliens are Thargoids, which is wrong, they aren't the only aliens, that's been made clear in the previous Elite games, and it's been confirmed for Elite Dangerous by David himself directly. Thargoids are ONE alien race, not THE alien race, in Elite Dangerous. The barnacles appear to be an alien lifeform, nothing new or unusual in the Elite universe, there are plenty of those already. We know nothing about them however, are they sentient or just like the Earth life form they are named after, non-sentient? And multiple storyline all at the same time not being done? What? Do you only play Angry Birds or something? Just look at EVERY MMO out, they all have multiple storylines going at the same time, some related, some not. Some of the best single player games do that as well.

Perhaps you've missed ALL the stuff going in GalNet that FD wrote, not the players? I recall a President of the Federation and many others dying in a spaceship 'accident', people investigating that drawing the natural conclusions that it resembled another 'accident', and people dying due to that investigation, remember? Oh, and the Emperor was assassinated! His daughter outside of marriage was named the new Emperor, there was a huge hunt for the people responsible for the assassination of Her Father, remember? Multiple CGs all about that, still not a finished story either. Same with the investigation of the 'accidents' involving the two ships, which was just recently the subject of it's own CG. And all the OTHER little things going on around the bubble that FD have written GalNet stories about. Sure seems to me that FD has a lot of stories all ongoing at the same time in the Elite Dangerous universe, some tied together, some not, we don't know though, they could ALL be tied together, or none of them are related at all and it just seems that way at the moment, who knows? WE don't, only FD does, and they are very good at not telling us jack until they feel like it.

Analysis Plan B doesn't suggest a repeating pattern:

huh, that's a good way to analyze it. I thought to myself, surely at some point you'd actually have the word "Broken" in there somewhere. Then I realized that the odds of seeing "broken" in any 6-letter sequence (6/26)^6 = .000151

Last edited:

O K B K K B N ? B O B O B R K E N E R

N ? B O B O B R

? B O B O

B O B

Planet Bob confirmed!

I don't think they have ever said that the Thargoids are "here" though. Saying they are "coming" doesn't imply they are already out there. Other things that DB and/or MB have repeatedly said are "coming":
  • Player characters.
  • Passenger missions.
  • Crew members.
Those are clearly not in-game yet, so no need to jump to conclusions.

Just to make a point, other things they've said are coming:
- Planetary Landings
- Arena-based PVP
- Improvements to professions (like mining)

Those things are here, and presently growing.

Your point was that the only known aliens are Thargoids, which is wrong, they aren't the only aliens, that's been made clear in the previous Elite games, and it's been confirmed for Elite Dangerous by David himself directly. Thargoids are ONE alien race, not THE alien race, in Elite Dangerous. The barnacles appear to be an alien lifeform, nothing new or unusual in the Elite universe, there are plenty of those already. We know nothing about them however, are they sentient or just like the Earth life form they are named after, non-sentient? And multiple storyline all at the same time not being done? What? Do you only play Angry Birds or something? Just look at EVERY MMO out, they all have multiple storylines going at the same time, some related, some not. Some of the best single player games do that as well.

Perhaps you've missed ALL the stuff going in GalNet that FD wrote, not the players? I recall a President of the Federation and many others dying in a spaceship 'accident', people investigating that drawing the natural conclusions that it resembled another 'accident', and people dying due to that investigation, remember? Oh, and the Emperor was assassinated! His daughter outside of marriage was named the new Emperor, there was a huge hunt for the people responsible for the assassination of Her Father, remember? Multiple CGs all about that, still not a finished story either. Same with the investigation of the 'accidents' involving the two ships, which was just recently the subject of it's own CG. And all the OTHER little things going on around the bubble that FD have written GalNet stories about. Sure seems to me that FD has a lot of stories all ongoing at the same time in the Elite Dangerous universe, some tied together, some not, we don't know though, they could ALL be tied together, or none of them are related at all and it just seems that way at the moment, who knows? WE don't, only FD does, and they are very good at not telling us jack until they feel like it.

I think Squiggsy's point was that dumping another, completely unrelated alien story on us before we've even scratched the surface of the current one would be confusing. LOST had a tendency to dump mysteries on its viewers and then neglect to progress them, eventually causing many to just abandon the series altogether. The longer you leave a mystery unsolved, the bigger the reveal has to be in order to justify all the time people will spend fruitlessly trying to answer it, and it only hurts things if you try to dump too many big mysteries on the audience too quickly. We do have multiple storylines going on right now, but they are all clearly defined and mostly seperate from each other. It's like art - it's not a science, and sometimes crazy things can work, but it has to be done carefully. There is a fine line between a brilliant painting and a splatter of paint.

Last edited:
Just to make a point, other things they've said are coming:
- Planetary Landings
- Arena-based PVP
- Improvements to professions (like mining)

Those things are here, and presently growing.
Please, re-read my post. I haven't stated anywhere that I don't think Thargoids are coming, just that we don't have certainty that they are already here.

They kiboshed the idea of some wormholes or anything that would allow fast travel around the galaxy. But yet its been done. I wonder if it'll be part of this years expansion..

Thing is, the extremely long travel distances, that's a Thargoid thing, not Human, when it happens in FE2, YOU aren't in control of that, the Thargoids do it. Their hyperspace technology is far and away beyond Humanity's level, they can 'sit' in Witchspace, something we can't do or even understand. Spending too much time in Witchspace is bad for humans, it actually hurts us, but Thargoids aren't bothered by it, which is part of why there is speculation that they actually come FROM Witchspace, but no one actually knows for certain. As I said, INRA thinks they have a homeworld in this dimension in the Milky Way, and that's not something INRA is likely to be wrong about...

As to the taking a trip around Polaris and seeing what happens when you jump through it, you can't, it's locked out, permit required, and no way to get said permit currently. One of multiple such systems and regions around the galaxy by the way, entire regions on the other side of the Core that are permit locked, so..

FD has something planned, they've had it planned all along, and it's literally galaxy spanning in it's scope. We know there's more than just Thargoids, what others however, we have no idea. Friendly, enemy, neutral? Well, we have an IDEA on that, as FD also made clear that our first encounter with any alien will determine the tone for our dealings with them afterwards. So, as I've said before, all Commanders, please be peaceful and do NOT start hostilities with any aliens you may encounter, we need to start off on friendly standing with all aliens. That way, we can learn about them, their technology, and find their weaknesses, so we can then attack them properly to defeat/wipe them out after we've exploited them for all we can. Come on, we're HUMANS! This is what we do, so lets do it right!

As to the taking a trip around Polaris and seeing what happens when you jump through it, you can't, it's locked out, permit required, and no way to get said permit currently. One of multiple such systems and regions around the galaxy by the way, entire regions on the other side of the Core that are permit locked, so..

I think he meant trying to plot a path from one star to another that simply would draw an orange line through Polaris in the galaxy map. Not trying to plot a course TO polaris, per se.

I have been wondering if the way in might be by following an NPC's wake. We already know that when in supercruise, even when you are tens of thousands of ls away from an object, if you follow their low wake, you can sometimes end up next to a planet or star. Yes, this may be a simple bug, but if you follow that thought through to conclusion, you could argue that there may be some NPC's out there that do know how to get into Polaris, and you simply have to follow them. If it hasn't been tried before, a test might be to have a player without a permit, try to follow a player that DOES have a permit somewhere, without winging up with them. This would either bust the theory, or make it plausible.

Last edited:

I know its a bit barmy but when i look at this all it looks like to me is some odd sort of DNA sequence.

Do you wish to join in on my bet aswell?

Where would you propose I look?

OK Graeme your on, your prolly right they are barnacles but its worth the giggle of a bet, adds to the suspense :D

Last edited:
Thanks for decoding the audio ! :)

Side note, DID anyone try to jettison an UA just after exiting glide ?

Tried twice and the UA just vanished before I could establish visual contact ... BUG ?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom