UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
why.. why must i be at work? i need to leave early and go do some exploring i guess.

I tried to sneak out but my boss caught me. I tried to fake an illness but he just didn't believe I had IBS...

Anyways, this is from Wikipedia. Not sure how helpful it is but at least we have a list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades

Screenie1.jpg

I'm thinking if it has a security perimeter on the radar - its not a barnacle. Those are human made perimeters. So that narrows down what to ignore.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Just imagine the crowd when someone actualy find it...

also, i don't think its manual placed... because this mean a finite source of material instead of a bigger source , let's say a whole planet...

I'm hoping someone does find it.. because this is really getting tedious looking for it in millions of sq km's

Another clue is that - Accessing the Surface Data Map for Maia B 1 A takes a LOOOONG time to load compared to other moons. Means something is there.. or a lot of people are hitting that moon right now..

Aren't you supposed to have negative latitudes for the southern hemisphere?

Last edited:
I'm thinking if it has a security perimeter on the radar - its not a barnacle. Those are human made perimeters. So that narrows down what to ignore.

I'm hoping someone does find it.. because this is really getting tedious looking for it in millions of sq km's

Another clue is that - Accessing the Surface Data Map for Maia B 1 A takes a LOOOONG time to load compared to other moons. Means something is there.. or a lot of people are hitting that moon right now..

I'm on the moon right now xD

Right sorry everybody, just have to pause the game for a couple hours whilst I sort the children out. Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Michael, you mentioned that you have changed the story on occations based on what the players have done. This makes me wonder how things could have worked out, if we had done as you expected and the story played out as you originally planned.
So I was wondering that once this whole mystery has been solved and the story ended, will you tell us how the story was originally planned and what kind of interactions we missed or what we did, that you didn't plan on? Would make for quite an interesting read :)

New Galnet post about Obsidian Orbital:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/galnet/uid/568e88529657ba1123b1b422

Recent news that Obsidian Orbital had joined the list of malfunctioning starports caused dismay among the galactic community, as the public had played a significant role in the station's construction, but it seems that personnel at the starport are determined to keep it running. A member of the station's technical team released a brief statement to the media:

"The problems at the station have worsened over the past few weeks, but we're determined that Obsidian Orbital won't close. We're working around the clock, and burning through resources, but so far we haven't had to suspend any services."

Despite this achievement, station personnel stressed they had not found a solution to the technological 'plague' blighting the galaxy, which continues to affect starports throughout inhabited space.

Last edited:
As a history teacher with an interest for ancient Greece the background story for this mystery is interesting. Apologize for poor Enligsh since my native language is Swedish.

So the story begins...

Atlas, one of the Greek Titans, had seven fair daughters and I will get back to these in a while. First some interesting facts that might be of interest. The history of Atlas is discussed in the history about Perseus (one of Zeus sons). Atlas is the child of Iapetos whom the Greeks considered the original father of humanity. Iapetos had two other children, Epimetheus and Prometheus. The histories about Atlas differ in some aspects but they all agree upon the fact that he was the one responsible for holding up the sky in "the west". The story about how Atlas was given this enormous task as a punishment has at least one intriguing version. That version says that he was involved in an uprising against the second generation of immortal deities (Zeus and the gang, as Atlas and his father were Titans). Zeus snatched the sceptre from his father Kronos (also a Titan) and the Titans rebelled. Not a very successful rebellion since they got their butts kicked rather fast. But then their allies, the Gigantes, helped them by attacking the mountain Olympus, where Zeus had constructed his residence. The Gigantes got up there by taking building blocks from the mountain Pelion and stacking these on the mountain Ossa. One of the more famous Gigantes was Tyfon, a newly born gigant who blew fire and smoke through his eyes and nostrils from his one hundred heads. This made Zeus and his friends flee to Egypt where they hid disguised as animals. Eventually they returned and took back Olympus and issued different punishments towards the ones involved in the rebellion.

As an interesting side note Atlas also has to do with Atlantis, the mysterious ancient Island that Platon said sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

Atlas brothers escaped and Prometheus was able to steal the fire from Zeus and take it with him to the underworld. Because of this Zeus constructed a girl out of clay which he named Pandora, and gave her a box that she should bring as a gift to Prometheus. As a rather clever god he didn't pay her any attention and she went to his brother instead, Epimetheus, who married Pandora, opened the box and... let's just say unleashed hell. Epimetheus closed the box as soon as he could but the only thing he didn´t release was hope, which the Greeks called Elpis.

Any way... the Pleiades sisters were mortal beings who after their death was placed on the sky as the seven stars in the Pleiades because they were so beloved by the Greek Gods.

More about them here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pleiades_(Greek_mythology)#The_Seven_Sisters

o7
Cmdr Dartagnan Castelmore

Ah what I'd give for this game to have epic instancing abilities... just to be able to see all the ships and srvs combing Maia and surroundings in a massive scientific effort. Well done Commanders!!! the efforts are truly deserving of tales to be told with wine and song!! (conveniently availble on CD collection for 3 easy payments of $19.99)

Keep your eyes on the horizon and your hands on the controls! Keep the thrusters burning, the lights shining, may the wheels of your SRVs stay true and the treads stay sharp as you roll toward the unknown and infinity! Canonn Forward!!!! LET'S ROLL!!!

During my UA experiments on Maia B1BA and around the Pleadies, I recorded quite a few videos of my UA rolling around on the surface, with audio. If anyone would like to try running them through a translator, I'll upload them. Some of the videos are very random, and the audio may not be the best since I had to do some compression in order to make room on my HD. I don't normally record videos for scientific purposes, so I just tended to try to record anything that might have been remotely interesting, as a result probably very little of it actually is. But maybe there's something useful in there. I did notice that the UA I dropped near Maia B (the black hole) seemed to make a different sound than what I was expecting. Didn't think too much of it at the time, but here you go:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/40870714/EliteDangerous64 2016-01-06 17-01-17-84.zip

Last edited:
I would like to suggest we take kerrash's comment to heart and map out the lat/long of our searches, mspaint them like someone else suggested and continuously update the map on the forums. Imo start with merope since all evidence literally points to merope but I also believe in pleione. She is the mother of the sisters in the mythology and is also an Oceanid. Makes sense while we are searching for large barnacles. iirc there are two high metal worlds in pleione

Last edited:
Not to take attention off the "Great Barnacle Hunt of 2016", but there's some interesting phrasing in the latest Galnet article. They're "working around the clock, and burning through resources" to keep the Obsidian Orbital functional.

Could be the fact that "resources" can be "burnt" be a clue? What elements burn in a "normal" human environment...phosphorus perhaps? Having not studied chemistry that's as far as I've got...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom