UA Mystery thread 4 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah, they're not literally 'burning' anything, not unless futuristic space stations run on Coal or Petrol :p

It's a figure of speech. It just means they are using all resources (likely their regularly-assigned AND emergency resources) to keep the station going.

I wasn't going to say anything but since you did yeah i think that was a stretch. Burning through just means exhausting a resource rapidly not actually burning something most of the time.

I only just noticed we've had a hint dropped from Michael Brookes himself since I was last here.

Given that fact, I'm going to be as blunt and as plain as I can with my new theory;

If anyone is thinking of any theory other than ''Let's search the **** out of the area of space he literally just told us about.'' by all means jot your theory down on a notepad and we'll come back to it later. We know they are rare POIs on planets and we now know that Pleides is a region of space they can be found, if Mr Brooke's comment is accurate.

With that in mind it is just a matter of good, old-fashioned, time-tested, active exploration. Grab a ship, choose a system and let's begin combing those Pleides planets! :D

Yeah, they're not literally 'burning' anything, not unless futuristic space stations run on Coal or Petrol :p

It's a figure of speech. It just means they are using all resources (likely their regularly-assigned AND emergency resources) to keep the station going.

I agree... however, we should keep an eye on which resources they are using up. Might offer a clue as to how to keep the other stations from going down, by delivering more of it/them. Take some screenshots of the market each day and compare.

Hi guys, I had an idea and I'd like to know if anybody tried it already.

The SRV scanner makes different noises according to what it is "sensing". So, did anybody try to put an UA on a SRV and check if the scanner does some strange sound? Maybe the UAs can point the scanner towards their "mates"...

Has anyone tried yet to "Mine" the UAs? The Meta-Alloys are organic, heavy armored, etc, etc,... the UAs are made of this or not?

I only just noticed we've had a hint dropped from Michael Brookes himself since I was last here.

Given that fact, I'm going to be as blunt and as plain as I can with my new theory;

If anyone is thinking of any theory other than ''Let's search the **** out of the area of space he literally just told us about.'' by all means jot your theory down on a notepad and we'll come back to it later. We know they are rare POIs on planets and we now know that Pleides is a region of space they can be found, if Mr Brooke's comment is accurate.

With that in mind it is just a matter of good, old-fashioned, time-tested, active exploration. Grab a ship, choose a system and let's begin combing those Pleides planets! :D

Oh believe me, that's all most of us have spent our entire days doing. Those of us close enough to anyway (I was luckily only 2.5Kly out and I managed a dash back in about an hour and 20)
I really think there's no point looking at blue circle POI's though, god knows how many thousands of those I've searched alone and not found any Barnacles so I'm pretty much convinced at this point they are fixed POI's even without the great hint dropped in the updates changelog

Hi guys, I had an idea and I'd like to know if anybody tried it already.

The SRV scanner makes different noises according to what it is "sensing". So, did anybody try to put an UA on a SRV and check if the scanner does some strange sound? Maybe the UAs can point the scanner towards their "mates"...

I'm pretty sure the UAs are just probes, they are small, transmit their location, and information about our ships. To me that says its a data gathering probe sent by someone else.

Oh believe me, that's all most of us have spent our entire days doing. Those of us close enough to anyway (I was luckily only 2.5Kly out and I managed a dash back in about an hour and 20)
I really think there's no point looking at blue circle POI's though, god knows how many thousands of those I've searched alone and not found any Barnacles so I'm pretty much convinced at this point they are fixed POI's even without the great hint dropped in the updates changelog

Yeah I plan on heading back out there soon. I don't have anything particularly exploration fit right now, my Asp exists in liquid assets. I'll either fit a Cobra Mk3 and head out there or just bring my Fed Gunship. It doesn't jump far but refuels in seconds xD

Not to take attention off the "Great Barnacle Hunt of 2016", but there's some interesting phrasing in the latest Galnet article. They're "working around the clock, and burning through resources" to keep the Obsidian Orbital functional.

Could be the fact that "resources" can be "burnt" be a clue? What elements burn in a "normal" human environment...phosphorus perhaps? Having not studied chemistry that's as far as I've got...

Nice, been off for the day and think will head that way to investigate. Local news perhaps but seems like a plug for more storyline CG may develop, reminds me of the Bast scenario.

The fact it is being kept operational for now seems like something 'could' develop.

Burning through resources just a phrase but also could be a possible clue if UA and barnacles are related, another lead i am following but not for now. Barnacles removed by heat is one solution taking earth barnacles.
If Obsidian has a chance lets be ready for any developments.

Edit : Tomorrow the usual start day for CG's. maybe something might follow on i hope.

Last edited:
I did exactly the same when I realised that the 'Conda that I'll be taking on the Distant Worlds trip is no good for viewing planets at low level and is way too cumbersome for detailed studying. I'm now in my Asp explorer from my Sag A* trip way back, now equipped with an SRV bay. The visibility between my feet is perfect for studying the surface :)
Upside-down courier works pretty good too.

Maia B 1 A have canyons 7km+ deeper and in completely dark, a good place to hide something.

Edit: What!? is a crater!

Last edited:
As I cannot participate, I at least want to give some thoughts:

• In my opinion the hint with the nebulae gives us two informations: where we need to look and what they are looking for.
  • From my restricted knowledge, nebulae are the result of super nova explosions. Higher grade elements solely come to existence in super nova explosions, wherein simple atoms are processed to higher grade atoms.
  • This let's me think, they are looking for special metals. I looked at the metals you need to boost your frameshift drive. Niobium is the only element, that is needed for both FD boosts (50% and 100%). Funny enough it is used to create high strength low alloy steel and might be important for the creation of meta alloys ...
  • It's difficult to find on earth, although the wikipedia article mentions, that there should be much more to find than actually is. The reason seems to be, that Niobium is mostly found inside the planets core.
  • Regarding all this and the hint, saying that "meta alloys are exceedingly rare", I would search in deep craters, where asteroid impacts might have thrown the deep buried Niobium onto the surface, or in deep crates or canyons. The latter would fit to what we saw in the trailer.

Happy hunting,
Crassus

BTW: I suddenly wonder, if Palin is interested in UAs at all. The Antares incident and the likes might just be unproper use of FD boost materials ... maybe Palin dissassembled UAs, found their frameshift drive and now just wants to develop a new frameshift drive?

Last edited:
So what do we know?
Barnacles are out there.
Probably in the Pleiades as well as other areas.
Pleaides are blue hot stars.
There's 400 billion stars in the galaxy with lots of planets on average.

So billions of blue blistering barnacles?

Anyone have some tips on this build? I would be scraping up enough cash as it is to get something with a better view than my viper.

I give you the Barnacle Exsangunation Society's Surface Explorer (BESSE) Mk1 Rev1

I've really come to the conclusion that these will not be found easily. Just fly up to any moon and realize how much ground we have to cover. I've just spent the last 6 hours looking and saw a bunch of the same old things..

The actual telemetry system we have for POI's are pretty much useless for a planetary search.

I'm pretty sure someone will get lucky and land and find it.. or someone with a LOT of time will get together and try and search each moon grid by grid.. but even that would take years. They'd have to get lucky on that front as well.

We just need to be able to pinpoint where under 2km things are - and to differentiate between man made and natural poi's by color. Also navigation is useless other than coordinate and compass - seriously in the future that is all we have? We need a real planetary map that has the textures of the planet on there so we can see where we are in relation to where we wanted to go etc. Its too easy to get turned around and lost down there.

Last edited:
I wasn't going to say anything but since you did yeah i think that was a stretch. Burning through just means exhausting a resource rapidly not actually burning something most of the time.

yes its an expression ...I don't necessarily believe that burning things will be the answer ... I find the choice of words to be interesting though

Im still hoping that FD hasnt totally given up on giving us subtle hints instead of the annoying ... "its in the Pleaides you idiots" type (slightly paraphrased)

I've really come to the conclusion that these will not be found easily. Just fly up to any moon and realize how much ground we have to cover.

The actual telemetry system we have for POI's are pretty much useless for a planetary search.

I'm pretty sure someone will get lucky and land and find it.. or someone with a LOT of time will get together and try and search each moon grid by grid.. but even that would take years. They'd have to get lucky on that front as well.

We just need to be able to pinpoint where under 2km things are - and to differentiate between man made and natural poi's by color. Also navigation is useless other than coordinate and compass - seriously in the future that is all we have? We need a real planetary map that has the textures of the planet on there so we can see where we are in relation to where we wanted to go etc. Its too easy to get turned around and lost down there.

i think theres a hint

somewhere in the nebula we will find it, right now the only people that i think can get us a hint would be the "outta fuel" explorers.... thats what i will be doing right now...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom