UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
sorry...open now

turn volume up....no actions in the video that could hurt your ears :)

https://youtu.be/hH_wc0rrsI0

I can't say I recognize the sound, but with the volume boosted that much it could just be tiny incidentals normally drowned out to the point where I wouldn't hear them in normal operation. If you could find some way to turn off all ship sounds and then see if the weird sound remains, it might be worthwhile. You could also try the debug cam, though that's an unsupported feature so I wouldn't put too much trust in anything you hear with it.

This is the sound I am unfamiliar with, sounds like a heavy breathing, if the wave scanner is off it's no longer there. I can confirm I did not here this on HIP 17862, all was normal there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6L6Ll1z3mk

What happens if you drive toward it? Can you get closer or is it omnipresent? Is it directional? Can you hear it if you turn in a different direction? When we get these things that we've never seen before, we need to investigate them. Gather as much data as you can. Mysteries only get solved by the people who run toward the unknown, not the people who run away from it. (Most people run away)

Last edited:
The binary (elitedangerous64.exe) is compiled from C and/or C++. The information that you want from a decompile it is lost on compilation [as it is provided to us]. You can 'decompile' it to ASM, but without method names, etc., it is extremely difficult to understand. On top of that, the information about POIs and so on will be coming from a server, so the placement of POIs wouldn't be present in the game files regardless.

Too bad this game wasn't written in C#! At any rate, unless the poster is FDev, you can ignore these types of comments.

I'm a programmer - and you're right, to a point. Most c/c++ compilers, however, retain some human readable elements for function names unless you obfuscate; and even then you can get the method bodies back - and see where one method starts and ends.

But, ultimately I agree - it's too difficult to do. I certainly get a lot more from playing the game than I could from being naughty. I game to get away from work, I don't mix the two!

Without any clues, I'm trying to proceed at ~10Km to spot any large barnacles. Entirely random. I'm guessing this will be a rhetorical question, but has anyone checked stations which "buy" meta alloys - if demand has dropped at one or more? If there is even a slight drop, would that mean an NPC can be followed to one of these sites? Almost 100 pages in 2 days. Goes to show people are interested and really waiting...

Ok, I can;t stand it.... I'm finding the closest LYR station with a shipyard and outfitting where I can buy myself another asp and heading for the pleiades.. (gotta be something with a lakon cockpit for the decent look-down field of view)

No, Red, it doesn't. It's comforting to think that, but if we're being honest, it must be nebulae. The others are nice distractions, but as I said, the nebulae are the only ones that are easy to make out.
Black Holes are usually alone and don't form regions aside from the Event Horizon which is quite useless to us.
Nebulae are the only not arbitrarily defined regions. Everything else is defined by mankind or another agent, our bubble, the shell, etc.

Don't wanna argue here, but only make clear that I think that we've gotten side-tracked with the other options despite them not actually being viable. Not that this really matters much now.

The "areas of space" bit is not some fundamental truth, it's a description written by humans. It is "defined by mankind", as you put it. I don't see the logic behind your assertion that nebulae are somehow the one true "areas of space". It's only obvious with hindsight. Think about how someone would describe the shell without actually naming it. They'd quite likely say "a certain region/area/volume of space".

Ok, I can;t stand it.... I'm finding the closest LYR station with a shipyard and outfitting where I can buy myself another asp and heading for the pleiades.. (gotta be something with a lakon cockpit for the decent look-down field of view)

I think the Asp is probably your best bet. Last time I checked, the other Lakon ships aren't quite as efficient when it comes to exploration and multi-role. Besides, you just can't beat that Asp jump range.

And before you say Anaconda, that's an entirely different ship class, not to mention price range.

Last edited:
IF you drop a UA on a planet and face it with an SRV, does it have a unique signal on the scanner? The barnacles may emit a similar signal....

My other weird find of the day, an odd sentry just slowing putting along in a line. Bug I assume.

[video=youtube;j5rivry9dm0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rivry9dm0[/video]

My small effort I've decided will be to survey random unnamed systems and try to seek out automated mining sites. Small hope is that one of them have happened upon some meta-alloy. Besides that, keeping a keen eye out for pretty lights. As of this post I'm searching Pleiades Sector DL-Y D65. First planet is a metal-rich 0.8G tidally locked planet, 0.1460 Earth mass, seemed a decent candidate. System only has one other body to land on, the furthest out and only moon.

Forgive me but I can't help but to refer back to a previous post of mine and reiterate my relation to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4OBUupicWg#t=0m15 Comb on! Commanders.

Last edited:
Hi all! Looking to join in with you guys (will be able to join from 3pm UK time on Tuesday). Anyone free to wing with me? I'm free for about 12hrs of searching.
Was thinking of fitting out a Clipper for this job.
Either PM me with any requirements or my in game name is the same as on these boards.

Had a wander about all 7 sisters and the two additional stars associated with them... Nothing at all stands out as unique or unusual among them. This is going to take a million years haha

Meta-alloys have a complex lattice structure with large internal voids. They are cellular in nature, and formed organically. They are incredibly strong - much stronger than foamed aluminium for example. Many elements form the structure so technically they are alloys, but the composition is different in different parts of the cell walls for strength. They are good thermal insulators, and have a high melting point, but if they are melted they lose all their special properties and become a conventional alloy. They are easily machined, but as yet cannot be manufactured, only found in space. They are associated with recently discovered alien entities nicknamed 'Large Barnacles' by interstellar explorers. These appear to be common in certain parts of space, although no-one is certain why. This material has been heralded as the next step in materials technology. It is ultra-light and stronger and more versatile than most commercially available alloys.

If i'm right, all those informations are here for a purpose ?

* Cellular in nature and formed organically + associated with [...] alien entity nicknamed ''Large Barnacles" = Barnacles are made of meta alloys ?
* Much stronger than foamed aluminium = Why are they so strong ? Resist high gravity of their homeworld ?
* Good thermal insulator and high melting point = Why they need this ? Resist High temperature of their homeworld ?

According to those statements, could it be possible to search for a planet meeting those conditions in the pleiade nebula ?

I like the idea of UA's being seeds (not saying it's viable or not, it's just a cool idea). What happens if you fire mining lasers at a high metal content planet surface? I've neither mined nor explored that much, just a random question.

At your earliest convenience take it out. Preferably by ramming it with your ship. Much more stylish and romantic than shooting it. The friendly folks at lab 69 will thank you.

Don't worry I did, I just cut out the violent part, you know Thargoids might be lurking on the forums. :D

That's me done for the night guys. Good luck with your searches. I won't be able to search again until about 10:30pm on Monday so don't go discovering anything without me okay? :p

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom