UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I flew around Merope 5 C, there's a big crate completely dark, like, pitch black. It's a huge area I'm gonna explore again later. Around -10 -140. Also I'm gonna try 0 0 coords.

Please check out the system called Pleione

Might not be anything but you never know, I'll be heading back tomorrow. If nothing else the view is good!

I was there today on Pleione 3A, which has a huge crater near one of its poles. Very beautiful with Pleione 3 in the background!

OiAXYcC.jpg

However, I. lost my ship as I left with the "leave planet-go into supercruise-hit planet suddenly appearing in front of you" bug. Had to fly the 500Ly back *sigh*

Not a lot of POIs curiously. On Merope yesterday, they popped up regularly, but on Pleione... nothing.

Last edited:
Make a point of docking at Obsidian orbital before you do anymore mate. You will spawn back there. Good job really because I don't think I could make the trip a 7th time !

Make a point of docking at Obsidian orbital before you do anymore mate. You will spawn back there. Good job really because I don't think I could make the trip a 7th time !

Very good advice

Side note take some credit donation mmissions for the ant hill mob, they are pending expansion. And it will be interesting to see what the devs do if it expands ( as theres no systems in range to expand to) i wonder if they might create another CG for metals there or elsewhere to build a small secondary outpost for perhaps feeding the high tech sation in a nearby mineral rich system ( the ant hill mob pirte faction might fund it)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I flew around Merope 5 C, there's a big crate completely dark, like, pitch black. It's a huge area I'm gonna explore again later. Around -10 -140. Also I'm gonna try 0 0 coords.

0,0 co ords have been done, its the more obsecure landmarks i think and other oddball planets in the nebula that have gotten less coverage.

Has someone considered the 7,7 co ordinates on all the planets

Last edited:
Yeah, I usually do, but I just got straight into the search and forgot!
I had to fly back to the bubble to get a couple of pulse lasers because my Asp is for exploring and weaponless but I wanted to shoot skimmers from my ship!
I have landed and left planets so many times, I didn't expect the planet to pop up in front of me as I left!

I don't know where you guys are finding all this tea. All I can find are auto-fabricators!

Last edited:
Sigh.

It just doesn't seem to add up.

I mean even if we somehow got the Pleiades links there's something like 10 Earth sizes planets to cover, surely the chances of finding anything are astronomical.

UAs don't start spouting lat/longs when on a planet or something?

This is what makes me think that there has to be some sort of pattern to it, something we can learn. Likelier to spawn at poles, or large craters, or mists or or greenish/yellowish ground... Something!

i just went to Arietis Sector BV-Y b5 and picked up a UA (my first) and then swooped straight to merope....well wait, first of all, i listened to the thing for like 20 minutes before i picked it up. listened to the point of feeling like i recognize the sequence it played...then i went to merope, i was about to log, and im like, man, i want to jettison this thing just to see how fast it orients itself. so when i dumped it, i got real close behind it, and the sound was different. it did not seem to play two parts of the sequence (did not get long to listen, i gotta go to bed) but also have a very distinct "new" sound. it excited me to the point of scooping it again to try to reproduce the sound, but when i dumped it, i didn't seem to hear the sound? switched to debug, nothing, then i'm rushing (gotta sleep lol) and i fly over to it again, thinking im not close enough. i stopped short, then hit the gas again and ran right into it LOL but...i do believe i heard the sound again just before impact. can someone please try to reproduce this? i will def. follow up tomorrow after work. the "new" sound was very noticeable so just listen to the original sound (before it is even scooped....go find a fresh UA) for a while, then take it straight to merope, pull up like right behind the thing, as close as u can get, and listen.

probably wrong (space madness)
hopefully something tho

fly safe

Last edited:
i just went to Arietis Sector BV-Y b5 and picked up a UA (my first) and then swooped straight to merope....well wait, first of all, i listened to the thing for like 20 minutes before i picked it up. listened to the point of feeling like i recognize the sequence it played...then i went to merope, i was about to log, and im like, man, i want to jettison this thing just to see how fast it orients itself. so when i dumped it, i got real close behind it, and the sound was different. it did not seem to play two parts of the sequence (did not get long to listen, i gotta go to bed) but also have a very distinct "new" sound. it excited me to the point of scooping it again to try to reproduce the sound, but when i dumped it, i didn't seem to hear the sound? switched to debug, nothing, then i'm rushing (gotta sleep lol) and i fly over to it again, thinking im not close enough. i stopped short, then hit the gas again and ran right into it LOL but...i do believe i heard the sound again just before impact. can someone please try to reproduce this? i will def. follow up tomorrow after work. the "new" sound was very noticeable so just listen to the original sound (before it is even scooped....go find a fresh UA) for a while, then take it straight to merope, pull up like right behind the thing, as close as u can get, and listen.

probably wrong (space madness)
hopefully something tho

fly safe

i sort of noticed something similar the pulsing murmurs (between the whale/horn thing) are slower in merope i counted 2 to 3 tones when ejected on surface of merope 5c i recorded 41 minutes or so of the new sound on that ill propably do same on different rock tomorrow to see if it changes. also the morse seems different? might be me being tired but it sounded like normal merope chirp followed by something else.

On Pleione 4 right now, and I just came across a new "downed satellite" type POI, near the north pole, I think, that I've not seen before.

It's not the normal nav beacon ones, it looks like an old 20th century communication satellite. Anyone seen these before?

Screenshot_0118.jpg

89.1572 -3.1086 if anyone cares to see if it's static.

I think the Asp is probably your best bet. Last time I checked, the other Lakon ships aren't quite as efficient when it comes to exploration and multi-role. Besides, you just can't beat that Asp jump range.

And before you say Anaconda, that's an entirely different ship class, not to mention price range.

Oh I know it - I'd be docking my 'conda at Obsidian to fit out the UAsp if that station had outfitting and a shipyard at a decent discount.

Got a good few hours in on Merope 2 D tonight. A lot of low level flying and visual spotting, chasing down POI and wave signals....nothing special.
So far...
2016-01-10_00002.jpg

I dunno how far into the mythology they go, but if this is about thargoids, why would they be interested in Greek mythology, but maybe look for stuff about there kif and kin, atlas and pleione were the seven sisters mother and fathers, they are located not far away, i looked in to merope's children with the alleged Sisyphus, but the only star i could find was Glaucus, and thats in populated space. merope was allegedly wooed by Orion so maybe in a nebulae over in that constellation, maybe it ent that hard and im looking to far into it?

On Pleione 4 right now, and I just came across a new "downed satellite" type POI, near the north pole, I think, that I've not seen before.

It's not the normal nav beacon ones, it looks like an old 20th century communication satellite. Anyone seen these before?

89.1572 -3.1086 if anyone cares to see if it's static.

Huh, I've driven 1.6 mega meters in my SRV by now and I've never seen that POI before. Interesting. Most of those meters were outside the bubble though.

This must have been said already, but I think we're missing something. There must be a clue, like Planet + Coords somewhere, like the morse code from the artifacts.

Maybe it's not Merope, because it's a small system, with few land-able planets, and also has a big bright star. Maybe a system with a brown-dwarf or something.

If this has already been discussed to death, just ignore, but...

The meta-alloy's in-game description as "common in certain parts of space" and Michael Brooks' description of barnacles as "exceedingly rare" is a bit contradictory on the surface. My concern is that we may be taking the "exceedingly rare" statement maybe too literally. The barnacles could be mildly common if we look on the right planet, but rare in that maybe one planet has them in the entire Pleiades Nebula. I'm not suggesting we drop in on a planet, look at a couple POIs, and decide its without barnacles because we don't come across them immediately. However if the in-game description has any actual relevance to the barnacles/meta-alloys in-game, then coming across barnacles won't be so difficult if we happen upon the right planet.

Any thoughts? Or do I need to get a clue? :p lol

Last edited:
I'm not ragequitting or giving up on the search, but I'm going to take a break. The past few weeks I've gone from nebula to nebula, planet to planet and found nothing.
I'm not entirely sure there is something to be found. I've checked hundreds of POIs. I've flown between them, driven between them. I've seen so many, POIs are no longer interesting. Adding more to the overall disappointment I've been feeling with Horizons. I hope 2.1 comes soon.

Whether by bug or design, I just don't think they are in game yet.

If this has already been discussed to death, just ignore, but...

The meta-alloy's in-game description as "common in certain parts of space" and Michael Brooks' description of barnacles as "exceedingly rare" is a bit contradictory on the surface. My concern is that we may be taking the "exceedingly rare" statement maybe too literally. The barnacles could be mildly common if we look on the right planet, but rare in that maybe one planet has them in the entire Pleiades Nebula. I'm not suggesting we drop in on a planet, look at a couple POIs, and decide its without barnacles because we don't come across them immediately. However if the in-game description has any actual relevance to the barnacles/meta-alloys in-game, then coming across barnacles won't be so difficult if we happen upon the right planet.

Any thoughts? Or do I need to get a clue? :p lol
MB did NOT say they were exceedingly rare. Somebody misquoted him. He said the original UAs were exceedingly rare.

I'm not ragequitting or giving up on the search, but I'm going to take a break. The past few weeks I've gone from nebula to nebula, planet to planet and found nothing.
I'm not entirely sure there is something to be found. I've checked hundreds of POIs. I've flown between them, driven between them. I've seen so many, POIs are no longer interesting. Adding more to the overall disappointment I've been feeling with Horizons. I hope 2.1 comes soon.

Whether by bug or design, I just don't think they are in game yet.

MB did NOT say they were exceedingly rare. Somebody misquoted him. He said the original UAs were exceedingly rare.

Sorry, I attained my information from one of the first original posts in this thread.
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=222049&p=3387847&viewfull=1#post3387847

So that would leave us with the description that the barnacles/meta-alloys are common in certain places. Which means we shouldn't focus too much on any planet that doesn't yield barnacles/meta-alloys following thorough examination.

Last edited:
Finally ending my day.

another long one of searching planets in merope. Not really anything of note to mention. Today, for the most part, i was on merope 1a.

Im coming to the conclusion that barnacles, whatever they may be, may be sort of like a base of sorts. im basing this off the statement from the patch notes about when you can recall your ship. If it is assumed that you could not recall your ship close to a crash site and previously could not near barnicles, its pretty easy to assume they are some kind of structure or base. When you find rocks to blast, or outcrops, they never prevented you from calling your ship right?

another possibility im considering for your consideration is that the myst has nothing to do with anything. It could simply be an artistic touch to help give the feeling of mystery. the same could be said for the direction of the thrusters.

nothing else to report.

*end transmission*

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom