Horizons Crafting/synthesis is horribly gamey

Hey all,

the whole system feels weirdly bolted on top of the HUD in the cargo section, first thing. That tells me that it wasn't planned in the first place, and for good reason.

The entire mechanic is horrible in my opinion. Your ship can magically turn some minerals into temporal "buffs", causing weapons to do more damage or your FSD to jump further. Really? What is this, WoW or rather some cheapass asian F2P MMORPG?

Why not add golden stars that we can fly through to start colourful flashing, become invincible for a certain amount of time and play the super mario tune during that? Would be about as fitting and immersive as this sorry excuse for looting and crafting that holds no long term gameplay interest at all other than "buffing" your ship.

But what really gets to me about this is how in gods name can development ressources for such a stupid and low-priority feature can be wasted instead of doing some of the much needed work on other aspects of the game that don't work in the slightest yet?

Do you agree or am I missing something?

Best,
-Prussian

Last edited:
Well, you can get materials from shooting the cargo holds at crash sites - that's looting right?
Synthesis seems like the most basic implementation of crafting - find things, combine it, make stuff

When did crafting and looting get implemented? I thought that wouldnt come til the next patch

Crafting and looting make sense.

Synthesis does not, at least not in its silly crude state. There's no mention that every ship has an extensive workshop on board to build munitions, maybe I could stretch to the SRV having a self-repair module that needs the right materials, but not the ammo restock and certainly not the x2 to jumprange boost buff.

Maybe be able to take the mats to a station and have the repair free.
Maybe certain elements could overdrive the hyperdrive, but never by x2-- and there should be risks, damage to the drive and/or a mis-jump (small chance of mis-jump). A mis-jump would put you out in 'empty' galactic space.

Why can't I buy a couple of tonnes of Sulphur and Phosphorus to keep on my ship and never worry about refueling my SRV again? I hope that the surface elements are replaced by compounds, and I hope that synthesising complex items (eg ammunition) is explained.

Crafting and looting make sense.

Synthesis does not, at least not in its silly crude state. There's no mention that every ship has an extensive workshop on board to build munitions, maybe I could stretch to the SRV having a self-repair module that needs the right materials, but not the ammo restock and certainly not the x2 to jumprange boost buff.

Maybe be able to take the mats to a station and have the repair free.
Maybe certain elements could overdrive the hyperdrive, but never by x2-- and there should be risks, damage to the drive and/or a mis-jump (small chance of mis-jump). A mis-jump would put you out in 'empty' galactic space.
Well yes but i meant the systems themselves.

i didnt k ow the horizon loot and craft systems had been implemented.

ive scooped stuff longer than horizons been around xP and synthesis came with planets not crafting. The entire systems where to come later this year afaik?

Synthesis is the first gameplay change since launch, it still needs work and a lot more recipes/buffs but it is a great addiction.

Can someone without a vehicle hangar check something for me. Does the materials/synthesis tab in the right hand UI still show? I can't check for myself as I already have a hangar and I am not near a station to buy a sidey and see.
-
If not, could it be that the hangar comes with a synth unit?

Although none of the confirmed features for Horizons (except for the latest announced upgrades for the BGS) interest me in the slightest, I would not be so quick to condemn it just yet.

This game is badly suffering from an open mode that contains no way to interact with strangers other than shoot them. So much so that players basically view each other as potential enemies on sight. This really should not be the case. The current synthesis and the upcoming looting system could be used (if the devs are wise) to help make steps toward changing that. The ability to trade these items between players would go a baby step toward encouraging strangers to not always view each other as targets. The potential to trade, make friends, communicate and generally change the tone of the open mode is presented here.

Lets hope they grasp it with both hands!

Last edited:
I love the idea of an exploration asp, far from human bubble (and repair stations), with a broke down FSD and an empty AFM (to repair his FSD)

... With crafting he can now do something about it-
He lands, and begins the epic hunt for the AFM resupply materials.
[begin adventure]

Last edited:

Mitore

Banned
Some advanced refinery would make sense and turning stuff into big profit or something, or getting deeper. Just like Obsidian Ant said.

I love the idea of an exploration asp, far from human bubble (and repair stations), with a broke down FSD and an empty AFM (to repair his FSD)

... With crafting he can now do something about it-
He lands, and begins the epic hunt for the AFM resupply materials.
[begin adventure]

I've been out in NGC 7822 for a few days now, charting the area, collecting and enjoying the sights. On the way back I landed in OUTORST- HI-J B51-0 to perform some repairs.. By chance I ended up in a huge dark canyon abundant in Germanium, Yttrium, Polonium.. Been all over searching for this stuff since Horizons launched.

Ship is now repaired and I have plenty of Basic/Standard and Premium FSD injection materials for the distant worlds expedition. OP just wants to whinge.. Nothing new on these forums, kinda funny actually.

Can someone without a vehicle hangar check something for me. Does the materials/synthesis tab in the right hand UI still show? I can't check for myself as I already have a hangar and I am not near a station to buy a sidey and see.
-
If not, could it be that the hangar comes with a synth unit?

Can't check for you right now. But I assume that the ship comes with some kind of nano-constructor-synth now, as Materials are bound to your Commander, and he can change into a ship without a hangar.

I don't mind rare materials only being available (at affordable prices) by shooting rocks. It just rubs me the wrong way that so many commodity elements are only available by shooting rocks.

Can't check for you right now. But I assume that the ship comes with some kind of nano-constructor-synth now, as Materials are bound to your Commander, and he can change into a ship without a hangar.

I don't mind rare materials only being available (at affordable prices) by shooting rocks. It just rubs me the wrong way that so many commodity elements are only available by shooting rocks.

That is the whole point. You have to think of it in terms of game mechanics. FD are introducing another variable into the current system. So far in the game all you have is a earn credits buy ships mechanic. OK, credits and ranks maybe, but you basically do not have a single thing to spend those credits on except ships and upgrades. This makes for a very two dimensional game structure.

This new system whether you like it or not is an attempt to widen that part of the game. I do not think it solves many of the games glaring problems but it is a start at an attempt to add more to the game than just earning credits.

I can see the logic of your point in a real world sense but for the sake of game functionality I can see why FD are taking this route.

I agree. I enjoy driving around, shooting rocks, and picking them up. But the synthesis mechanic feels extremely gamey. Magic potions, etc. I hope it gets another pass with crafting in 2.1.

The one that seems most awkward to me is the self-repairing SRV. I'd feel much happier about it if it could only be repaired in the ship's vehicle bay. At least it should take a while. I'd also reduce the effectiveness of repairs to 30% or so for the basic repair and higher for the better ones. Getting an enforced hull with a repair kit seems a bit too generous. :)

It feels super gamey. Where do we make these FSD boosts, in the sink? Cook them up in the toilet? At least force us to buy a synthesis/manufacturing module.
Maybe make it crank out heat when running forcing you to run with many systems off to not cook yourself.
Maybe make it so they only fit on larger ships (or larger ships are in some way much better at it), and we can transfer the products, then we can have factory support ships.

Combined with unlimited thrust thruster we now have Horizons has felt a little gamey overall.

CMDR CTCParadox

I agree to an extent, but name a game where crafting doesn't feel gamey? Besides, I see the current system as work in progress, that will evolve when they introduce the looting and crafting system as part of the Horizons season. I do believe that FD want us to consider the current implementations of Horizons as "early access".

While we're at it.

I dock my ship, 15% hull left, press a button and magically in an instant all is repaired. Surely this would take days, if not weeks.

Please fix FD, this instant repair mechanic is ruining my immersion.

Yeah, that sounds like a fun game. Dock for repairs, can't play the game for a week...

Top Bottom