Horizons Crafting/synthesis is horribly gamey

Depends on how it's done.
If it's as the OP is suggesting, i.e. a way to temporarily "buff" a ship, then please NO.
If it's a way to repair something in the field, or could be used say on a planet as part of base creation, then yes please.

I find it to be a good idea sins you are using a 3d printer.
however I do feel that the game is getting dumbed down with every patch and feel that the game is aimed at casuals for some reason.

High end users are ignored when it comes to graphics
The AI has been easy sins gamma.
The immersive text in game is replaced with ''press X to do stuff''
Gameplay is explained as a game and not as if it was real
Astroid lod issues that were in beta 2 of 2014 are still there but even worst than before

I find the surface gameplay when it comes to exploring and collecting resorces to be intresting but everything else is so silly and unrealistic.
currently the planets are full of tea and gold , I get it its an injoke but it ruins my immersion and makes the wonderfull universe they built for elite feel fake or just as a distraction.

last year the game was about immersion and the GalNet was mostly hit and miss but allways stayed within a serious tone even when they mentioned the TitanX or pop culture references it was at least trying to be subtle.
today its full of childish nonsens father christmass being real or something and clone cooks of death.

I am happy I spent my money on the game as it gave me over 1200hours of gameplay but I hope all the issues are just temps

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Pssssssst! It's a game..
so? the game was sold to us 2 years ago as an immersive realistic space game were you would loose your self in a vaste world full of danger.
if there is no immersion in the game may as well replace the graphics by abstract shapes and colours sins you dont care if its a space ship or a square

While we're at it.

I dock my ship, 15% hull left, press a button and magically in an instant all is repaired. Surely this would take days, if not weeks.

Please fix FD, this instant repair mechanic is ruining my immersion.

Nail on the head. I also imagine installing a new ship module would take just a tad longer than an instant...

That is the whole point. You have to think of it in terms of game mechanics. FD are introducing another variable into the current system. So far in the game all you have is a earn credits buy ships mechanic. OK, credits and ranks maybe, but you basically do not have a single thing to spend those credits on except ships and upgrades. This makes for a very two dimensional game structure.

This new system whether you like it or not is an attempt to widen that part of the game. I do not think it solves many of the games glaring problems but it is a start at an attempt to add more to the game than just earning credits.

I can see the logic of your point in a real world sense but for the sake of game functionality I can see why FD are taking this route.

I'm not arguing against the idea of widening progression and customisation - however, I take issue with doing so via an entirely disconnected system, and in doing so use confusingly similar elements (small e :) - if I can buy metallic Elements such as Gold and Titanium, why can't I buy Iron and Phosphorus on the same market? Else, make all Materials complex-sounding compounds like Fe2Si04C12 (Yes, I only have basic chemistry) so that the distinction is clear?

so? the game was sold to us 2 years ago as an immersive realistic space game were you would loose your self in a vaste world full of danger.
if there is no immersion in the game may as well replace the graphics by abstract shapes and colours sins you dont care if its a space ship or a square

I really don't understand things like "this and that" is immersion breaking yet the faster than light travel, faster than light communications and non-Newtonian motion isn't.

Not going to lie, as soon as I saw this featuring after the first time logging on in about 4 months I was so insanely excited. You mean I can stay out longer and resupply myself without having to return to a station? Sign me up right now.

I hope it gets a bit more fleshed out conceptually but considering how tiny 3d printers are, the people claiming this is immersion breaking are a bit crazy. Gamey? Have you seen any scifi movie where they fabricate a chemical by just mixing it o_o I mean if you know its 2 parts fuel to 1 part carbon then all you have to do is mix it and good to go. I don't really think they are stretching it too far for a game especially considering how far from a reality based game this already is.

While we're at it.

I dock my ship, 15% hull left, press a button and magically in an instant all is repaired. Surely this would take days, if not weeks.

On the other hand you can always give a hammer blow on the knee.

So ... just to compensate...

I really don't understand things like "this and that" is immersion breaking yet the faster than light travel, faster than light communications and non-Newtonian motion isn't.
Because there is a in universe lore reason to how the tech works.
In elite they have that sort of tech I dont see how thats even close to hurting immersion.
I mean the game talks to me with terms like ''player'' and ''press X'' thats just wrong

Random thoughts about this mechanic in no particular order:

I'm still laughing at the idea of 'crafting' FSD jump juice in my Asp, in my underwear, like Walter White.

Using the SRV and scanner to locate raw materials on planet's surface is a nice justification for the time spent trundling around moons and planets for fun. If it was only for surface missions and random POI's, driving around for fun would be too much of a waste of time.

The synthesis DOES need more thought put into it - it feels like a placeholder mechanic. For starters, most of the 'common elements' I find in rocks like carbon and phosphorus, that's just silly. I could find those elements in abundance in my toilet. The basic idea isn't bad but FD needs to revise & polish.

I agree with the posters above who think finding good materials for repair & replacement parts fabrication is more believable than making magically better ammo & FSD boost juice. Why can WE whip up these "power-ups" in our RV-sized spaceship kitchen but massive industrial complexes can't produce them? However I DO think it'd be a good addition if you could fabricate standard ammo, as well as chaff and heat sink charges.

Last note: A long time ago I read a sci-fi series where food & other materials were made from comets & other icy space stuff. It was called CHON food because of the elements C, H, O & N basically were harvested & used to fabricate any other organic materials desired. In-game synthesis reminds me of this, it can be a good system, it just needs refinement.

I've been out in NGC 7822 for a few days now, charting the area, collecting and enjoying the sights. On the way back I landed in OUTORST- HI-J B51-0 to perform some repairs.. By chance I ended up in a huge dark canyon abundant in Germanium, Yttrium, Polonium.. Been all over searching for this stuff since Horizons launched.

Ship is now repaired and I have plenty of Basic/Standard and Premium FSD injection materials for the distant worlds expedition. OP just wants to whinge.. Nothing new on these forums, kinda funny actually.
Are you sure you had both Yttrium And Polonium on the same planet?
If so... can we have the location?
Thanks!
Edit: Duh... 'Twas there all along.... But would still need the planet number, please. (OUTORST- HI-J B51-0 AB1)
Edit 2: Thanks 777Driver!

Last edited:
...or your FSD to jump further.

I agree with the ammo buffs being silly but not the FSD. I don't think its like rubbing 'cheater blood' on the engines to make it go faster :p it just meant to be a catalyst.

When I mentioned cargo hold, holding ammo (in suggestions forum), i was told it would be unbalanced (wont go into that), but now we can carry a lot of ammo in synthesis form, regardless of how big your ship is.

... The ability to trade these items between players would go a baby step toward encouraging strangers to not always view each other as targets. The potential to trade, make friends, communicate and generally change the tone of the open mode is presented here.

I don't think trading of materials will happen, well as is it now, because it would make other forms of mining for credits pointless. If someone decides to sell rather than give (if no credit transfer system, cargo could be used as cash) I'm guessing some people will happy pay 100K and more for 'Very rare' materials(just a nice time saver for the rich players), making mining asteroids pointless in value for time spent. so most starting and mid range player may just collect materials to fast track there credits (and riding around collecting is more fund that asteroid mining).

Not saying trading is a bad idea, would love it myself, but it may brake the game system in ED . Open player based marketing would soon replace a lot of designed credit gaining options.

While we're at it.

Lets hope they fix that soon :p

Nail on the head. I also imagine installing a new ship module would take just a tad longer than an instant...
oooh, i like that idea too.

...faster than light communications...
Just had to say we kind of have that now with entanglement (still in early stages of research). i know that was not your point, but im a nerd and could not let it go :p

People don't complain about FTL because there is no viable alternative. As Braben said, FTL is one bit of science that you just have to suspend. I'm sure that if there were realistic alternatives, we would have threads about that as well.

However, there are alternatives to current surface gameplay realism issues;

1. If my ship cannot repair without the auto-field-maintenance unit, then neither should the SRV. So what is the alternative to SRV magic repairs? Only allow for repairs of the SRV on the ship if it has the auto-repair unit. It makes the game both more realistic and more DANGEROUS. it also makes sense that the maintenance unit would require materials to 3D print replacement parts or maybe make ammo with some 3D printer, as making ammo without a 3D printer is also weird.

2. A ship requires a refinery to extract materials. The SRV should be able to pick up the unrefined fragments and then refine them on the ship if it has a refinery. Right now, materials on the surface are unlike materials in the rings, already refined. Maybe that makes sense since they are also rarer, I don't know, but it still seems too many metal rocks not in their ores but in pure states lying around.

If it's for better gameplay, then why require this equipment on ships? Why can't the ships that are a lot larger than the SRV also just repair themselves without the maintenance unit, and also just collect materials without the refinery and get the fragments without a specialized laser. Makes no sense why a bigger ship requires all that specialized equipment when the SRV can just use magic. (sarcasm)

I think it would be far more immersive both from realism perspective and for gameplay if the ships would be to an SRV what starports are to a ship. A ship can refuel, restock and repair on a starport, and an SRV in my opinion should be able to refuel on a ship, and also restock and repair if it has a maintenance unit.

My suggestion is to change how a maintenance unit works by instead of requiring ammo, it requires materials. It should work as a 3D printer that uses those materials to make replacement parts for repair and also makes ammo for restock. That way you would collect both with your ship and with the SRV the unrefined materials, use the refinery on the ship to refine them, then use the maintenance unit on the ship to repair and restock both vehicles.

And if that requires too much hardware to take along, then balance that by making another hardware unit that serves both as a refinery and a maintenance unit.

so my suggestions:

unrefined materials -> refinery -> refined materials (and also fuel if you put chunks of ice in to get hydrogen fuel and oxygen. That would also make use of the ice rings for mining and could reset oxygen supply)
unrefined materials -> refinery -> refined materials -> auto field maintenance unit -> repair

or even better:

unrefined materials -> refinery/3D printer unit -> refined materials, fuel, ammo, repair

Last edited:
Love the Oxygen idea Nate Norton . If that was possible, i may consider taking a 30 min life support on my ship when exploring far away, as i would at least have a chance to get home by stopping of for ice.

ADDED:

Also the repair in ship is so needed. At the moment you cant really die. I have died 4 times in the SRV over 2.64MM.

3 times due to the exploding SRV bug, so that do not count

1 time due to falling down a massive rock face and only because i was to busy taking screenshots for LOLs on the way down (took a good 30 seconds), rather than opening my synthesis and repairing while i fall.

Last edited:
Are you sure you had both Yttrium And Polonium on the same planet?
If so... can we have the location?
Thanks!
Edit: Duh... 'Twas there all along.... But would still need the planet number, please.

AB 1 - Orbiting a Class M & Class L Dwarf. Lots or rare materials here

Last edited:
Hey all,

the whole system feels weirdly bolted on top of the HUD in the cargo section, first thing. That tells me that it wasn't planned in the first place, and for good reason.

The entire mechanic is horrible in my opinion. Your ship can magically turn some minerals into temporal "buffs", causing weapons to do more damage or your FSD to jump further. Really? What is this, WoW or rather some cheapass asian F2P MMORPG?

Why not add golden stars that we can fly through to start colourful flashing, become invincible for a certain amount of time and play the super mario tune during that? Would be about as fitting and immersive as this sorry excuse for looting and crafting that holds no long term gameplay interest at all other than "buffing" your ship.

But what really gets to me about this is how in gods name can development ressources for such a stupid and low-priority feature can be wasted instead of doing some of the much needed work on other aspects of the game that don't work in the slightest yet?

Do you agree or am I missing something?

Best,
-Prussian

Completely agree. Felt that way from the start. And what makes it worse? We don't EVE need a refinery...

Well I can't knock!!

As an outright Explorer that doesn't do pewpew, to me this is FD's first attempt in all the updates so far, to ACUALLY give us Explorers something USEFUL in an update.

1. If my ship cannot repair without the auto-field-maintenance unit, then neither should the SRV. So what is the alternative to SRV magic repairs?
This one I can kind of stomach - a device to repair a huge ship is a lot more sophisticated than something to repair a much smaller SRV. It'd make sense for a vehicle hangar to essentially be a garage with some tools to fix up an SRV, including a set of automated 3D printers.

Definitely agree on the idea that the refinery should have an use and it is weird that you basically do synthesis in a sink. I don't mind it working to some extent and being able to make crude field repairs, ammo refills etc. is rather neat... but should not rival the "real deal" without some extra effort.

Top Bottom