UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If you're on a budget the Viper Mk IV has good internals, should get all you need in there. Cobra Mk IV as well but not available to all (and I prefer the Viper for planetary stuff anyway).

Thanks for takeing the time to answer.

At that time we have some full fitted vulture and our exploration ship, a yellow diamonback. I can't connect to the game now so do you think now is the good time for replacing the diamonback by some ASP? Will it settle our problem?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
More hypotheses abound.. I'm likely to be far off base, but hey.. I need to make myself feel like I'm doing something to prevent succumbing to space madness this far from the bubble. Despite the beautiful views out here.. there is something special about having a snifter of Lavian Brandy overlooking the capital city. Alas, the taste for the unknown pulls at me and I ventured forth.

I'm trying to not overthink this thing. My wife would probably concur that I shouldn't think too much, or smoke may start to come out of my ears, but that is another matter. :) I'd suggest that I install a cerebrally mounted heatsync launcher, but she'd probably give me a weird look and have no idea what I was talking about. You see, she's from a small primarily agricultural world in Alliance space which I often visited on trade runs in my early days. She now spends a lot of time in the horticultural bay, a customized section I built just for her not far from the atmospheric processors. She insisted that she come along on this voyage despite my reservations due to the potential dangers, so I had to accomodate her needs. I wish I thought ahead, as the extra insurance premiums are taking a toll. This isn't such a profitable enterprise searching for barnacles and all.

Now on to matters at hand:

Despite how strange this may sound.. I'd be highly suspect that these barnacles would be found on relatively barren/featureless, less exciting worlds. How drab! If I wanted to crash(?)-land my alien craft somewhere and spread my spores... I'd absolutely want to have beautiful vistas to enjoy while I spread my tendrils into the rocky/metallic soil.

After days of scouring moons covered in relatively drab scenery and repetitive impact craters, I turned my sights to more flavorful views.. but I didn't want to go at this completely without direction. I'd rather develop what I could from what 'potential' sparse clues I had on hand. Whip up a likely very BAD hypothesis.. and pull the veritable trigger and hope for the best.

I then sterted on this whole PR5 Row 2 Seats 5&6 dead center thing... it may be something, it may be absolutely nothing. Some dolt may be enjoying a show somewhere in a stadium, while I scour the unknown attempting to derive logic from a mere ticket stub like the fool I am. But I have tried to decipher what the heck it could mean.

PR5. Yeah. Pleiades. Rocky planet #5. Sounds good enough.
Row2. Hmm. Second moon? I'll go with that. It could also mean a second star, indicating the second row in the system map... but one thing at a time.
Seats 5&6. Potentially some surface coord? Maybe a suggested search altitude? Yeah i'm reaching far for something to grasp here... it could mean moon 5&6.
Dead center. Hmm. Tidally locked planet? I'm thinking equator facing the planet tidally locked to.. OR dead center in some notable surface feature? Or if moons 5&6 were in orbit, it could be the center point between them if they happened to be tidally locked to one another. I'll stick to the first assumption.

I then took the list of the seven major systems which compose the Pleiades. I'm omitting the outliers, and stars that are not components of the original 'seven sisters'. I scanned through the systems and their structure. This list I narrowed down to Merope, Pleione, Taygeta .. roughly on the less than logical criteria mentioned. Looking at these three... Pleione seemed to stand out. I also remembered my old-time Frontier lore. The Pleione system was rumored to once have had a secret military installation. Surely if there once was, there is no trace of it now. But I'd figure they wouldn't want to be easily spotted, so no holo-signs or beacons.

Thus ... I am now parked on Pleione 5B as of last night. Planning a search later today. I have to say. This is a gorgeous system. Pleione 5 hangs above. I'm dead center on the equator facing Pleione 5. The ring makes a perfect line across the planet in the sky due my position. The surface features here are fantastic. Chaotic almost. No drab surface with repetetive craters. The blue star shines brightly placing an eery glow over the rather dark surface material. Hills, mountains, crevasses, all sorts of surface features abound. Most likely I won't find anything.. but at least I'll enjoy my time.

Last edited:
anyone else losing there scan data/system data? for example i had been to pleione before and scanned the system. i went back last night in a different ship and it was completely unexplored all over again. this kind of stuff keeps happening and its frustrating.

and before anyone asks.......no i have not had my ship destroyed.

Last edited:
If we're going to scatter ourselves around the nebula is there a list of systems that are confirmed inside it? That would allow people to each pick a system and head off to take a look, and we could cut down on duplication as well as ensure we don't miss any of them.

Galnet was at 23.12.! "within a week" ...
View attachment 94319
So he is always up over the hills with all the evac shelters.

Nothing in "KN Muscae" (only one landable) so far and hardly the planet in Brabens video (as there is no blue nebula to see)... Trust no one!:cool:

Have people found the outpost mentioned in the Galnet news pictured in the post?
I'm currently searching for it on Maia B1BA in hopes of finding more in-game clues or the peace of mind knowing I can look elsewhere.

MB's latest post also means that, IF there is anything more to be extracted from the UA sounds other than the chittering morse, it probably doesn't have anything to do with barnacles either.

anyone else losing there scan data/system data? for example i had been to pleione before and scanned the system. i went back last night in a different ship and it was completely unexplored all over again. this kind of stuff keeps happening and its frustrating.

Yeah, this happened to me once with Merope... all bodies undiscovered and "Unexplored" after a scanner honk...

Ok now is the time to genuinely ask: Is there an in game method that we could have followed to work out where the Barnacles are? Or were you really expecting us to somehow deduce you "obvious when you think about it" reason for why they are in nebulae and then search a nebula for an unspecified amount of time until we eventually stumble across them?
Are there news stories, paper trails, hints, that could have pushed us in the right direction?
Because right now as I see it the only link we had to why they might be in the Pleiades was the UA's, if that is gone and they are just in Nebulae all around the place and the UA aren't actually associated then that removes the one good link I see.

On a more positive note surely a Planetary Nebula is a good thing to search even if KN Muscae isn't the place from the trailer? If they exist in Nebulae and we assume they are present in ALL or MOST of them, a Planetary Nebula surely narrows down the search area significantly?

I guess the question for me is why do the UAs point at merope. It is way way old for a class b star, maybe it will supernova soon which will spread even more breeding ground for barnacles

Sorry for asking, is it possible to turn 'off' the screens inside the ship and in the SRV? If you want to look around to spot something, they always plopping off.....

IMO, the quests start after Palin opened the new outpost. I guess, the barnacles are hiding for the moment, they don't want to be found by now.

Yes, you can make it so that they do not auto appear on headlook.

There's some toggle options for 'system panel' etc.. in keyboard config, can't remember right now but have a scan, they should be reasonably obvious.

Can we please get more ingame clues ???

I mean that's seriously game breaking to have to orientate the search based on what's being said here .......... How hard is it to do ?????

MB's latest post also means that, IF there is anything more to be extracted from the UA sounds other than the chittering morse, it probably doesn't have anything to do with barnacles either.

pretty much this...

now which nebula is the closest to the pleiades ? thing is he never confirmed they could be found in the pleiades he just said we should start there.

Last edited:
A thought: Once the static barnacles are found, I think some degree of long term monitoring of the areas around it would be in order. I'm wondering if maybe while there are random barnacles in-game, maybe they scale based on proximity to a static barnacle point?

That is to say, maybe the static point is a kind of "spawner" from with others will appear with decreasing frequency as you get farther away?

At that time we have some full fitted vulture and our exploration ship, a yellow diamonback. I can't connect to the game now so do you think now is the good time for replacing the diamonback by some ASP? Will it settle our problem?

Thanks again.

Though I have plenty of money for an Asp, I went back to the DBX as my OFFICIAL planetary exploring ship, even if less capable than the Asp in many aspects, it has FAR BETTER HANDLING in HI-G worlds.
Asp's vertical thrusters are a real pain. I talk from experience.

here it is:
http://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondba...==.EwBhBYEYxS+BpwGYxA==?bn=**Explorer_Perfect

Ok now is the time to genuinely ask: Is there an in game method that we could have followed to work out where the Barnacles are? Or were you really expecting us to somehow deduce you "obvious when you think about it" reason for why they are in nebulae and then search a nebula for an unspecified amount of time until we eventually stumble across them?
Are there news stories, paper trails, hints, that could have pushed us in the right direction?
Because right now as I see it the only link we had to why they might be in the Pleiades was the UA's, if that is gone and they are just in Nebulae all around the place and the UA aren't actually associated then that removes the one good link I see.

On a more positive note surely a Planetary Nebula is a good thing to search even if KN Muscae isn't the place from the trailer? If they exist in Nebulae and we assume they are present in ALL or MOST of them, a Planetary Nebula surely narrows down the search area significantly?

Yes but it was told they do exist in the pleiades, the nebula that contains the seven sister

Thanks again.

You don't need to be in game to compare the loadouts, here ...

http://www.edshipyard.com/

If you can afford an Asp Explorer then you're going to be fine with the internals on that and it can also cope with some combat, not quite the out and out killer that the vulture is but a good all rounder.

Good luck

If we're going to scatter ourselves around the nebula is there a list of systems that are confirmed inside it? That would allow people to each pick a system and head off to take a look, and we could cut down on duplication as well as ensure we don't miss any of them.

Read the FrontPage. Post #3. Useful infos.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: jgm
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom