UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 5 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The search isn't challenging enough so I'm going to search for matching pairs: bra-nacles

Good, here a visual reference:
deborah-marquit-green-giardino-di-fiori-lace-underwired-bra-product-1-14699268-699085544_large_flex.jpeg

And people thought I was silly for putting guns on an exploration ship.
People didn't know I've put 2x C3 gimballed pulse lasers on my Clipper for DW because I never published a ship build with them. ;)
Yes, that's me quietly announcing that I'm going armed on 'Distant Worlds'.

Interesting that they appear to be searching planets in nebulae as well (amongst other things) and haven't found anything regarding barnacles or meta-alloys yet.
I'll be going ahead of the main group for DW prospecting planets for jumponium materials. This will inevitably include nebulae along the way, so I'll still keep an eye open for Large Barnacles, even on the other side of the galaxy.

I found this on reddit:

• Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-79
  • Pleiades Sector DL-Y D68
  • Pleiades Sector DL-Y D65
  • Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-74
  • Pleiades Sector HR-W D-177
  • Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-76
  • Pleiades Sector DL-Y D67
  • Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-75
  • Pleiades Sector HR-W D1-78

All anonymous systems.... if there is not a direct clue somewhere to investigate a system whose name is a sector code, I never think to investigate it.
These two posts correlate with the SPR systems I found in the Crescent Nebula last January. When I got there, they were locked. After I'd left they were later unlocked, and this was during January 3301.

After searching the seven sisters for days and days till I almost pulled my hair out I decided to try somewhere different... So from Maia I set out in My corvette(one enterity later)to HD 56925/ALS 299 , (the dying star of Thor's Helmet.) RNGesus hasn't blessed the first landable I've set down on thus far.. Seven hours in.... info if its of use to anyone.

All landables of the system are 100% metal.no volcanism.

The terrain in the moon I'm currently on (als 299 7c)looks very similar to the trailer with redisish sand and its dark side isn't pitch black but not lit up by the nebula like most of the landables I searched in the seven sisters.

this moon also has some of the best looking mountains I've come across yet and canyons of small to large variety. I'll get pics up later.

there are only crashed data nodes/nav beacons ( no bases,no skimmers) nothing but the rocks show up on the map when you're close enough... No poi's have yet to show up. even crashed ships...

no tea!lots of narcotics. No gold.

Loads of meteorites.

Very few crashed ships. Compared to other areas I've searched...

Conclusion: RNGesus has forsaken us.... I've played many games with a 0.01 drop rate on items...someone should have found one by now/find something soon or I'm betting this is bugged...not giving up though just seems odd not one has been found yet... *slinks back to cockpit
Once you're beyond approximately 1000ly from the bubble, the NPCs and things that shoot at you tend to disappear from the surface contacts. It's Nav beacons, broken ships, broken SRVs and occasional cargo caches and not much variation either.

Hello all, I have been lurking around this thread as well as the Pleiades and have a couple of thoughts, Given that MB has said we can check nebulae for these, has anyone given much thought to checking a different kind of nebula as the Pleiades is a planetary nebula and right in the galactic backyard is Barnards loop which is a star forming nebula. Heavier Elements should be formed in the pleiades and really basic elements are formed in star forming nebulas. In short what I'm thinking is can the barnicles metabolise the lighter material into heavier materials? Just a couple of thoughts from an amateur astronomer.
I don't know about heavier elements being formed in the nebula. The nebula is either a cloud of light elements (H, He, C, O etc) that will coalesce into stars and planetary systems, or they are remnants from novae/supernovae and already seeded with the heavier elements from the death of the star.
The metallicity of a star is a measure of how many generations of stars have gone into making it. The metallicity of the Sun would seem to indicate that there have been 3-5 "generations" of stars that created the heavy elements that the Solar System is created from based on the ratio of Iron to Hydrogen inside the Sun.

One day this thread will be extensively studied by scientists researching Apophenia
Don't you mean Pareidolia? ;)

Something cannot be placed in a fixed location RANDOMLY. I'm a programmer.

Sorry Riz, but isn't that what pretty much the entire ED galaxy is? Lots of procedurally generated content that gets randomly generated, but every time it gets generated things pop up in the same place because they are always using the same seed.

Yes, but until now, the "fixed location" is the whole Pleiades Nebula.

Something cannot be placed in a fixed location RANDOMLY. I'm a programmer.

The RNG ones will spawn everywhere in the Nebula, the fixed are fixed somewhere.
He did not said RNG but with under some conditions. The only condition, until now, is being inside the Nebula. That's all.

Rizal, you know better. 99.9% of the ED galaxy is procedurally generated. In the procedural generation there are pseudo random numbers that places objects in a location that is random, but precistent.

This is how bases and planet ports are placed in most cases. The rest are hand placed.
I don't know, but I think it is probable that wreks and large barnacles uses the same mechanics.

From what I have read, there are other barnacle things (not large). These probably spawn in blue POI.

I really, REALLY hope that FD is not underestimating how hard these are to find when you factor in the realities of the game systems. What I mean is buildings dont "spawn" into existence until you get very close to them. After they spawn you can see them from a pretty good distance, but you literally have to be almost on top of them to get them to spawn. If barnacles work the same way... *sigh*

I just had an experience where I was flying about 1 km or so above the surface looking carefully for barnacles. All of the sudden I see 2 of the white contacts appear on my ship's radar just under and a couple hundred meters behind me. I do a 180 and there is on of those small bases with lighting and a couple of containers. I literally flew DIRECTLY over it at 1km altitude or less. There is absolutely NO WAY it had "spawned in" in front of me and I just missed seeing it. It was one of those things where it only "loaded in" after I had already passed it. If this kind of thing is also happening with barnacles, then... I dont even know. I would probably rage-quit the game right there. :p

With these kind of technical issues in mind, it would be great if MB could give us some tips on how we could go about searching while flying in the ship. I'm not saying he should tell us WHERE to search, but rather HOW. For example "I recommend you travel in the range of X-Y altitude at no more than Z meters per second to be more certain you aren't going to miss one because of technical issues like load-in times or draw distances or whatever."

YES! EXACTLY! You can spot lit installations/buildings from some 3-4km up, even higher it seems.. HOWEVER like you say, the buildings spawn once you are effectively ON TOP of them, then persist and can be seen for a good distance until one flies beyond some designated range. I can't say how many times I flew over the blue dot POI to see absolutely nothing.. to then tip my ship nose down to see the darn thing instantly appear right below me. Another important factor is a given structure is not necessarily dead center in the POI, it can be offset quite a bit. So the blue POI's are not a bullseye. Its a 'hey something is in this wider area... now look for it'.

Due to how the structures pop into existence, it makes it even more difficult to ensure a search is proper and thorough. In the usual flight simulator, structures just exist on the ground. You can see them in the distance as you approach. If the environment only appeared below you after you fly by, then that isn't much of a simulator.. this is quite a fault in the POI generator and how the game renders them.

Sorry Riz, but isn't that what pretty much the entire ED galaxy is? Lots of procedurally generated content that gets randomly generated, but every time it gets generated things pop up in the same place because they are always using the same seed.

Procedurally generated =! Randomly generated

If you seed the PG algorithm with the same seed, it'll generate the same thing the same way every time. If you use a random seed, it'll be a random result.

The difference between the RNG and the Fixed PG content is the seeds. One has fixed seeds one has random.

Plastic bags are randomly thrown away and permanently end up in the ocean.

Even though I've replied to Rizal in disagreement with his statement about random placing, that's not a great analogy. The ocean is a very large place.

Otherwise you may as well be saying: "Barnacles are randomly placed by FD and permanently end up in the galaxy".

I have a simple and direct question for Mr. Brookes:

Putting the fact about the nebulae and manually placed barnacles aside, is this pure RNG grind (regardless the body/system/star class type, temperature, etc.) or not? I know that the answer could discourage many CMDRs in here, but I think that this is very important to know. If yes then we can throw all our scientific theories out of the window :). If the answer is "no" (and I myself very hope so), let the brainstorming continue :D.

Then you should know better. ;-) You can quite easily have an extensive list of possible fixed locations, but then randomly decide which one will get whatever it is you are currently distributing.

That was my bad english: I just meant that if it is fixed it's not RNG. And we have both of them.
I was not denying what you're saying, obviously :D

What I mean is that the Nebulae are already the "possible fixed location", the condition, where RNG Barnacles spawn, being the rest of the Galaxy the place where they do not spawn.

Imagine if MB did not hinted us the Pleiades Nebula: we should have found the nebula first, and then the other condition inside it where the RNG will take place?

God...

Procedurally generated =! Randomly generated

If you seed the PG algorithm with the same seed, it'll generate the same thing the same way every time. If you use a random seed, it'll be a random result.

The difference between the RNG and the Fixed PG content is the seeds. One has fixed seeds one has random.

Perhaps, but the first placement is random, then it just gets repeated every time. I program a bit too and use random generation a lot to do things like place trees in a 3D environment. If I'm not happy with the results I'll change the seed until I get something I like, then I'll leave it constant. So it's random in the sense that I don't know what I'm going to get the first time I run it with each different seed.

But I'm starting to feel like we are entering into pure semantics at this point, so I'll gladly yield. We have better things to discuss :)

Last edited:
Rizal, you know better. 99.9% of the ED galaxy is procedurally generated. In the procedural generation there are pseudo random numbers that places objects in a location that is random, but precistent.

This is how bases and planet ports are placed in most cases. The rest are hand placed.
I don't know, but I think it is probable that wreks and large barnacles uses the same mechanics.

From what I have read, there are other barnacle things (not large). These probably spawn in blue POI.

I know that. What I'm debating is that there is ANOTHER condition inside the Pleiades Nebula for the RNG barnacles to spawn.
With what we know now, the only condition is being in a Nebula. That's all. If there should be another condition, being already inside a Nebula, imagine how difficult.
Imagine if MB did not hint us the Nebulae and then the Pleiades One.

I'm just sticking with what we know because MB said it: until now the condition is The Nebula. For what we know, the Barnacles could spawn in every planet of every system inside the Nebula. Like the Convoys, remember?
We cannot rule out ANY planet for now, be it Icy, Rocky, Metal or whatever.
The Rocky have the mist, the Icy the steep Canyons, The Metals the metal, and so on.

The rest is speculation.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but the first placement is random, then it just gets repeated every time. I program a bit too and use random generation a lot to do things like place trees in a 3D environment. If I'm not happy with the results I'll change the seed until I get something I like, then I'll leave it constant. So it's random in the sense that I don't know what I'm going to get the first time I run it.

But I'm starting to feel like we are entering into pure semantics at this point, so I'll gladly yield. We have better things to discuss :)

It's exactly as you say, they use a randomly generated seed and keep it if it works for them. This is the case for the fixed stuff, other than the handcrafted parts like the Sol system.

Perhaps, but the first placement is random, then it just gets repeated every time. I program a bit too and use random generation a lot to do things like place trees in a 3D environment. If I'm not happy with the results I'll change the seed until I get something I like, then I'll leave it constant. So it's random in the sense that I don't know what I'm going to get the first time I run it with each different seed.

The first and all other subsequent "placements" are not random. They are governed by the algorithm, and always produce the same result with the same seed.
I think :p

The seed could be a phone number or whatever.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom