UAs, Barnacles & More Thread 6 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Not sure if this is a bug, but I noticed some odd NPC behaviour outside OO yesterday morning. Two NPC ships (FdL and DX) were sat pointing towards the mailbox. No solid signal on sensors until I got virtually point blank with them. It was as if they were sat with everything turned off bar life support. I've not seen this before anywhere else - anyone else seen this?

I'm sure to 2 sites we have our different with the pilots seat! I will be checking both sites this week and hopefully when looking at side by side pics of both sites find more clues!.. If your right then at least I can stop this line of though and move on to my next ! I just feel we are missing something..

Both sites are exactly the same. Both are missing the central pilot seat. Both have the two crew seats intact.

Why do you hate them? do you hate them as a role play way? or IRL?
They add depth to the storie and are unique , the most alien thing I have ever seen
i hate them because I've invested 2 to 3 weeks after horizons release circling and driving around merope trying to help the canonn continue the studies and yet there are some who think that I did all of this because I'd rather playing alone etc . And then what happened ?! A streamer found them by total , and I mean total luck and randomness driving on a random planet on merope ; call me whatever you want and criticize me but the more I think about this the more I realize that there is something fishy going on with the discovery of these ... Things .
And as for uniqueness , I can't agree on that , the most alien thing I've seen was the UA and it indeed scared me when I saw it , but the green glowing rocks we call them aliens are in my opinion just an ultra rare poi that generate meta alloys ; maybe my believes will change in the future and I will take everything I said back but for now They neither impress me nor make the game unique nor are they adding to the UAs mysteriousness , I'm sorry but they just don't ; at least for me , so I'm leaving for the neutron star fields again , there is more "science to be done " there than looking at the green glowing rocks or proposing theories that nobody gives a      about ( don't believe me ? I found earth like worlds orbiting a neutron star so there is your science )
thats all I have to say :(

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a bug, but I noticed some odd NPC behaviour outside OO yesterday morning. Two NPC ships (FdL and DX) were sat pointing towards the mailbox. No solid signal on sensors until I got virtually point blank with them. It was as if they were sat with everything turned off bar life support. I've not seen this before anywhere else - anyone else seen this?

There have alway been npc floating around stations doing nothing. One time I've seen at least 20 steady ships outside OO. And that was happening so many time ago.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

...RANT....

Take it easy Ayal! Your effort has always been appreciated!

And it's a game... ;)

Here's the video of 2(?) unknown ships/objects at OO i mentioned a few posts back. I feel like it's displaying exactly the behavior that has been reported recently, including appearing and disappearing from the scanner and refusing to be locked on to. But to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it. Glitch or time for more tinfoil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxuv0CMqQ_s

I've seen exactly this a few times now, only none of them at Obsidian. All my sightings have been in the bubble, one of them only yesterday outside Lave station. Sorry, no pics or video to corroborate. Just mentioning it in case it's useful.

Last edited:
OO in my opinion is a bit buggy right now, found my auto docking (yes I'm lazy) holding me just outside for ages! Last couple of times I just had to take over, its NPC's just hanging around blocking me! Could be something broken and bugged for the odd ship mechanic maybe.

As for the whole pilot seat thing, I'm still going to see for myself, not that I don't trust what I'm being told at all and I thank you for the feed back but I have to see for myself or it will bug the hell out of me!.. Please don't think I'm disregarding your own finding or anyone else's I just have a feeling and it won't go until I've seen it myself!.. Lol!.. 07

IMO the latitude limits/size of the torrid zone of the planets varies according to temperature/distance from the star combination, so that all barnacle locations fall within this torrid zone.
View attachment 101208

Nice one, Not entirely accurate for bodies without atmosphere since, on earth, sunlight need to pass through more atmosphere, dissipating energy along the way (especially closer to the poles). Then there is the greenhouse-effect that with temperature differences generate weather that attempt to equalize the temperature.
I'll see if I can find a formula that can give an approximation of temperature-differences - unless someone beats me to it - and don't hold your breath, it may take a while :)
cheers
DZ

Last edited:
Here's the video of 2(?) unknown ships/objects at OO i mentioned a few posts back. I feel like it's displaying exactly the behavior that has been reported recently, including appearing and disappearing from the scanner and refusing to be locked on to. But to be honest I'm not sure what to make of it. Glitch or time for more tinfoil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxuv0CMqQ_s

Interesting! Why don't you raise a bug report for this & provide FD the link to your video? Their response might be informative.

Last edited:
Kudos on your continued efforts!!!

I think this really means something.
Not only do barnacles, on different planets, spawn different sets of rates, but the barnacles in the super crater on B3-2 planet 2 spawn a different set than the rest of the planet!
I wonder if "outcrops" can also tell us the same story of a planets make up. Meaning every planet would have a unique material composition.
This could mean that not only are we looking for "rocky" or "high metal content" worlds, but "high metal content with concentrations of: niobium X%, yttrium X%, vanadium X%" and so on.

This chart could point us in the direction of a clue we're missing. It is very important. I wish I could find it on the front page, would be handy when I need FSD materials ;)

I don't know about any super crater but it certainly felt like the outcrops on each planet were giving the same (although more common) materials as the barnacles in the area.
Make sure to do at least three passes on barnacle spikes to catch all of the rarer materials for your analysis.

Iron, Nickel, Manganese, Sulphur, Phosphorus and Carbon seem to be the "default" materials dropped as I got mixtures of those from basically everything I was shooting at on the surface.
As well as these common ones, Merope 5C barnacles also gave me Arsenic, Tungsten, Germanium, Mercury and Yttrium.
Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 planet 1 (I think) barnacles prefer Molybdenum, Chromium, Vanadium, Niobium and Antimony.

Although I believe that each barnacle (and probably each planet, super-crater nonwithstanding) has a fixed set of materials to choose from, I have a feeling that the distribution rates of which material thrown out may be random number assisted, with probability weights added based on rarity.
In other words, one may get a single bit of Antimony after destroying all the spikes this time and maybe one or two niobium next time but don't be expecting fifty Yttrium from one spike-shooting drive-by.

As others have said, I think it's just glitched AI. I saw two T7s doing the same thing yesterday outside Thompson Dock in Varati.

As a side note, always watch for ships hanging outside stations looking at the mail slot. They may be glitched AI, but they may also be Cmdrs camping out to destroy anything going in or coming out, as I learned the hard way. Be careful out there Cmdrs.

o7

Nice one, Not entirely accurate for bodies without atmosphere since, on earth, sunlight need to pass through more atmosphere, dissipating energy along the way (especially closer to the poles). Then there is the greenhouse-effect that with temperature differences generate weather that attempt to equalize the temperature.
I'll see if I can find a formula that can give an approximation of temperature-differences - unless someone beats me to it - and don't hold your breath, it may take a while :)
cheers
DZ

And the tilt angle of the planet's spin axis to the orbital plane is very important- this diagram is valid for Earth with an angle of about 23 degrees.

The exploration of the Three Kings is now over from my behalf. Results can be read from the previous link - it may contain some useful information if anyone is planning going to Epsilon Orionis for example.

I didn't find anything out of ordinary during the expedition.

-v

I'm sure to 2 sites we have our different with the pilots seat! I will be checking both sites this week and hopefully when looking at side by side pics of both sites find more clues!.. If your right then at least I can stop this line of though and move on to my next ! I just feel we are missing something..

If there is a difference then that would be significant. Looking forward to your report Cmdr!

I don't know about any super crater but it certainly felt like the outcrops on each planet were giving the same (although more common) materials as the barnacles in the area.
Make sure to do at least three passes on barnacle spikes to catch all of the rarer materials for your analysis.

Iron, Nickel, Manganese, Sulphur, Phosphorus and Carbon seem to be the "default" materials dropped as I got mixtures of those from basically everything I was shooting at on the surface.
As well as these common ones, Merope 5C barnacles also gave me Arsenic, Tungsten, Germanium, Mercury and Yttrium.
Pleiades Sector JC-U B3-2 planet 1 (I think) barnacles prefer Molybdenum, Chromium, Vanadium, Niobium and Antimony.

Although I believe that each barnacle (and probably each planet, super-crater nonwithstanding) has a fixed set of materials to choose from, I have a feeling that the distribution rates of which material thrown out may be random number assisted, with probability weights added based on rarity.
In other words, one may get a single bit of Antimony after destroying all the spikes this time and maybe one or two niobium next time but don't be expecting fifty Yttrium from one spike-shooting drive-by.

All the evidence I have seen so far says that the barnicles just have the same materials as the planet, following the 321 rule as all other planets (pretty much all, there is one in Sol that breaks the rule AFAIK).
A Crashed Conda may have different materials in the hold, I would not consider that to be abnormal behaviour.
If any Barney can be confirmed to drop things that are NOT in the planets normal 321 set, then that would be quite significant. The significance is unknown, but worthy of insertion into any theory.

cheers
DZ

Airless planets generally have much more variation in temperature than planets with atmosphere. Several hundreds of Kelvin in difference between night side day side is normal. Polar regions are cold, almost like the night side. As vacuum has no temperature the significant factor is the surface angle against the sun. The amount of radiation determines the temp.

On the other hand, there is also very little heat-loss in vacuum. A rock that has been heated during the day will take a long time to cool, as it only has radiation as a means to get rid of excess heat.

I'm still hunting for Barnacle suitable planets in Barnard's Loop.

For some reason, I have this urge to sing "It's a long way to Tipperary..." It is very long way to go... I think space madness is setting in. That or the Salmon of Knowledge is upsetting my stomach. Or was it Trout?
longway.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom