HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Oh fantastic! I am so happy we're not forgotten!!! Elite was half the reason I got the Vive!

Now we just need SLI support! I hate going from 1920x1080 on ultra details at over 120 frames a second, Down to VR on minimum specs all because I have to turn one of my graphics cards off :mad:

That said, Just getting up and walking around the bridge of my Anaconda was an awesome experience, bad graphics and all :D , then dog fighting in my Courier in an asteroid belt, oh man, so much fun.

HTC Vive is not as sharp or contains resolution/focus issues which are specific to aliasing.

So this is the only sentence which mentioned sharpness and resolution. After the UI aliasing fix, will you still continue to work on this?

Again, for me, "supersampling x2.0" solves all my problems, including the UI readability, and makes the game look gorgeous, but it absolutely kills the performance so it is impossible to play like that (and I have a 980ti). Is there any chance that you will work to optimize the super sampling feature as well?

So this is the only sentence which mentioned sharpness and resolution. After the UI aliasing fix, will you still continue to work on this?

Again, for me, "supersampling x2.0" solves all my problems, including the UI readability, and makes the game look gorgeous, but it absolutely kills the performance so it is impossible to play like that (and I have a 980ti). Is there any chance that you will work to optimize the super sampling feature as well?
I get the feeling that when the Aliasing issue is resolved, we won't have to Supersample above 1.0x in the first place. Hopefully that's the goal.

That's great. I bought a hotas, the Vive, and a new PC just for ED.
Had duel graphics cards put in too, as I think most games eventually will support SLI. Any plans for SLI?

Thanks for the update Zac, just nice to know that it is being worked on. One of the main reasons for picking up the Vive was for ED. I'm much happier now.

Zac, you rock. I can't name any other game company that would update their players early on a Sunday.

Don't work too hard man. We need you in the long term. :D

Thanks to all the FDevs for your efforts.

Huzzah! I'm a new vive player (I bought E:D specifically for the vive support).

Thanks for keeping us updated! I'll add my voice to the people who would love to hear the technical solution when it's determined. Emergent technologies are oh so fun, and learning to cope with these sorts of challenges that are specific to the hardware platforms will help the gaming community as a whole. VR is still a small market, any knowledge that will help devs add VR support is certainly appreciated.

Great news, and glad that it's been acknowledged. I get the impression with Frontier that they don't seem to do much acknowledgement until they know they can fix it, rather than saying they are working on it but having to redact it later.

I'm still of the opinion that the quality from my Vive is serviceable and I can carry on playing, whereas the description of "unusable" by some peeps I'm not finding. I would concur a DK2 currently looks better for those that have used VR before than a new Vive, but regardless I'm glad something is in the works.

I really don't see how anyone can say the dk2 looks better than the vive. I used the dk2 extensively and it does not in any way shape or form look better. The SDE alone makes it look substantially worse. I think people have a serious case of over exaggeration. Yeah, the vive needs some better AA solutions, that's for sure, but the clarity in the colors is much better. I always notice it when looking at the shield indicator. On the DK2, the SDE was particularly bad on anything other than green especially the color blue.

Last edited:
The UI change is trying to make it in for 2. 1 yes. The other is still being investigated and so we don't have any time frames on any changes just yet.

This is awesome, and thank you! Are these changes currently accessible through the beta upgrade? I'd be willing to buy Horizons and the beta access for the ease on the eye strain at this point. Even with all the vive issues (I bought specifically for the vive), the game is a stunning experience, I just can't play for too long at a time due to eye strain on the UI text. :)

Thanks again!

Great news. At the moment the experience with the Vive is substandard compared to my DK2 and that is a terrible state of affairs.

For your next trick, please fix the issues with ED support for SLI. I was able to use SLI with my DK2 but with the Vive I cannot use it. Official SLI support in Elite would be a God send as it would enable the max experience!

Good to hear! ED had a lot to do with my Vive purchase and the promise of the Vive had a lot to do with me getting back into ED! Hopefully this symbiotic relationship will continue to yield progress for all involved! Big nod to FDev for acknowledging the situation!

THANK YOU

The UI change is trying to make it in for 2. 1 yes. The other is still being investigated and so we don't have any time frames on any changes just yet.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [yesnod]

PS: In case you can't tell I'm very happy with these news :D

Why is everyone happy with this? They are clearly saying that the resolution/AA problems are NOT being fixed in the next patch - just the text. This is BAD news - not good news! Now we can read text - but the outside still looks like crap. Greeeeeeat....

Why is everyone happy with this? They are clearly saying that the resolution/AA problems are NOT being fixed in the next patch - just the text. This is BAD news - not good news! Now we can read text - but the outside still looks like crap. Greeeeeeat....

Because being able to read the text inside VR is good :)
And knowing that the devs are working on a better AA solution is good too. We may not have it right now, but at least we know they are actively working on a solution.
I've been waiting for a VR headset for more than 20 years (since VFX1)... so a couple of extra months won't kill me.

Top Bottom