Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents: The Kessel Run - Episode II (30 April-15 May)

Intent to make a last minute entry:

CMDR Raiko
Ship Class: AspX
Ship Name: The Nomad.
Open Unlimited.

I've not been in the mood for exploring for the last few weeks, and every time I fancied jumping either towards BP or Sol something else cropped up that got in the way (2.1 Beta was the last thing). So I activated the Rusti-drive last night to make a 35k jump back to Jameson Memorial and then headed to the starting line in Leesti.

Well I wasn't going to miss this (again!) and Buckyball Run 10.

I'll get back to having fun racing for a while, and go exploring another time when I'm in the mood.

----EDIT----

If I have too many problems with the medium pad being blocked I'll give it a go in my iCourier if I have time.

Last edited:
Those times are amazing, well donec chaps. I did try to do another run but my elgato decided to freeze half way through so I had to abort. I'll definitely get involved in any races in the future that don't require horizons. Well now I need to go and make some Cr's , so I'll go and do a bit of mining around Delkar.
Fly safe chaps

Well, I thought Cookiehole might beat 1:20, but 1:17 is just mind-boggling. Well done Cookiehole!

I'm not making another run, so I'll just have to see if I can hang on by my fingernails to that last podium spot...

Judging from the loose estimate I could make out of my runs, I'd say that my best times could have been around 1:19/20 with the Hauler, and not less than 1:31/32 with the Cobra (I don't know how Alot could come up with such time, and at this point I am too afraid to ask, as a popular meme goes saying :D).

I'm just glad the board speaks about minutes rather than seconds, or I would have felt compelled to go for another run! (one which I don't have time to, alas)

a couple of       excsues
failed shadowplay on run 1 and guess which station missed the f10 mash on run 2? yep it was the last one. where was my itchy trigger finger? all completely beside the point, no qualifying run.

great fun. loved the variety. planetary braking and not. my times where 1:23:xx and 1:26:xx.

being allied, to LYR, adds a little bit of spice.

anyone fancy a medium paced and fat fingered relay pilot? i'm here.

<-lightspeed->

Well, I thought Cookiehole might beat 1:20, but 1:17 is just mind-boggling. Well done Cookiehole!
For a while last week I was starting to get worried that nobody would go faster than my winning time in Episode I! :p

Judging from the loose estimate I could make out of my runs, I'd say that my best times could have been around 1:19/20 with the Hauler, and not less than 1:31/32 with the Cobra (I don't know how Alot could come up with such time, and at this point I am too afraid to ask, as a popular meme goes saying :D).
If you (eventually decide not to) ask, ye shall receive :D

My second and final Regulation Cobra run:
[video=youtube;_Kpq5d8eZ54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kpq5d8eZ54[/video]

Well, I guess it's all over bar the shouting. Alas I never did find the time to make a second attempt. Meant to try again yesterday but got distracted moving the last of my ships to Shinrarta on the way back from Jaques and then decided to keep hammering Empire rep' at Metcalf Keep in the W@rB@st@rd before they nerf missile splash damage in 2.1 (only 10% to my next rank now). Congratulations to the usual suspects for some awesome times (bit embarrassed to be sat in an Open Unlimited Cobra time that's 5 minutes slower than Alot's regulation Cobra time buy hey ho) and great to see some new commanders bitten by the racing bug.

Until next time ... o7

Last edited:
Final updates:

Open Unlimited leaderboard

MiYZ99s.png

Regulation Cobra Mk III leaderboard

aJDcd7K.png

Where we see CMDRs Raiko and Azyron posting two very close times in Open, just making it into the leaderboard before the deadline. Great work, CMDRs.

EDIT: Again, Google managed to throw a race submission into the spam folder: CMDR DataRebel accomplished a very respectable 1:51:10 in his Regulation Cobra "Serpent Chaser". Apologies to you CMDR and screw you, Google.

Congratulations to the winners and thanks to all for participating.

Medal awarding ceremony to follow. Please stand by.

Last edited:
The Cookie's Breakdown

It's wall-of-text-time again. A lot of general stuff and most pilots will know about it, but I hope some of the new racers can learn a thing or two :)

Loadout
Standard jump-optimized Hauler
An A-grade Power Distributor would have saved around 5s at each stop, but needs either fuel magic or at least two jumps more than the all-D-loadout.

Route
I'm lazy (and a travelling salesman problem with 14 stations is kinda hard). Esvandiary's EDTS is great.
I flew the route (without docking) after letting the computer do the hard work and changed a few plots to avoid double unscoopables.
It would also have been possible to shave one or two jumps off with fuel magic (increasing your range by not completely filling your tank and plotting completely by hand), but I wanted to spend more time racing than planning and it adds more failure modes, so not what I would have wanted on the last race day. Alot would probably have done a run somewhere around 1:13 in a Hauler though. :D
My notes for plotting:
Code:
Leesti                              George Lucas
HR 4749                     2j      Kessel Ring         (3, 950Ls)
Chediq                      2j      Kessel Platform     (1, +, 893Ls)
Trianguli Sector LS-T B3-5  3j
HIP 24864                   2j   °1 usc
HIP 18609                   3j      Kessel Legacy       (2, + 6338Ls)
Ba Narr                     6j      Kessel Port         (3, + 820Ls)
Khodia                      3j      Kessel's Inheritance (1, 6Ls)
Apurarai                    2j      Kessel Platform     (1, 33Ls)
Mellac                      3j   °2 usc
Hanneng                     2j      Kessel Enterprise   (4, F 1136Ls)
HIP 82964                   2j      Kessel Station      (Starport 1, + 91Ls)
Hurusalki                   1j      Kessel Terminal     (5, + 9150Ls)
Latoras                     1j      Kessel Colony       (1, 18Ls)
LHS 2936                    3j      Kessel Port         (2, 21Ls)
Dao Jungu                   3j      Kessel Gateway      (9, + 1464Ls)
Edenapel                    2j      Kessel Hub          (8, F 3704Ls)
Altair                      1j      Solo Orbiter        (Starport 3, 666Ls)
xj =Number of jumps of the leg; (x =number of the station in the system, + =has Repair+Refuel, F =Refuel services only, distance from main star); °x usc =number of jump in the leg that's unscoopable if there's any

Flying and general stuff
  • Not loosing time while jumping: Hot scooping and immediately pressing "engage FSD" when the cooldown finishes
  • Gravity braking!
  • When approaching objects that are a few ls out of their parental body (mostly at gas giants), there's actually a trick to stop really fast if you are approaching the object (station) too fast: Deselecting the target while having throttle at 0% makes you stop nearly immedeatly. I used that at many points in the race, although it only works everywhere where normal gravity braking doesn't at all. It may save up to 15s...
  • Re-requesting docking permission. Helps a lot at stations where you, if you are lucky, can get pad 12, 13 or 36 or at least something that isn't straight at the back of the station. I used it with outposts too, mainly to get pad 2 (which seems to face the planet-side at industrial outposts).
  • Plotting to the next system while the pad turns around and trying to select the station in the system map while the last jump of a leg is charging. Scanning all the systems before the race might help with that.

Stats and mistakes
41 jumps, 1219ly
1 obscured jump target, overshot and dropped out behind the outpost twice, searched 30s for the landing pad after getting lost at the very same outpost, 1 faceplant at a close binary, luckily only 10s cooldown. Total estimated time loss 160s
~2h of planning the route and outfitting
No insurance screens. Don't know how that didn't happen. :D

Edit: Video of my run is finally up:
[video=youtube_share;NUbzOhtlsMs]https://youtu.be/NUbzOhtlsMs[/video]

Last edited:
  • Plotting to the next system while the pad turns around and trying to select the station in the system map while the last jump of a leg is charging. Scanning all the systems before the race might help with that.

Love these walls of text, I always learn something new (didn't know about the target de-select slowdown for non-planetary brakeable stations, need to go and experiment with that). Re: the above ... for anyone like me for whom use of system map under race conditions is pretty much a no no (too slow) ... navigation filters are of course your friend here. Filter on stations only, the instant you drop out of your last jump open left hand panel and your target station should be quick and easy to find and select from a nice short list.

Grats to everyone who finished this very long race! I wish I could have found time to make another attempt at each class, but RL conspired.

Thanks for hosting, Stern, the routing challenges are always fun, and you did a great job with upping it with the Reg. Cobra on this one.

Here's the route (and notes) that I used for the Reg. Cobra:
Leesti
HR 4749 -- Kessel Ring (3rd orbit - 950.73ls)
Chediq -- Kessel Platform (* 2nd orbit - 910.43ls)
Dao Jungu -- Kessel Gateway (** 10th orbit - 1464.15ls)
Edenapel -- Kessel Hub (5th orbit - 4498.7ls)
-- route Nona
Apurarai -- Kessel Platform (* 3rd orbit - 33.30ls)
Khodia -- Kessel's Inheritance (* 1st orbit - 5.65ls)
Ba Narr -- Kessel Port (* 9th orbit - 734.71ls)
HIP 18609 -- Kessel Legacy (1st orbit - 5460.54ls)
-- route to HIP 22271
-- route to HYADES SECTOR YG-K B9-5
Hanneng -- Kessel Enterprise (4th orbit - 1141.34ls)
-- route to HR 6598
HIP 82964 -- Kessel Station (* 2nd orbit - 91.17ls)
Hurusalki -- Kessel Terminal (7th orbit - 9930.62ls)
Latoras -- Kessel Colony (* 1st orbit - 17.98ls)
LHS 2936 -- Kessel Port (* 2nd orbit orbit - 21.07ls)
Altair -- Solo Orbital (3rd orbit - 666.81ls)
For Open, I used the same list, but didn't need to route through other systems in order to avoid unscoopables.

edit: I've never used EDTS...interesting that my notes look very much like the ones that cookie posted, other than the actual routing choices.

Last edited:
Leesti
HR 4749 -- Kessel Ring (3rd orbit - 950.73ls)
Chediq -- Kessel Platform (* 2nd orbit - 910.43ls)
Dao Jungu -- Kessel Gateway (** 10th orbit - 1464.15ls)
Edenapel -- Kessel Hub (5th orbit - 4498.7ls)
-- route Nona
Apurarai -- Kessel Platform (* 3rd orbit - 33.30ls)
Khodia -- Kessel's Inheritance (* 1st orbit - 5.65ls)
Ba Narr -- Kessel Port (* 9th orbit - 734.71ls)
HIP 18609 -- Kessel Legacy (1st orbit - 5460.54ls)
-- route to HIP 22271
-- route to HYADES SECTOR YG-K B9-5
Hanneng -- Kessel Enterprise (4th orbit - 1141.34ls)
-- route to HR 6598
HIP 82964 -- Kessel Station (* 2nd orbit - 91.17ls)
Hurusalki -- Kessel Terminal (7th orbit - 9930.62ls)
Latoras -- Kessel Colony (* 1st orbit - 17.98ls)
LHS 2936 -- Kessel Port (* 2nd orbit orbit - 21.07ls)
Altair -- Solo Orbital (3rd orbit - 666.81ls)

Yup, that's the route I used too (courtesy of the home brew travelling salesman program I knocked up for Kessel 1).

# Leesti : George Lucas (0)
# HR 4749 : Kessel Ring (170.358)
# Chediq : Kessel Platform (372.666)
# Dao Jungu : Kessel Gateway (514.791)
# Edenapel : Kessel Hub (554.186)
# Apurarai : Kessel Platform (796.893)
# Khodia : Kessel's Inheritance (1009.95)
# Ba Narr : Kessel Port (1259.61)
# HIP 18609 : Kessel Legacy (1493.2)
# Hanneng : Kessel Enterprise (1697.19)
# HIP 82964 : Kessel Station (1984.62)
# Hurusalki : Kessel Terminal (2018.57)
# Latoras : Kessel Colony (2069.29)
# LHS 2936 : Kessel Port (2239.75)
# Altair : Solo Orbiter (2380.76)

# DISTANCE = 1180.58

Last edited:
It's wall-of-text-time again. A lot of general stuff and most pilots will know about it, but I hope some of the new racers can learn a thing or two :)

Loadout
Standard jump-optimized Hauler
An A-grade Power Distributor would have saved around 5s at each stop, but needs either fuel magic or at least two jumps more than the all-D-loadout.

Route
I'm lazy (and a travelling salesman problem with 14 stations is kinda hard). Esvandiary's EDTS is great.
I flew the route (without docking) after letting the computer do the hard work and changed a few plots to avoid double unscoopables.
It would also have been possible to shave one or two jumps off with fuel magic (increasing your range by not completely filling your tank and plotting completely by hand), but I wanted to spend more time racing than planning and it adds more failure modes, so not what I would have wanted on the last race day. Alot would probably have done a run somewhere around 1:13 in a Hauler though. :D
My notes for plotting:
Code:
Leesti                              George Lucas
HR 4749                     2j      Kessel Ring         (3, 950Ls)
Chediq                      2j      Kessel Platform     (1, +, 893Ls)
Trianguli Sector LS-T B3-5  3j
HIP 24864                   2j   °1 usc
HIP 18609                   3j      Kessel Legacy       (2, + 6338Ls)
Ba Narr                     6j      Kessel Port         (3, + 820Ls)
Khodia                      3j      Kessel's Inheritance (1, 6Ls)
Apurarai                    2j      Kessel Platform     (1, 33Ls)
Mellac                      3j   °2 usc
Hanneng                     2j      Kessel Enterprise   (4, F 1136Ls)
HIP 82964                   2j      Kessel Station      (Starport 1, + 91Ls)
Hurusalki                   1j      Kessel Terminal     (5, + 9150Ls)
Latoras                     1j      Kessel Colony       (1, 18Ls)
LHS 2936                    3j      Kessel Port         (2, 21Ls)
Dao Jungu                   3j      Kessel Gateway      (9, + 1464Ls)
Edenapel                    2j      Kessel Hub          (8, F 3704Ls)
Altair                      1j      Solo Orbiter        (Starport 3, 666Ls)
xj =Number of jumps of the leg; (x =number of the station in the system, + =has Repair+Refuel, F =Refuel services only, distance from main star); °x usc =number of jump in the leg that's unscoopable if there's any

Flying and general stuff
  • Not loosing time while jumping: Hot scooping and immediately pressing "engage FSD" when the cooldown finishes
  • Gravity braking!
  • When approaching objects that are a few ls out of their parental body (mostly at gas giants), there's actually a trick to stop really fast if you are approaching the object (station) too fast: Deselecting the target makes you stop nearly immedeatly. I used that at many points in the race, although it only works everywhere where normal gravity braking doesn't at all. It may save up to 15s...
  • Re-requesting docking permission. Helps a lot at stations where you, if you are lucky, can get pad 12, 13 or 36 or at least something that isn't straight at the back of the station. I used it with outposts too, mainly to get pad 2 (which seems to face the planet-side at industrial outposts).

Stats and mistakes
41 jumps, 1219ly
1 obscured jump target, overshot and dropped out behind the outpost twice, searched 30s for the landing pad after getting lost at the very same outpost, 1 faceplant at a close binary, luckily only 10s cooldown. Total estimated time loss 160s
~2h of planning the route and outfitting
No insurance screens. Don't know how that didn't happen. :D

Edit: Video coming soonTM

Very interesting :) Looking forward to the next race...

Congratulations to Alot and cookiehole for winning and also to AkenB for being runner-up on both boards; well done to everyone who took part and thanks to Stern Winter for staging the race! It's one of the longer races but the locations are varied and it takes you around the bubble so it's always good fun.
Sadly, I was not able to take my Sidewinder out or make any more attempts (my laptop had a corrupted OS and the hard drive was wiped when it was reinstalled, then it needed upgrading to Win10 again, so I only got to reinstall ED on it today...) but I'll reconfigure it for canyon racing or something else; maybe with the improved drives in 2.1 it will be good for racing a few courses where the rules allow.
Having lost my archive of screenshots from the last 18 months of ED (with only a few exceptions that I'd backed up), I'm tempted to do some exploring and get some more. I'll see how I feel... I'm just low on energy right now so I might stick to some trading/missions but I'm still looking forward to racing, especially with BBRX not far off. Fly fast!

edit: I've never used EDTS...interesting that my notes look very much like the ones that cookie posted, other than the actual routing choices.

Well, looks like you don't need to - that's the exact same order of checkpoints that I took. :D
Interested to know how many jumps your Cobra did HIP 18609 --> Hanneng in... I managed to just about squeak it in 11 jumps after a ton of prodding away at the galaxy map.

• When approaching objects that are a few ls out of their parental body (mostly at gas giants), there's actually a trick to stop really fast if you are approaching the object (station) too fast: Deselecting the target makes you stop nearly immedeatly. I used that at many points in the race, although it only works everywhere where normal gravity braking doesn't at all. It may save up to 15s...

It was only towards the latter end of my second Cobra run that I realised I probably should have been doing the deselect-on-approach trick for a few of the stops. I always forget about it, and given that most stations are close to a gravity well it's rarely worth it, but in a couple of cases here I think 15 seconds gained might be an underestimate if you get it just right!

Re-requesting docking permission is indeed a godsend. Pad 1 when you're coming in at 300+? Uhhhh, maybe not thank you very much. :D

Also, didn't say it in here earlier: thank you very much for hosting, Stern, it's been good fun. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom