News David Braben Live Chat Thread (5th June)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Dear David,

Can you find time make this 'ask me anything' a frequent opportunity to interact with backers and no backers?

It's my birthday this month. Can I get a prize?

Can we expect to see any of the exploration portions of the game to be added soon? Such as being able to get statistics from planetary bodies, weights, composition etc? I know we don't have much to explore yet but we are anxious to see how it will be handled as far as viewing scientific data.

David,

Many thanks for taking the time to interact with the inhabitants of the forum - it is much appreciated indeed!

Agreed. Hope we'll get to see more of you on forums in future.
Elite is a great game, and always was, but what to ask?

I did post a question yesterday, but did that get wiped for being ahead of the whistle?

How far do you think England will get in the World Cup?
And will you get the chance to "pop down to Brazil", to see a game on the way to and from E3? :D

Last edited:
How does "stashing stuff" reconcile with Sandro's previous comments about not wanting us to be able to do that (specifically with regards to multiple ships, but same principle)?

Regarding the storage of cargo: I am personally against this. For me, Elite: Dangerous is a game about piloting a space ship and having exciting adventures in space. It's not about stockpiling commodities and playing the stock market (which is exactly what cargo storage would be used for).

Sure, trading is an integral part of the game experience, but I don't want to take focus away from the fact that you're flying and managing a space ship. In my opinion, gameplay decisions should be based on your capabilities *at the current moment* as opposed to what you have squirrled away at various nests across the galaxy.

I keep harping on about Stapledon's Star Maker for giving the design team some interesting ideas for planetary landings.

No problem!

I have wanted to do a sequel for a long time, and there has been 'skunk-works' development, on and off for quite some time, but full on development is mostly since (and somewhat during) the Kickstarter campaign. So you are correct.

I knew it ! i knew it !!

..and i tried to convice of this the star citizen guys in their forum, they won't belive me at all.. :rolleyes:

Gravity model in supercruise?

As it's currently not noticable in premium beta, will the gravity model in supercruise that allows things like slingshot-maneuvers around massive bodies still be implemented, as proposed in the DDF-thread on In-System-Travel? That bit was what hooked me to the game initially, and I would be kinda sad if that's something you decided to throw out.

I think that feature could be key to make supercruise more than the linear travel it kinda is right now, assuming you don't turn flight assist off. I saw a number of posts feeling bored when supercruising, I guess those would be satisfied if you would elaborate on gravity.
I also see this as huge potential towards immersion, as many of us probably always feel somewhat uncomfortable linearly traveling through space, when all of today's space travel is nothing but using gravity of our planets as efficiently as possible. There just needs to be one hint of it, nothing complicated, so we don't accidentally scare off the other bigger part of the community.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
David, you once talked at the Science museum about how games at the time were in the same place as film was in the 20s/30s. All bombastic spectacle.

How much has the industry changed since, in your opinion? Are we shifting that paradigm yet? Any shining examples?

Games are gradually changing from this. We are starting to see some more thoughtful elements and true emotion in story-based games. Games like "The Last of Us" for example. Construction games like "Minecraft" are outside this too.

Il take the opportunity to say:

Thank you Mr Braben for giving the Elite to use for nearly 30 years ago.

That game was the one that got me into playing games and I still think its one of the best games that ever have been created.

Iam close to 50 years now and ive been following your company Frontier for many, many years and hoped that someday (before I get to old) to se a new Elite game.

And whit the development of ED its certainly close the circle for me :)

So a heartfull Thank you Mr. Braben

Planetary landings won't be a single thing. I think I've said before - it is what is down there that makes planetary landings compelling - and please remember all of this will be after first release of the game.

I imagine we will start with landings on airless moons. You would be able to see heavy industry, craters up close, and ultimately be able to deposit things on the surface (stash cargo or mining machines). Atmospheric worlds are a bigger challenge - whether rocky or gas giant in nature - and a key element there is the atmosphere. They should have rich cloudscapes with lightning, turbulence etc.

The biggest challenge is with what we call 'outdoor worlds'. I would want rich and varied vegetation, wildlife, and so on.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds amazing! cant really wrap my head around how the end result will be but i'm sure it will be mind blowing.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
As it's currently not noticable in premium beta, will the gravity model in supercruise that allows things like slingshot-maneuvers around massive bodies still be implemented, as proposed in the DDF-thread on In-System-Travel? That bit was what hooked me to the game initially, and I would be kinda sad if that's something you decided to throw out.

I think that feature could be key to make supercruise more than the linear travel it kinda is right now, assuming you don't turn flight assist off. I saw a number of posts feeling bored when supercruising, I guess those would be satisfied if you would elaborate on gravity.
I also see this as huge potential towards immersion, as many of us probably always feel somewhat uncomfortable linearly traveling through space, when all of today's space travel is nothing but using gravity of our planets as efficiently as possible. There just needs to be one hint of it, nothing complicated, so we don't accidentally scare off the other bigger part of the community.

Yes - that was something I like too. I think it does do this a little, but it needs to be accentuated.

David Braben

CEO & Founder
Frontier
Il take the opportunity to say:

Thank you Mr Braben for giving the Elite to use for nearly 30 years ago.

That game was the one that got me into playing games and I still think its one of the best games that ever have been created.

Iam close to 50 years now and ive been following your company Frontier for many, many years and hoped that someday (before I get to old) to se a new Elite game.

And whit the development of ED its certainly close the circle for me :)

So a heartfull Thank you Mr. Braben

You're welcome - and thank you to all those others who have passed on thanks too. It is much appreciated.

Hello Mr Braben!

Thankyou for one of the two best games ever produced for a computer! (Elite and Frontier: E2)!

I am a huge fan of Frontier: E2, the scale and the sticking to realism just blew me away completely, no other game has come even remotely close in concept ever since. With that in mind when I heard Elite: Dangerous was going to be released I thought all my computer dreams were going to be fulfilled.

However, since production of Elite: Dangerous has started some aspects have purposely been made unrealistic to retain the fun, and while I understand the need for it, it still scares me a bit.

So my question is this: With Elite Dangerous, is it your ambition and will you always strive to keep the game as realistic as possible? (With the exception of certain parts (e.g. no newtonian physics during combat, visible lasers etc) that understandably would remove part of the fun if kept entirely realistic.)

Thankyou! As a Premium beta backer I am greatly looking forward to the continued development of this game!

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom