Patch Notes Update Beta 2.2 - Update 7

I'm curious. If you now need to use planetary scanner just to see the planet/moon in all it's glory in the system map is this a sign of more to come with the system map. I don't see the point in having a planetary map instead of a grid sphere when you can still see land bases and your icon on both. What extra functionality apart from graphical does the full glory planet visual give you ?

They give excellent clues on where to find geological features.....at the very least. BTW, you need a DSS to obtain info on whether a planet is volcanic or not.

That's how I understood it, based on Mike's posts:

No scan = no planets (except for, like in 2.1, the stuff floating around immediately next to the central star)
Discovery scan = thumbnails of planets within discovery scanner range, but no surface map through zooming in (i.e. the now familiar blue grid)
Planetary scan (level 2 or level 3 = DSS) = detailed surface textures, presumably zoomable and rotatable

Black planets = currently considered a bug

That seems to make perfect sense to me, logical too.

This is a big bad no no for geyser hunters. I guess they wanted to make it so hard that no one is ever going to go after them.

In fairness, if you want to know if an unexplored planet has volcanic activity, you need to Detail Surface Scan anyway......as I discovered last night ;).

I really don't understand what some people are so upset about. It all makes perfect sense to me. You "honk" to get an idea of all the unexplored objects within the system, and the system map will show you those objects in sufficient detail to tell an Earth-like from a gas giant and a rocky from an icy world. A basic scan of the unexplored object will then give you more info on that object, & allow you to zoom in on the plaents we can currently land on. A DSS gives us the real nitty gritty-like material composition and volcanism.. Sounds fine to me.

Now if only the DSS would bookmark those parts of a planet where geysers, fumeroles and alien ruins are most likely to be.....;).

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

BTW, thank you so much for my cleanest update so far......done in under 20 minutes, & without a single validation error :).

This should be like this since Day 1...
That’s my feeling, too. Had it been so, people would have got used to it and anyone who would request ‘real’ planet pictures after just a honk would immediately get panned by people praising the status quo :D
Also, it would encourage more actual exploration instead of honking and running.
Also, people could learn to use planets’ masses and mean densities (trivial to calculate from mass and radius, which we do get after a honk) to guess which planets may be worth detailed scanning – science, you know! ;)

While this was the original design for the scanners (fixing a separate issue has had a knock-on effect) the behaviour for the this view will return to its previous state. However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Michael

Sounds good!

Also, it would encourage more actual exploration instead of honking and running.

I tend to think of what the cherry pickers do not as exploration as planetary prospecting. They're looking for the "gold" planets amongst the "dross". Rather like a miner will use prospector drones to find the painite, or whatever else they're looking for.

I tend to think of what the cherry pickers do not as exploration as planetary prospecting. They're looking for the "gold" planets amongst the "dross". Rather like a miner will use prospector drones to find the painite, or whatever else they're looking for.

Speaking as an explorer who reached Elite through actual exploration and not neutron star grinding or cherry-picking, I see nothing wrong with the above as a gameplay choice.

After all, what does it matter when there are 400 billion star systems in the ED galaxy? There is no effect on other's gameplay - we still aren't even close to 1% of the galaxy explored since release (nay, since before release!).

Regards.

No, just behind a basic scan, though a DSS is still needed for all the extra details (like materials and volcanism etc)

Doesn't matter - you'll still need to scan that little dot in front of you in order to get the 3D surface map.

As I keep reminding, FDEV touted the 3D surface map as a general QoL improvement for everyone - not just explorers - as it does in fact affect non-explorers, and I am speaking up for those folks.

Speaking as an explorer who reached Elite through actual exploration and not neutron star grinding or cherry-picking, I see nothing wrong with the above as a gameplay choice.

After all, what does it matter when there are 400 billion star systems in the ED galaxy? There is no effect on other's gameplay - we still aren't even close to 1% of the galaxy explored since release (nay, since before release!).

Regards.

Doesn't matter - you'll still need to scan that little dot in front of you in order to get the 3D surface map.

As I keep reminding, FDEV touted the 3D surface map as a general QoL improvement for everyone - not just explorers - as it does in fact affect non-explorers, and I am speaking up for those folks.

Non-explorers just buy the data anyway for in-bubble systems. Anyway, glad FD listened to the request of those who wanted this change, me included.

Last edited:
Non-explorers just buy the data anyway for in-bubble systems. Anyway, glad FD listened to the request of those who wanted this change, me included.

You'll find a lot of non-explorers do in fact venture out of the bubble. Doesn't make them explorers as such though.

Rather selfish to be 'hording' this feature just for explorers IMO.

Regards.

The only planets that have that zoom function-so far-are planets you can land on.....so why the *hell* would you not scan a planet you were planning on landing on anyway? Seriously, I think you're just arguing for the sake of it....rather than bringing up a legitimate gripe. The majority of beta testers made it abundantly clear that they didn't want people to be able to get the detailed zoom effect for planets they hadn't scanned.

Sorry, is it a basic surface scan, or a detailed surface scan to reveal the map. And, what's the difference?

Basic scan-point at the planet, and get within scanning distance. A detailed surface scan gives you more valuable info-like materials and volcanism, plus the data is worth more with Universal Cartographics.

You'll find a lot of non-explorers do in fact venture out of the bubble. Doesn't make them explorers as such though.

Rather selfish to be 'hording' this feature just for explorers IMO.

I'm not an explorer, and I'm cool with them requiring you to *work* a little harder to enjoy this feature. 60% of planets in the bubble will already have all this info available.

*puts on Devil's Advocate hat*
The majority of beta testers made it abundantly clear that they didn't want people to be able to get the detailed zoom effect for planets they hadn't scanned.

And those of us who chose not to pay to bug squash something? What chance do we have to make out views clear?
/Devils Advocate

Having never used a Detailed Scanner I didn't even realise you could get a proper planetary view beyond the wireframe Death Star aesthetic, so I am glad they've tidied up something that affected a tiny minority of people.

If I have misunderstood and you need to Detail Scan just to see the bases to land upon, then I for one will be rending my garments and gnashing my teeth*
VB

*Rending and gnashing with be withheld if some of the spare 7 slots in the Planetary Approach Suite bay are utilised for the scanners and docking computers.

"Known issues:

Players may experience disconnection errors when making jumps/transitions whilst winged with other players."

Seven beta updates, and not a single one of them has mentioned a fix for this. NOT ONE. As I've mentioned numerous times, I've talked 8 friends out of purchasing this game because of this, and I'm damn proud to have done so at your expense.

This needs to be addressed immediately. Not in Beta 12, not in March 2017 - immediately.

Top Bottom