Patch Notes Update Beta 2.2 - Update 7

You'll find a lot of non-explorers do in fact venture out of the bubble. Doesn't make them explorers as such though.

Rather selfish to be 'hording' this feature just for explorers IMO.

Lol, now you're just making up people in support of your frustration. But sure, let's do it your way:

You'll find a lot of combat pilots who aren't really combat players as such love the idea of using the DDS. Rather selfish to dumb-down their gameplay just to simplify things for yourself IMO.

*puts on Devil's Advocate hat*

And those of us who chose not to pay to bug squash something? What chance do we have to make out views clear?
/Devils Advocate

Having never used a Detailed Scanner I didn't even realise you could get a proper planetary view beyond the wireframe Death Star aesthetic, so I am glad they've tidied up something that affected a tiny minority of people.

If I have misunderstood and you need to Detail Scan just to see the bases to land upon, then I for one will be rending my garments and gnashing my teeth*
VB

*Rending and gnashing with be withheld if some of the spare 7 slots in the Planetary Approach Suite bay are utilised for the scanners and docking computers.

(1) Beta Feedback Forum is open to *everyone*-not just Beta Testers.

(2) You don't need the Detailed Scanner to get the zoom effect, you only need to use your regular scanner.

It would be great if surface scans also populated the map with POIs, thus removing the need to use the blue circle mechanic. We could still have the wave scanner for the outcrops and such.
You know, adding a bit deterministic behavior to the gameplay. Also, we'd be encouraged to carry those scanners with us to really discover what's on a planet.

+1 for this

Sorry, is it a basic surface scan, or a detailed surface scan to reveal the map. And, what's the difference?

Either :p

The difference is whether you have a Detailed Surface Scanner (=DSS) equipped or not. The DSS is basically an upgrade to your regular ship's scanner, operation is the same (i.e. point the ship, select object, get close enough, wait for the scan to complete). You need the DSS to get detailed surface information, like mineral content, and increased payouts.

Must say. I'm very impressed this release in how we are having so many betas. I've never been a fan of the previous short beta periods and released going live with far too many known bugs in them.

Now, can we just have a word about the bug where if you have more than about 8 collecting limpets they get stuck? :p

just a few ideas

1- Color blind settings: anything red (text and sensor indicators) must be turned to a color that contrast the dark backgrounds.

2- Color blind settings: hostile npc or player ships that are normally red, should have circles that flash when they fire their weapons.

3- Color blind settings: Canisters (though, can stay white) should change shape to a diamond.

4- Color blind settings: on sensors, npc and authority npc, (though can stay the colors they are for now) should change shapes. Particularly authority npc should change to a star shape when hard points are deployed and a hexagon when retracted.

5- HUD color controls for customization like PC Mod with color pickers for elements.

6- in galaxy map> bookmarks, the delete option and plot route options should switch places to prevent accidental deletions.

7- bookmarks should be in the left nav panel above system map and galaxy map buttons.

8- contacts tab of the left nav panel should have filters like (canisters, materials, mining fragments, unscanned objects or ships, scanned objects or ships, hostile, friendly, neutral [authority])

9- while watching a live stream from commander Josh hawkin, a suggestion to show the schematic of where the module is to be placed during outfitting.

10- debug camera should always be behind and above the ship (not under the ship like my experience with my type 7, where it is stuck under the landing pad)

11- griefers and pirates are not the same. Pirates will ask for something but griefers shoot and ruin the game for everyone. Therefore:

11A) killing a pilot (human) should have exponentially more severe repercussions. For example, bounties should be in millions or billions where a large portion the griefed rebuy cost is deducted from all the griefers involved or in the same wing.

11B) griefers are to be hunted by all authority vessels are are marked for all pilots to see and hunt them with great rewards.

11C) to distinguish between pirates and griefers a 30 second window should be allowed for commanders to communicate (text or voice) after the interdiction, allowing the interdicted ship to escape or "parley". Otherwise this is a griefer and punishment is due if the interdicted ship is destroyed.

11D) NPC pirates do not count as they are not human.

11E) deploying hard points by the interdicted first is a defensive sign. If the interdictor deployed first without firing, it is a sign of aggression and a fine is issued.

11F) if the interdicted fires first fines are issued. Unless the interdictor is wanted.

11G) if the interdicted is wanted, it is open season.

12- the ability to bind 2 or more buttons to an action for Xbox....

13- Space Loach accessory to sprawl across the dashboard where it can be affected by turns and turbulence but never fall or cover the sensors.

You'll find a lot of non-explorers do in fact venture out of the bubble. Doesn't make them explorers as such though.

Rather selfish to be 'hording' this feature just for explorers IMO.

Thats a bit mean, the explorers have gotton presious little else since day one.

But then people will complain about the final version never being released. That means we'll be stuck in a deadlock. Forever.

Personally, I'm glad to see how they're doing this release. 2.1 was a PR disaster for a few reasons (though personally I never had any problems) but it went down badly. They're not taking any risks with 2.2.

While this was the original design for the scanners (fixing a separate issue has had a knock-on effect) the behaviour for the this view will return to its previous state. However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Michael

Dammit.

Keep it as it is in beta 7 and give some actual exploration to exploration .

Sure it will annoy a small minority that just wants to jump into a system, fire off their "God mode distance" advanced scanner and see everything without having moved from their arrival point next to the primary star and only bother with something that will pay out according to their optimal credit vs effort balance ratio. But it would also actually add some exploration into a game that currently has none because of the "God mode distance" advanced scanner and how the system map is not utilised at all for any meaningful exploration purpose.

Just having surface details not available until you perform a surface scan does absolutely sod all as far as system exploration goes..... yes it may be a nice touch for people that want to play galactic tourist and go sight seeing, but that's not the same as exploration.

For once, can Frontier please not just pander to the lowest engagement threshold audience and actually try to stick to adding something that involves some kind of player engagement?

It's bad enough all the sub-story arc stuff is being relocated to a single patch of the galaxy simply because players couldn't be bothered to do anything but fly around in circles in a tiny area yet still expect to have everything new found whilst they fly in narrow loops calling themselves groups of explorers.

So please please PLEASE can at least some token effort be made for the actual explorers who at the moment have absolutely nothing in the game in any guise that even covers the notion of exploration.

Last edited:
Dammit.

Sure it will annoy a small minority that just want to jump into a system, fire off their "God mode distance" advanced scanner and see everything without having moved from their arrival point next to the primary star and only bother with something that will pay out according to their optimal credit vs effort balance ratio. But it would also actually add some exploration into a game that currently has none because of the "God mode distance" advanced scanner.

Just having surface details not available until you perform a surface scan does absolutely sod all as far as system exploration goes..... yes it may be a nice touch for people that want to play galactic tourist and go sight seeing, but that's not the same as exploration.

For once, can Frontier please not just pander to the lowest engagement threshold audience and actually try to stick to adding something that involves some kind of player engagement?

It's bad enough all the sub-story arc stuff is being relocated to a single patch of the galaxy simply because players couldn't be bothered to do anything but fly around in circles in a tiny area yet still expect to have everything new found whilst they fly in narrow loops calling themselves groups of explorers.

So please please PLEASE can at least some token effort be made for the actual explorers who at the moment have absolutely nothing in the game in any guise that even covers the notion of exploration.

Or at least make it an option! There is lots of support for this!

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ve-Beta-7-ADS-function-as-an-optional-setting

Dammit.

Sure it will annoy a small minority that just wants to jump into a system, fire off their "God mode distance" advanced scanner and see everything without having moved from their arrival point next to the primary star and only bother with something that will pay out according to their optimal credit vs effort balance ratio. But it would also actually add some exploration into a game that currently has none because of the "God mode distance" advanced scanner and how the system map is not utilised at all for any meaningful exploration purpose.

Great points....oh, & I love your avatar. You a big fan of SMAC?

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ve-Beta-7-ADS-function-as-an-optional-setting

I am not even an explorer (though the new planetary stuff might make me become one ;) ) but it is definitely an option I would go for.

As it is now, I don't even look in the system map until I have done a basic surface scan of the planets in an unexplored system.....as I feel doing so would be *cheating*!

Dammit.

+1 completely agree!

I especially like that the beta 7 version in a way counteracts the negative effects of the unlimited range of the ADS: now people jumping into a system and using the almighty horn won't always find everything worthwhile without investing some time into actually inspecting the individual planets. It leaves the chance for those coming later to still find something special that those first discoverers missed.

With the pre-beta 7 version the chance to be the first to scan a Earth-like system in a previously visited system is nearly zero. With the mechanic introduced in beta 7 visiting those systems will still hold the chance to find something no-one else has discovered, yet.
Granted, the "first discovered by" tag will probably still be attributed to the first person to blow the horn (even though I think this would be a nice opportunity to to fix this and actually give this honor to the first person who actually scanned the planet!), but the real explorer will probably still feel a kind of accomplishment when he is the first person to scan an Ammonia World near the bubble no-one has reported, yet!

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I do admit I still think making it optional misses the point. That way people not enabling the method will actually prevent those who do use to discover something new in a previously visited system. IMHO it should either be made obligatory or not added at all.

Last edited:
Dammit.

Very nice [up], sad that I can't add more as one rep.

Add to this above money increase for find valuable planets (2-3x what is now) and you have nice basic ground for real exploration :)

Last edited:
That's how I understood it, based on Mike's posts:

No scan = no planets (except for, like in 2.1, the stuff floating around immediately next to the central star)
Discovery scan = thumbnails of planets within discovery scanner range, but no surface map through zooming in (i.e. the now familiar blue grid)
Planetary scan (level 2 or level 3 = DSS) = detailed surface textures, presumably zoomable and rotatable

Black planets = currently considered a bug

(I am French, I use a translator, I hope the translation is good)

Black planets a bug..
it seemed to me that it was not normal.. a very ugly bug lol

you confirm my doubts.. i immediately feel reassured ;-)

FSD interdictor seem does not work after upgrading to Beta 7, is there any commander notice that? I have been trying 4 times to interdict small ship but always failed.

EDIT: Been confirmed as a bug. FDEV are, however, moving the originally touted QoL feature (3D surface map) behind a Detailed Surface Scan - which is pointless and disappointing.

This is truly terrible FDEV.

It has officially ruined my immersion because you have removed the telescopes from the basic scanner.

Awful, awful thing.

http://i.imgur.com/YKODqKI.png

They found a way to make exploring even more tedious and time consuming.
Bye bye Elite exploring rank!

However you will need to have completed a surface scan to see the surface in the surface map, with no surface scan it will default to the sphere grid.

Horrible decision. When you've seen 10,000+ ice balls they become somewhat dull - some interesting features might make them worth a visit, and was fun in earlier betas. You've essentially just removed the point of the planetary map for a lot of explorers.

While I have my moan-hat on, please please please get the atmosphere and composition breakdowns added to the Scan event in the journal. Without it, we still need to rely on OCR to automate collection of that data.

I'm unable to select the system map, from the galaxy map, on previously explored systems. Like my first discovered systems.
Anyone else notice this?

Top Bottom