Alien archeology and other mysteries: Thread 9 - The Canonn

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Quick question which seems highly pertinent to the ongoing endeavors of Canonn research. Would I be correct in thinking that currently in 2.2 the planet co-ordinate display has been reversed? I remember seeing this mentioned in patch notes and also in some beta bug reports (which have now been locked).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/291228-Lat-Lon-coordinates-have-been-transposed

As described in the thread above (and elsewhere) this is potentially disastrous since it means all the co-ordinates you guys have written down in spreadsheets, databases, journals, websites, etc are now all the wrong way around and worse, if it's not reverted back soon, these external records will start to contain a mixture of co-ordinate systems, some in the pre 2.2 format and some in the post 2.2 format.

Unless I've missed something I can't believe people aren't already being more vocal about this.

Anyway, I've started a new bug report over here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ting-all-co-ordinates-noted-down-prior-to-2-2

Mike Evans

Designer- Elite: Dangerous
Frontier
Quick question which seems highly pertinent to the ongoing endeavors of Canonn research. Would I be correct in thinking that currently in 2.2 the planet co-ordinate display has been reversed? I remember seeing this mentioned in patch notes and also in some beta bug reports (which have now been locked).

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/291228-Lat-Lon-coordinates-have-been-transposed

As described in the thread above (and elsewhere) this is potentially disastrous since it means all the co-ordinates you guys have written down in spreadsheets, databases, journals, websites, etc are now all the wrong way around and worse, if it's not reverted back soon, these external records will start to contain a mixture of co-ordinate systems, some in the pre 2.2 format and some in the post 2.2 format.

Unless I've missed something I can't believe people aren't already being more vocal about this.

Anyway, I've started a new bug report over here:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...ting-all-co-ordinates-noted-down-prior-to-2-2

That's not a bug. It was bugged originally and has now been fixed. I don't think it makes sense keeping it broken going forward.

Some bets the co ordinate system has been reversed but not confirmed yet

Well I tried to go down to a couple of co-ordinates I had noted this morning (a large mountain on Njokujinun 1, and the site of the recent Paladin Consortium SRV Grand Prix on LFT 37 6A) and couldn't find either of them at the co-ordinates as previosuly transcribed. My bet would be that if you tried to land at any of the co-ordinates previously notes for Barnacle sites, etc that you would find anything there unless you reversed the co-ordinates. In other words, I'm pretty sure this has happened and needs to be reversed ASAP before things start to get REALLY confusing.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

That's not a bug. It was bugged originally and has now been fixed. I don't think it makes sense keeping it broken going forward.

I appreciate that but do you see the problem re: the thousands of co-ordinates that everyone already has noted down and the confusion going forward when spreadsheets start to contain a mixture of co-ordinates from pre and post 2.2?

Mike Evans

Frontier
Well I tried to go down to a couple of co-ordinates I had noted this morning (a large mountain on Njokujinun 1, and the site of the recent Paladin Consortium SRV Grand Prix on LFT 37 6A) and couldn't find either of them at the co-ordinates as previosuly transcribed. My bet would be that if you tried to land at any of the co-ordinates previously notes for Barnacle sites, etc that you would find anything there unless you reversed the co-ordinates. In other words, I'm pretty sure this has happened and needs to be reversed ASAP before things start to get REALLY confusing.

I appreciate that but do you see the problem re: the thousands of co-ordinates that everyone already has noted down and the confusion going forward when spreadsheets start to contain a mixture of co-ordinates from pre and post 2.2?

Get all spreadsheets backed up from the old system first. Then flip the relevant co-ord in them. Then continue from there. You have a known date when the change happened so you should be able to disregard all co-ords after then until they've been verified to be correct in the current version. Old co-ords can be updated.

Mike Evans

Frontier
So it appears that latitude and longitude got swapped in 2.2. However, I've just been informed it's been reverted in the next update so I assume everything will go back to how it was and you don't have to worry about it.

To be clear, the coordinates have not changed. Latitude is still latitude and longitude is still longitude.

What has changed is the HUD display. It used to read: Lat, Long, Gravity. Now it reads: Long, Lat, Gravity.

No biggie, just takes a bit to get used to.

The change in USS name for the Unknown Probe isn't something to get excited about.

Michael

Hi Michael. Is it positron-electron plasma that super charges the FDS in the Neutron star jets?

To be clear, the coordinates have not changed. Latitude is still latitude and longitude is still longitude.

What has changed is the HUD display. It used to read: Lat, Long, Gravity. Now it reads: Long, Lat, Gravity.

And, by the sounds of it, will revert back to Lat, Long, Gravity in the near future. I guess where people have taken the time to write down "Latitude: X, Longitude: Y" it's not so bad but in many places people just write down the two co-ordinates in the order they appear on screen (that's certainly what I've done in all my bookmarks, partly due to limited string length). For example, the recent Paladin Consortium SRV Grand Prix ..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...n-Consortium-Anniversary-Event-SRV-Grand-Prix!

.. just says ..

Coords: -13.2 / 43.48

Right now those won't work and you need to go to 43.48, -13.2 (i.e. what's written in that thread is now wrong). By the sounds of it this will revert shortly (so let's hope nobody edits that thread in the meantime).

The change in USS name for the Unknown Probe isn't something to get excited about.

Michael

So does it mean it is deliberate? ;)

I suggest checking if something in the spectrogram has changed...

An Anomaly Threat has become a Degraded Emission... the only thing it could mean is that the UP has ended its purpose, so now THEY are going to take advantage of what the UP transmitted. THEY (one of my favorite B-Movies, a masterpiece).

Last edited:
Well i could but in the trailer at 1:27 that image totaly didnt make sense (Pleiades and andromeda didn't line up, spots on any of the planets didn't match) So yeah i could but it will lead you nowere! :(
Sorry thread!
/Leut goes back to lurking

Some of us wasted a lot of time & effort trying to track down the Barnacle from the 2.1 trailer, until FD admitted that the trailer was "cinematographic", i.e produced to demonstrate the concepts but not based on in-game reality. Apparently these trailers are produced on a different machine entirely. I suspect the same is true of the 2.2 trailer & wherever the ruins are in-game the skybox will bear little or no relation to the release trailer.

So does it mean it is deliberate? ;)

I suggest checking if something in the spectrogram has changed...

An Anomaly Threat has become a Degraded Emission... the only thing it could mean is that the UP has ended its purpose, so now THEY are going to take advantage of what the UP transmitted. THEY (one of my favorite B-Movies, a masterpiece).

People are skip reading it. It actually says "Deranged Emission..." ;)

So crack pot theory formulated over a digestive and guardians trailer.... the Xenohenge data beacon. Or "Xenobeacon", may contain a system permit for Col sector.... or clue to getting it.
Erm.... dont we think that about EVERYTHING ?

So crack pot theory formulated over a digestive and guardians trailer.... the Xenohenge data beacon. Or "Xenobeacon", may contain a system permit for Col sector.... or clue to getting it.

I love it. Really. A brand new mechanic.

If the Ruins placement is not entirely random (I hope not!), and FD had some lore reasons to place them (I hope so!), I suggest looking for them in Pleiades first. Starting from Merope I insist. Not 5c perhaps, but there are so many planets in there....

Last edited:
So it appears that latitude and longitude got swapped in 2.2. However, I've just been informed it's been reverted in the next update so I assume everything will go back to how it was and you don't have to worry about it.

Nice to hear. In 2.2 i was simple unable to find anything even that i know that values got changed.
What's about let them stay at correct values and give us finally the option to 'mark' a position on the new planetary maps?
Just setting a needle at coordinates where we want to go and than approaching like at an mission USS or planetary base?

I have noticed that the distortion effect on stars during hyperspace count down is now exactly the same as the UA/UP distortion effect.
The blue light on top of the Xenobeacon look similar to the UA light. I will not be surprised if the top of the tower has the same distortion effect.

It could be a communication tower or it could be a lighthouse that is visible inside hyperspace. Either way, it may help us sneak into Col 70 sector.

The Xenobeacon also looks a bit like a railgun, so it could be an UA launcher as well.

BTW in the log, a UP is named unknownartifact2
So "Probe" probably IS just clutching at random cool sounding terminology rather than being specific to its nature.

I love it. Really. A brand new mechanic.

If the Ruins placement is not entirely random (I hope not!), and FD had some lore reasons to place them (I hope so!), I suggest looking for them in Pleiades first. Starting from Merope I insist. Not 5c perhaps, but there are so many planets in there....

Noone has ever come up with a reason for 5C to be so important, as opposed to any other planet/moon/system. So the ruins might be there also (now).

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom