Cross-platform play

Great news about the PS4 version!

Two key questions:

1. Will commander saves work between PS4 and PC allowing seamless pick-up and play going between the two?

2. Will there be cross-platform play and shared instances between PS4 and PC players (apparently this has been available on PSN since 2002 :O) ?

An official comment would be appreciated :)

Brett C

Frontier
Hi Rieve,

No, commander saves are still limited to the platform it was saved to. PC to PC, XB1 to XB1, PS4 to PS4.

There will not be cross platform play. The background sim will be all one in the same to all platforms, but players will only be able to see one another on the same platform, same as above.

It would be hard to implement now because they've already allowed duplicate CMDR names across platforms which seems like a bad move, as it allows no possibility of merging them in future without a lot of hassle.

It would be hard to implement now because they've already allowed duplicate CMDR names across platforms which seems like a bad move, as it allows no possibility of merging them in future without a lot of hassle.

"IF" the merge, (hope eventually they do/can) They can work with platform specific icons near or in the CMDR names.

Hi Rieve,

No, commander saves are still limited to the platform it was saved to. PC to PC, XB1 to XB1, PS4 to PS4.

There will not be cross platform play. The background sim will be all one in the same to all platforms, but players will only be able to see one another on the same platform, same as above.

Is cross platform instancing completely off the table, or is it more of a "can't do now, maybe in the future" kind of thing?

Sorry, but that's just horrible. I was thinking about building a fast PC with VR, but I won't, don't want to start over. Bought the game, but in the end... no. I have a PS4 Pro with PSVR. Now you're doing that to me again. Why do I have to stick with this lousy XBOX forever?

Deleted member 110222

D
Sorry, but that's just horrible. I was thinking about building a fast PC with VR, but I won't, don't want to start over. Bought the game, but in the end... no. I have a PS4 Pro with PSVR. Now you're doing that to me again. Why do I have to stick with this lousy XBOX forever?

Trust me, a fresh start isn't bad. I've done so four times now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Trust me, a fresh start isn't bad. I've done so four times now.

May be true for you, for me it would be a complete waste of time and I'd rather stop playing for another 30 years.
Of course there is project scorpio, so I probably have a chance I'll get VR there, but who knows how bad Microsoft will screw up again.

Is cross platform instancing completely off the table, or is it more of a "can't do now, maybe in the future" kind of thing?

When I asked him about PC <> Xbox crossplay after MS said it now supported that, Frontier's Gary Richards said:

The vision of the game has always been for everyone to be able to play together in the same Galaxy. The announcement from Microsoft regarding cross-play certainly helps us towards that vision, but there are many technical and infrastructure obstacles that need to be resolved.
I do feel it would be great if players had the option to play cross-platform so (as you say) they could then choose the game mode that suited them.

I would assume it would be similar (i.e. along the lines of "hopefully maybe in future once hurdles are jumped") for PC <> PS4.

For Xbox <> PS4, or full Xbox <> PS4 <> PC, I'd expect that it's got pretty much zero chance whatsoever, thanks to Sony.

Last edited:
I personally would be super happy to do a once off transfer from PC->PS4. I'd even plonk some money on the Frontier store front if it required a bit of manual DB copying on the backend.

I personally would be super happy to do a once off transfer from PC->PS4. I'd even plonk some money on the Frontier store front if it required a bit of manual DB copying on the backend.

I would pay as well if it was a money reason why PC-Xbox-PS4 can't interact with each other in game.

Would be so amazing to drop all players in the same galaxy not only BGS wise.

Ah, but with no platform crossover that would suggest on day one a pretty empty Universe of PS4 players! That could give an experienced player a fresh start to quickly come up to speed without a lot of player interference.

Ah, but with no platform crossover that would suggest on day one a pretty empty Universe of PS4 players! That could give an experienced player a fresh start to quickly come up to speed without a lot of player interference.

That was my thought too. Quite an appealing prospect.

I had this theory that the reason for the current combat tweaking, gimbal vs fixed, was in preperation for merging the PC and console into shared instances.

Maybe not then.

Cross-platform between xbox and ps may solve the problem what console is better ;) And when they figure which one is better, then we would solve what is better - a console or PC :D Sounds cool.

Last edited:
I own both consoles and have a decent PC. I have elite on PC and Xbox. When this comes out for PS4, I'll probably get it on there too. It's fun to start over and try different things. The way I started on PC is completely different than the way I started out on Xbox.

Came here to post again about this. Clearly several games have all managed to make this happen (Street Fighter for instance).

Speaking as a PC player who has bored all PS4 friends to death talking about Elite - my friends are now getting excited about PS4 Elite and it's devastating to have to tell them I can't play with them. :(

Top Bottom