HTC Vive resolution and  focus

Steam vr beta update today mentions supersampling improvements. Had anyone tested this yet??
If we are taking about March 15th update than I did some tests. Supersampling is slightly betterbut comapre to non beta still blurry and all text in games looks terrible.

Last edited:
Comparisons are hard to do, now. After I made my last post [while at work,] I was driving home and stopped in at the computer store, where my wallet fell out of my pocket, landing on the pay-wave device which accidently paid for a CPU/MB/RAM upgrade I didn't know i needed.

I updated to SteamVR beta, simply to get access to the convenient SS slider, and I am running my SS within it now instead of within Elite/HMD. I believe I've noticed a few points where the clarity is better, but it's harder to tell when everything is running better in general

I see terrible accident happened to you ;-) Your wife knows ? I heard that Elite is quite CPU demanding, I only have old i7 3770k and thinking about upgrade but I not convinced how munch FPS will gain.

I don't like new beta steam vr , supersampling maybe is faster but still blurry , I prefer sharpness in SS of non beta (steamvr) which is better for text in games.

Last edited:
She was just telling me again, on Saturday, that I spend too much money on sh..

Though, admittedly, we've been divorced a while now so that doesn't have the impact it once did :D

I see terrible accident happened to you ;-) Your wife knows ? I heard that Elite is quite CPU demanding, I only have old i7 3770k and thinking about upgrade but I not convinced how munch FPS will gain.

I don't like new beta steam vr , supersampling maybe is faster but still blurry , I prefer sharpness in SS of non beta (steamvr) which is better for text in games.

I'm going to revisit vanilla SteamVR then, in a few days, as I haven't reverted back since the upgrade. I was running an i5 3570K @ 4.3 but now I've got an i7 7700K@4.6... There's a noticeable change in performance. The i5 would run at 100% when in Elite VR, it was certainly the bottleneck of my system. That said, ETS2 and Elite in VR are the only two things I play that would hit that hard, the i5 ran very well otherwise

Currently and a work in progress:
SteamVR beta [with slider] SS: 1.5
dEYMSRb.png

Last edited:
I have been mucking about with my settings in VR a lot but I can't seem to get the right balance. I will try these settings and see if my system can handle it.

Hoping someone can help me out. Google wasn't kind enough to find this thread for me. So I started one on reddit for help to optimize visuals for my Vive (which I've had since launch). A helpful reddit user had me change my in-game settings to HMD QUality: 2.0 and SS at 0.6. I have VR Ultra as the preset.

I'm loving how crystal clear the HUD elements are now. Everything looks GREAT! Well, everything except man-made structures (stations, ships, settlements, etc...)

Here's an image of the contrast in quality between man-made structures and everything else in view. Does anyone know what I need to do to get man made structures looking as good as the rest of the game?

EDIT: Sorry. Image not displaying. Here's a link...

http://imgur.com/86AcxBZ

Last edited:
The aliasing issues are not going away anytime soon, I expect.

Similarly to Unreal Engine 4 (until very recently), most things in Elite Dangerous use a deferred rendering path within Frontier's "Cobra" engine, and such are apparently not conductive to multisampling antialiasing methods, which is why we're left with hideously blurring post-processing AA options.
Actually I don't have knowledge of whether better AA would help much with the game's rampant specular aliasing, either; That is not a polygon edge matter, but one of environment- and normal maps, their scales, and LODs mipmaps, and interaction between them...

If your machine can take it, I would set SS to 1, for maximum detail, and check what else you might be able to live with sacrificing for performance, instead, making a few choice cuts into that preset -- ambient occlusion, e.g, is a bit of a GPU hog. (You can, in place of the 0.6 undersampling, use one of the cheapest AA options (FXAA and SMAA) to dampen the specular spots a little, if you like)

A recent SteamVR beta introduced a new optimised filtering method, which favoured more averaging of texels when supersampling, but this was changed back to the old one the other day, after many of us complained about blurry output; Aliasing is bad, but too soft is worse, in the eyes of many, myself included -- your mileage may vary, and the devs at Valve are looking into either finding a solution that is both performant and can cater to both tastes, or making it an option which to use. :7

During the time of the beta versions that had the new filtering, corresponding values between SteamVR's supersampling, and Elite's HMD Quality did not produce the same results, for some reason, and favouring the former with, let's say 2, and the latter with 1, looked much better (as in sharper), than the other way around. -I have not tested whether this disparity persists with the latest beta, with the reverted filtering, but you might want to give it a try (I.e: Use SteamVR's renderTargetMultiplier to supersample, and leave both Elite's options at 1.0).

(Funny-ish little anecdote: When giving the extremely unrealistic (even with the newest shiniest graphics card) RenderTargetMultiplier 3.0 and ED SS 2.0 yet another "let's-see-how-this-looks" go, the other day, Elite Dangerous (presumably running out of graphics memory) coughed up the normals buffer in the left eye of my HMD, instead of the composite image -- looked kind of freaky and nicely confirms we're dealing with deferred rendering :7 (EDIT: It looked gorgeous in the eye that got the complete output, though :9))

Last edited:
Anyone here using Asus Strix 1080ti with ED 2.3 beta steam vr beta SS 2.0 ? I would like to comapre some FPS resoults I got on that card...

It`s been a long time now and it is about time FD did something about this issue.

Give up. Play the game in 2D or play something else. They're never going to fix it. They won't say this out loud because they're afraid people will stop buying the game for VR, but they simply can't fix these problems. They're just going to wait for the hardware to catch up.

I know personally I am not going to upgrade my bought-last-year 980ti for at least another 2-3 years so I have given up on the game in VR completely.

Last edited:
Is anyone else thinking that all the menus are "too big" or "too close" to your face when playing in vr? Because I just came back to elite and all the menus are slammed to my face and I can't find anything to adjust this. Every menu when opened is just way too close to my eyes and I'm having really hard time to navigate thru menus and read text. Is this maybe some new change which can be reversed somehow or?

For example in system view the info panel is somewhere on my left side. I really need to turn my head left and lean backwards to read system/planet infos
Also at the station all menus are so close that I have to lean backwards to read them

Not really used to read something just 5cm away from my eyes.. That is how all menus feels currently

Any ideas?

Hmm, no, sorry. Station panel about 80cm distant here, and system map panel at a metre or so.

And this is with your head in the right place on your body? :7

Is anyone else thinking that all the menus are "too big" or "too close" to your face when playing in vr? Because I just came back to elite and all the menus are slammed to my face and I can't find anything to adjust this. Every menu when opened is just way too close to my eyes and I'm having really hard time to navigate thru menus and read text. Is this maybe some new change which can be reversed somehow or?

For example in system view the info panel is somewhere on my left side. I really need to turn my head left and lean backwards to read system/planet infos
Also at the station all menus are so close that I have to lean backwards to read them

Not really used to read something just 5cm away from my eyes.. That is how all menus feels currently

Any ideas?

Which ship are you in? I find the ship launched fighters are right in your face, because of the small cockpit, but I dig it and it feels apt in there

Last edited:
Which ship are you in? I find the ship launched fighters are right in your face, because of the small cockpit, but I dig it and it feels apt in there

This
The smaller ships are very close, especially if you have just launched from a big vessel with them at a nice distance, the first glance at the panels are a shock.

Hmm, no, sorry. Station panel about 80cm distant here, and system map panel at a metre or so.

And this is with your head in the right place on your body? :7

Yes, all the menus and panels would be fine if I could be one meter behind normal head position. However that way pilot chair is blocking my view :(

Just been flying anaconda now so not really small ship issue people proposed

Yes, all the menus and panels would be fine if I could be one meter behind normal head position. However that way pilot chair is blocking my view :(

Just been flying anaconda now so not really small ship issue people proposed

Try Imperial Courier :) For me distance to left/right panel is even too far.
I have only some problems with galaxy map and market UI (not curved)

Has anyone played with an R9 390? My current setup: R9 390 with an i5-4590 6M Cache 3.30GHz. I know my processor may need an upgrade soon but not sure if I should upgrade my GPU first or processor to get the best out of my Vive.

Has anyone played with an R9 390? My current setup: R9 390 with an i5-4590 6M Cache 3.30GHz. I know my processor may need an upgrade soon but not sure if I should upgrade my GPU first or processor to get the best out of my Vive.

I don't have an R9, but I ran VR quite well with a 1080 and an i5 3750K OC'd to 4.3Ghz. I've upgraded to a 7700K which has made a big difference, but the clear majority of the work still comes from the GPU.

I don't have an R9, but I ran VR quite well with a 1080 and an i5 3750K OC'd to 4.3Ghz. I've upgraded to a 7700K which has made a big difference, but the clear majority of the work still comes from the GPU.

What are the main differences you saw with that upgrade (qualitative or quantitative)? I'm currently running with a GTX-1070 and an i5-3570K OC'ed to ~4.1 GHz, and I'm thinking my next upgrade will be to an i5-7600K or an i7-7700K, but since that will also require a new MB & RAM (not to mention reloading Windows and all my games), it may be awhile.

Last edited:
What are the main differences you saw with that upgrade (qualitative or quantitative)? I'm currently running with a GTX-1070 and an i5-3570K OC'ed to ~4.1 GHz, and I'm thinking my next upgrade will be to an i5-7600K or an i7-7700K, but since that will also require a new MB & RAM (not to mention reloading Windows and all my games), it may be awhile.

Frames per second is the main thing. I thought it ran well before, re-projection kicked in and I accepted that as just how it ran. And I loved it. With the new CPU, I can turn re-projection off altogether and still maintain[short of the odd stutter on loading new areas] 85~90 FPS in the heavy areas like stations and resource sites, and the difference that made by itself is amazing. Everything moves like fluid, now. With that, I've also been able to raise a couple of the graphics settings in Elite, a little, too.

Full disclosure, I had to upgrade my motherboard to accommodate the CPU, too. So increased memory speeds, bus speeds all contribute to allowing the GPU to work better

Last edited:
Top Bottom