Galaxy map is impossible to navigate with VR

I was so close to name the thread virtually impossible, but I didn't, and still did.

However, I can not for the life of me understand how people using VR navigates the galaxy map.
If I know I'll start up ED in VR I have to load ED on normal, know where I am going so I can bookmark everything before hand.
Because when in VR, selecting any system is impossible. The cursor will be in the window right ontop of the system as it's also showing up in VR, but the result is the same, nothing.

I'll include a video showing how I just fail to select a few systems shortly as it's done rendering to youtube.

[video=youtube_share;2_xdX43sPn8]https://youtu.be/2_xdX43sPn8[/video]

Does anyone know if it's on my end or what's up with this?

Last edited:
Your selector circle and star system circles weren't centered on each other. You never got the info box pop up. How are you controlling it? I have everything set up on my hotas. Tilt, menu navigation, up down etc.

Last edited:
Personally I use the keyboard , really hard to begin with but second nature now.

I agree it's tough though.

I make heavy use of bookmarks , Google my route , copy name paste into map and bookmark.

Not ideal but at least workable.

Your selector circle and star system circles weren't centered on each other. You never got the info box pop up. How are you controlling it? I have everything set up on my hotas. Tilt, menu navigation, up down etc.

Surely, it shouldn't demand to be dead center, on the pixel, (just tried it in VR with mouse, still nothing) in order to select a system I want to go to with the mouse. And I exclusively use the mouse without VR and in it and I works perfectly without. However I tried using the hotas in VR and it's way more accurate than the mouse in VR. I guess it's a get used to thing but that should be the accessibility that makes you switch, not because the other option is out right 'broken'.

Thanks for the tip tho, I'll use the hotas to navigate it hence forth until some fixes can be done.

Personally I use the keyboard , really hard to begin with but second nature now.

I agree it's tough though.

I make heavy use of bookmarks , Google my route , copy name paste into map and bookmark.

Not ideal but at least workable.

I've no idéa how you've managed to get it working with the keyboard & mouse. I tried the HOTAS as Mxpower mentioned and I guess that's my future. But if you got any tricks let me know! ^^

It is a pita for sure. I just use the search (type in or copy&paste with keyboard) or the missions 'show on map' if i have a missiontarget. Would love to see some improvements, but it work OK this way.

Keyboard mouse works fine for me. Trick for me is to turn on the grid and use the circle to get the pop up if the pop up isn't there move the circle off a little then snap it back on. Second tip is to change the way the mouse is rendered in menus. There is a option that moves it with the hmd this works much much better.

{Make sure the galaxy map GRID is on} . I use the mouse the same as I did before VR, except for moving the cursor on the x/y plane (galaxy map) and horizontal/vertical scroll (system map) . I assigned those 2 movements to the pov hat on my throttle. All other mouse movements and buttons are game default. This includes camera angles, RMB z-axis control, wheel zoom, etc. With the grid on it is easy to use the throttles POV to move the cursor over the target star (when close enough) and click-your locked. Others have mapped all the controls to their hotas which works also. I like the mouse though for it's camera control and being able to zoom out and grab and drag across large distances of the maps. Works great.
The only other thing is typing in a destination which for me is easy enough with a Rift nose gap peek and a backlit keyboard.

Very simple, xbox controller. i have an old wireless 360 controller I use for the SRV and gal/sys map. No issues whatsoever and very easy to use in VR. I have many issues with FD, but I can`t fault them for the amount of control options available in game.

A on-screen keyboard is badly needed for the galaxy map though.

Last edited:
Man I wish FDev did a overhaul for galaxy map and system map in VR, it could be an amazing experience in itself

Unfortunately it's awkward and somewhat difficult to use, although usable when setup properly :(

Every two weeks there is a tread like this.
If you setup your Hotas properly to work with the maps it's a joy to use.
Maybe you want to google something like "Elite VR Galaxy map setup"
There must be some movies or other explanations.

Every two weeks there is a tread like this.
If you setup your Hotas properly to work with the maps it's a joy to use.
Maybe you want to google something like "Elite VR Galaxy map setup"
There must be some movies or other explanations.

This. Setup the GM with your Hotas and it is easy. I am so used to it now, that when i play on my monitor (which is very rare), I still use the Hotas as I now find it easier and quicker.

This. Setup the GM with your Hotas and it is easy. I am so used to it now, that when i play on my monitor (which is very rare), I still use the Hotas as I now find it easier and quicker.

No idea why anyone would want to take their hands off their hands on throttle and stick (while playing the game that is). Kinda defeats the object of using one really.

Last edited:
Very simple, xbox controller. i have an old wireless 360 controller I use for the SRV and gal/sys map. No issues whatsoever and very easy to use in VR. I have many issues with FD, but I can`t fault them for the amount of control options available in game.

I still use the XBOX Controller too and it works good

I could see your problem within 5 seconds - mouse pointer!
HOTAS - paddles = left right plane, throttle = forward/backward, hat controller = up/down, 2 buttons to to scroll left and right on the menu
2.4 also fixed the mouse being off the galaxy map so you can now this to click on system search too
follow this to erase all your frustrations!!

Thanks for all the response and suggestions, I have tried mapping things to my HOTAS setup and it's working good enough for now. I do have a 360 controller I use for the camera which I will also try to use with the galaxy map, see which I prefer.

But I just don't get it, maybe you do.

Why can I do this without VR and not in it?
[video=youtube_share;lMfPyccV70s]https://youtu.be/lMfPyccV70s[/video]

I do as well, its currently the optimal way of playing the game for me. Unfortunately, you only get two input options for a lot of the functions, which I am already using for things like navigation around menu's - A hat on the HOTAS uses one up and the dpad on the xbox uses the other - I cannot add a third for the keyboard, so I am not able to use Voice Attack to do things like dock etc.

oh well ..

I do kinda agree, the Galaxy map was implemented for non-VR and is kind of a carry-over - I wish they could take a look at it at some point and see if there is a better way to implement this in VR and make it easier to use (OSK would be nice)

Thanks for all the response and suggestions, I have tried mapping things to my HOTAS setup and it's working good enough for now. I do have a 360 controller I use for the camera which I will also try to use with the galaxy map, see which I prefer.

https://youtu.be/lMfPyccV70s

Simply put?

A mouse is a 2D input device. In VR, the galaxy map is a 3D display. The two aren't quite compatible, which is why everyone keeps recommending that you use your HOTAS, a 3D input device (6 degrees of freedom), rather than the mouse. The tiny shifts of your head that you do, imperceptible to YOU, make it hard to select anything with the mouse. Combine that with stereoscopic vision, where your brain takes 2D images from both your eyes and combines it into one 3D image, and you have a recipe for imprecision.

https://youtu.be/lMfPyccV70s

Well actually, you can grab a target star with the mouse in VR. It is just very very hard to do since as pointed out it's not a 3d device. Hence the need to be able to control the x/z movement of the targeting reticle with a pov or such. Also as pointed out this gets complained about every couple of weeks as someone new get a VR set. A well constructed google search should get you at all those threads. They have been happening for over a year and are full of alternative control preferences for these maps in VR by the users here. You'll just have to find an alternative method that you can work with since I doubt it will change and (really) once you adapt to what works, it works just fine. We all adapted.

Last edited:
As others have said, XBox controller works well. It can be a bit slower than the mouse when panning, I've learned to zoom out for faster panning and zoom in. But now I feel like I've mastered it, it's not without a few frustrations at times, but I've experienced worse UX in my days.

Mouse Keyboard is easy.

Right mouse button moves up and down---Y Axis
WS key forward back---Z Axis
AD key left right---X Axis
Left mouse button pans around
Scroll wheel zoom----Zoom out for larger XYZ movements.
In Graphics set the mouse to "Render window based cursor"----> This is very important!!!!

Turn the Galaxy map grid on. Its Show grid Far right options on galaxy map. When you want to target a star move the cursor to the corresponding dot on the grid. If the popup goes away or does not appear move the cursor slightly off the dot then back on.

With this setup I can navigate the galaxy map with ease select anything go anywhere.

2Sdvkwy.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom