"Beyond" free for Horizon owners - LEP musings

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think it's the right way to go ; the yearly season model just does dwindle the player base. Still I have a bitter taste i my mouth when I think of the 165€ I cashed in for the LEP, when I could have got Horizons and be good until Q4 2018 - at the very least. When I bought LEP in August 2015, the (10y)plan was one extension per year, and even then the added-value of the LEP was a gamble : it would be covered after about three extensions/seasons. Now we know that Horizons lasts for three years... FDev should really seriously consider some perks, or partial refunds by now.

I think it's the right way to go ; the yearly season model just does dwindle the player base. Still I have a bitter taste i my mouth when I think of the 165€ I cashed in for the LEP, when I could have got Horizons and be good until Q4 2018 - at the very least. When I bought LEP in August 2015, the (10y)plan was one extension per year, and even then the added-value of the LEP was a gamble : it would be covered after about three extensions/seasons. Now we know that Horizons lasts for three years... FDev should really seriously consider some perks, or partial refunds by now.

Honest question: do you feel you didnt/wont get enough for the money, or are you upset other people get it for less?

Honest question: do you feel you didnt/wont get enough for the money, or are you upset other people get it for less?

Speaking for myself I was happy to pay extra for LEP without knowing how things would turn out. I hope everyone that did also realised it was a "gamble". At the same time I understand the OPs point of view. It just personally doesn't bother me.

It bothers me more that core game still isn't that much fun and has little depth.

Nah, obviously they'll charge for big ticket items like atmospheric worlds. It is a LIFETIME pass after all.

You can't charge for core features updates, people who have been yammering for them from the start need that stuff for free. Think about the big picture and think of the horrible backlash they'd get in 2018 if they charged for that. It's a good business decision for the company and the health of the game.

Last edited:
It looks as if FD can make sufficient money from the shop: no legs, but selling more personal clothing; more fancy ship paint jobs; perhaps other kits similar to the Raider styles .... it all adds up when you purchase it over a year without noticing [money]

I sure got my money worth, so yes I'm "upset" that I could have got it for less. Still as I said, I think it's a good move to keep the existing player base in one place. Heck they should even gift Horizons to non-owners :)

I sure got my money worth, so yes I'm "upset" that I could have got it for less. Still as I said, I think it's a good move to keep the existing player base in one place. Heck they should even gift Horizons to non-owners :)

Do you get upset when games you bought for full price go on sale and demand a refund?

I think FDev are just in a really good position. Lots of paintjobs, ship kits and decals sold. Planet Coaster doing really well and now a 3rd game which should do even better due to the potential fanbase and popularity of "ze dinos"

For LEP owners, you took a risk. I really can't see how you'll be regretting it as most of the improvements for E:D are shaping up for more things down the line.

A lot of what was mentioned are improved core feature, so of course those should definitely be free.
I am a LEP owner too, but I want core features like exploration mechanics and mining to be maximum fun for everybody, so the game can thrive.

No doubt there will be new exclusive LEP content in the future too.
Braben said there was much more to come after 2018.

Even if I could get a refund, I don't want it. The only thing I really care about is that this game gets developed for years to come.

Last edited:
I'm glad they went with this model. I think the inclusion of Microtransactions and expanding to consoles gave FD more leeway in their budget, allowing them to not screw their consumers over with season passes on top of season passes.

People bash on Xbox 1 and PS4 players but we're helping to fund the future of Elite Dangerous too. :)

I'm glad they went with this model. I think the inclusion of Microtransactions and expanding to consoles gave FD more leeway in their budget, allowing them to not screw their consumers over with season passes on top of season passes.

People bash on Xbox 1 and PS4 players but we're helping to fund the future of Elite Dangerous too. :)

Yes, we should think of it as one massive CG ;)

I just hope that now they've spent the time on the ports they can actually put some effort into advancing the game for all of us.

The LEP is for long term. You get everything for Elite as long as they put it out. I'm wondering why you bought a long term investment when you obviously think short term. You are out of nothing save gratitude.
I'd buy your LEP at what you paid if it were possible.

No doubt there will be new exclusive LEP content in the future too.
No doubt at all.

Nah, obviously they'll charge for big ticket items like atmospheric worlds. It is a LIFETIME pass after all.

You can't charge for core features updates, people who have been yammering for them from the start need that stuff for free. Think about the big picture and think of the horrible backlash they'd get in 2018 if they charged for that.

True but development aint free and they are adding new content too. Its interesting they aren't charging directly and that will certainly go down well with peeps, and even make buying cosmetics seem more reasonable, which I suspect generates a fair bit of revenue.

Be useful to hear what FD has to say about the LEP. If they are moving away from further box sales for big ticket features and using cosmetics to purely fund things then it does render the LEP worthless. I doubt they would be that silly to upset so many people by doing that.

A sticky issue as the proposed changes for the upcoming year could be viewed as being core upgrades as opposed to new content. Would you be happy if LEP owners got a free, unique skin (or other fashion item) with each major revision until the next (content) expansion? That's the sort of achievable compromise I think you should be looking at here.

A sticky issue as the proposed changes for the upcoming year could be viewed as being core upgrades as opposed to new content. Would you be happy if LEP owners got a free, unique skin (or other fashion item) with each major revision until the next (content) expansion? That's the sort of achievable compromise I think you should be looking at here.

Yes, that's an excellent idea and should calm down a few of the folks enraged other people don't need to spend $30-45 next year.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom