"Beyond" free for Horizon owners - LEP musings

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Nah, obviously they'll charge for big ticket items like atmospheric worlds. It is a LIFETIME pass after all. You can't charge for core features updates, people who have been yammering for them from the start need that stuff for free. Think about the big picture and think of the horrible backlash they'd get in 2018 if they charged for that. It's a good business decision for the company and the health of the game.
Yes that's quite true. Thanks for helping me sort my feelings :) I'll rant again in 2019 !

A sticky issue as the proposed changes for the upcoming year could be viewed as being core upgrades as opposed to new content. Would you be happy if LEP owners got a free, unique skin (or other fashion item) with each major revision until the next (content) expansion? That's the sort of achievable compromise I think you should be looking at here.

I'd be happy with exclusive access to the Krait for all LEPs and original backers :D

It looks like great road-map but, as it seems to be mostly be about improving existing features, it makes sense that they are releasing it free of charge.

LEP owner here.

One thing to consider is that we all got the black skins for free. Other people paid for them when they were released. These had a value of over £80.

It does however extend the time before expansions provide a return on the investment of the LEP.

Bare in mind though that i believe legally Frontier have to announce any paid expansions to the "City" before they announce to fans. So it may be that something does come at the back end of next year. However it would not be announced till closer to the time.

Can you link to where it says all this stuff is gonna be free?

I haven't seen any official posts stating that.

Yeah but you don't know what's to come that you will get. I don't think LEP owners can complain until FD say, that's it, no more ED development.

I agree. I bought the LEP at the high price (think it was £130 after the discount for already owning season 1) and would only really be annoyed if there were no more paid expansions. Yes, I'm disappointed, and mildly frustrated, with the slower than expected rate of progress since 2.0, but certainly not at angry or hating stage.

I have a LEP, for me this is PR bridging release that sets more foundations for atmospheric planets. I have had value for money. Its been the best gaming experience since I started gaming in the eighties.

I bought the LEP back in beta days for 40 euro, I honestly can't complain about whatever release plans they have. Having bought it at that price does make it easier to justify the occasional skin/detail purchase though.

I haven't seen the livestream yet and I hope it comes on youtube soon, but from what I've seen the new planet reworks looks amazing and I'm looking forward to any further improvement to planetary landings.

As a kickstarter Founder member I'm used to the goalposts being moved - enjoy becoming one of "the forgotten" :D

I think FDev are just in a really good position. Lots of paintjobs, ship kits and decals sold. Planet Coaster doing really well and now a 3rd game which should do even better due to the potential fanbase and popularity of "ze dinos"

For LEP owners, you took a risk. I really can't see how you'll be regretting it as most of the improvements for E:D are shaping up for more things down the line.

I got my monies worth, and I'm a LEP owner, there will be other DLC's I think this is good, they are preparing for what's to come after 3.0

I think it's the right way to go ; the yearly season model just does dwindle the player base. Still I have a bitter taste i my mouth when I think of the 165€ I cashed in for the LEP, when I could have got Horizons and be good until Q4 2018 - at the very least. When I bought LEP in August 2015, the (10y)plan was one extension per year, and even then the added-value of the LEP was a gamble : it would be covered after about three extensions/seasons. Now we know that Horizons lasts for three years... FDev should really seriously consider some perks, or partial refunds by now.

Yeah, return on investment in case of 10 years of yearly paid expansions vs once every 3 years is non-existant, unless now they have 30 year plan for development of ED, kind of a bummer

I would be happy to pay more, if I would get what I expect.

For me the free contect looks like they can't achieve enough for a commercial update. Maybe the player community is way smaller than two years ago. Dunno

Last edited:
True but development aint free and they are adding new content too. Its interesting they aren't charging directly and that will certainly go down well with peeps, and even make buying cosmetics seem more reasonable, which I suspect generates a fair bit of revenue.

Be useful to hear what FD has to say about the LEP. If they are moving away from further box sales for big ticket features and using cosmetics to purely fund things then it does render the LEP worthless. I doubt they would be that silly to upset so many people by doing that.

I could see them throwing a shop credit out to LEP holders at some point as a goodwill gesture. It's minimum cost stuff for Fdev but has actual value to any player who was going to buy some stuff anyway.

I said in another thread it's obvious that the shop is being ramped up as an income source, we've gone from a new paint being a once every couple of months event to a paint and some holo-me item being a weekly release, I doubt that the reason they're using design resources on that stuff is because nobody is buying it. They did sell 10% of the company to Tencent after all, whose entire business model is microtransactions.

Last edited:
I just want to see FD address lifetime pass holders. When I bought mine, there were supposed to be annual paid expansions. That's what sold me on it. If I had known Horizons would last for 3 years (and considering previous delays, who's to say Beyond won't last 2 years instead of 1?), I might have just bought Horizons instead.

Right now it feels like a bait-and-switch, even though I'm sure they didn't intend for it to work out that way. Asking for a little official reassurance from FD is not asking too much.

Free? Wow! That was unexpected. Perhaps with all the new ships coming, FD feels that they can fund on-going development with paintjobs for the new ships.

I got my monies worth, and I'm a LEP owner, there will be other DLC's I think this is good, they are preparing for what's to come after 3.0

I'm trying to remember fully (I had to go out immediately as the Elite segment of the show ended)... Is Frontier officially calling this next year of updates "3.0"? I saw them call it "Beyond", but wasn't sure if this is actually presented as a new "expansion" or not.

What they showed today pleased me massively, getting some nice planet surface variations back in the game (which we used to have, anyway), finally getting missions (and group tools) to go with the Wings play, text-to-speech for Galnet. Plus a few ships and goodies that support what we have.

But with regard to value for LEP owners... Do players consider what they saw today a full $59 USD paid expansion worth?

I saw it all as an excellently aimed shot at filling in some remaining gaps in the Horizons package. And it's free, which kinda rings on that point.

Maybe just me, but I tend to think of a new $59 paid expansion as taking Elite somewhere new. Things like the much talked about atmospheric and Earth-like worlds, walking in and out of ships. All that kind of stuff that we see another competing product offering... maybe sometime in late 2018 to 2019? Frontier putting that new paid content expansion forward in step with the rest of the space-sim market (which I won't name) would seem to make great competitive sense.

Anyway, there's no really "correct" place to say it, so I'll put it here:
Thanks Frontier, what I saw presented today looks very welcome.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom