ED: Tips and tricks for new players

I'm new to this scene wondering if you guys had any advice I've been playing for about 2 days as of 10/9/17

There is lots of advice that could be given but I will leave you with the 6 second rule for now.
Whenever you are approaching something in space, as long as your timer remains 6 seconds or more you won't overshoot it.

The best tip I think I can give is, when interdicted, submit immediately by throttling down to zero and then, once you've submitted, all pips to engines and run away as fast as you can. Boost boost boost until your FSD is back online then jump back out of there.

This is assuming you're still in a small ship and unable to defend yourself.

If interdicted....submitting as described above dramatically reduces the 'Cool Down' timer on your FSD (Frame Shift Drive) which is the time taken before you can start the charging process to jump or enter Super Cruise again .

If doing the 'Brave Sir Robin' (Monty Python reference) i.e. leaving immediately .....

If you chargre your FSD to just re-enter supercruise in the same system or 'Low Wake' your FSD may be mass locked by the other ship which dramticaly increases the FSD charging time.

It is recommeded to select an alternate Star System to jump to. This is called a 'High Wake', and is NOT subject to your FSD being mass locked.

Be familiar with the 3 Modes of Play

Open - PvE (Player v's Environment) & PvP (Player v's Player) anything goes and you may find yourself sumarily destroyed by other player commanders in vastly more powerful ships than yours, particularly at high traffic areas such as Community Goals and Engineers Bases or other high profile areas, alien crash sites , mega ships etc.

Private Group - as the name sugests this is for a select group of people to play together you can create your own or join a group that shares your playstyle such as 'MobiusX EU' which is a dedicated PvE only group and a good place for getting to grips with the game in the early stages.

Solo - PvE mode where you are the only player .

All three modes share the same BGS (background simulation - the state and current economic conditions for all the star systems)

Before pledging to a Power to gain access to their special items do some research on what it will mean first.

Edit....

Can't believe I left out the golden rule......'Never Fly Without Re-Buy', (always have sufficient spare capital to pay for the insurance cost of getting your ship back if it's destroyed) we've all done it and regret it bitterly.

Last edited:
Develop a very careful habit of holding B and then using d-pad down to deploy landing gear. Err on the side of caution here; it's far to easy to get cocky and try to tap them both at the same time, only for the game to decide you *wanted* to boost inside a station :>

When (!) it happens, set full pips to shield, speed to zero, try to deploy the gear anyway (which provides drag) and enjoy the ride/rebuy!

Some will advise remembering to set full pips to shield each time you land, but I could never develop the discipline to do that.

D.

Last edited:

verminstar

Banned
Dont start using a docking computer and resign yerself to learning how to land without one. They are useful later on with larger ships when docking manually can be a major pita...my T9 constantly drags her but over the magnetic toaster rack...every, bloody, time. The point being, it takes time to learn how to fly and how to dock and a DC will handicap that learning process imo. Take the long way around and learn the basics without the DC crutch...most other stuff will fall into place once ye know how to fly, but if yer a below average pilot who uses DC all the time, the game will get harder fer ye over time.

And dont fly what ye cant afford to replace in any mode ^

When you are 10 mins from your destination (according to the countdown timer), reduce your speed to 50% and you will never overshoot the destination

Greetings,

I have only been playing seriously since the middle of August 2017 so the following come from bitter/pleasant experience...

- Add a heatsink to your ship, and setup a key combo to deploy it (I use B + LB, this saves having to have a fire group setting for it)
- When scooping a sun, you did remember to add a fuel scoop to the ship, roll the ship so the sun is above you, easier to judge distance from sun and thus control heat
- When interdicted, just try and follow the 'Escape Vector' this will avoid the interdiction and save you the trouble of getting back in to supercruise
- When landing on a planet, TAKE IT SLOW. Planets tend to have gravity.... some more than others...
- WAIT until you're docked at a station BEFORE going for a fresh cuppa/break etc... just because you've got 200,000 Ls to go and it's going to take 15 minutes does not mean it will be safe to leave the ship flying itself.

The games learning curve is steep, but believe me when I say it is worth the effort. I have played little else since I started playing and I've only played other games when the 2.4 update was released because I couldn't play Elite. I've clocked up over 800 hours and am currently working on the ranks for Federation and the Empire, there is loads of stuff to do it just depends what you want to do and in what order...

I'm new to this scene wondering if you guys had any advice I've been playing for about 2 days as of 10/9/17

Sure...

1. Complete all tutorials

2. Map your controls so everything works. When I first started, half the buttons wouldn't work because they hadn't been mapped yet. Though I believe this issue was a bug.

3. When landing on the pad in a station you must face a particular direction.

4. Don't be in a rush to get a new ship. The sidewinder you start with is free to replace if you explode. The other ships aren't free.

5. Start small and local. Get used to the game before venturing off to the great unknown.

6. When plotting a course in the galaxy map, the furthest you can plot is 20,000 light years. Longer journeys need to be plotted in stages.

7. Bookmark locations that you wish to visit again. It makes it easier to find and plot a course.

8. The Bubble is a term used to describe the main populated area of the galaxy. Beyond that is deep space and isolated colonies and stations.

9. Buy a fuel scoop. Running out of fuel means death, and the fuel scoop allows you to refuel from the corona of a star. Although not all stars can be scooped.

10. If you should run out of fuel, note your location and turn off the Xbox. Get in touch with the Fuel Rats and tell them where you are. Follow their guidance and advice.

Don't go anywhere near a combat zone. You will die, horribly.
Cz's are definitely for the more experienced commander.

If you do decide to go to one remember to pick a side before shooting (find it on your right info panel). Otherwise both sides will attack you.

Last edited:
If you need to make money initially get a ship that allows for passenger options. (You can buy a passenger pod or module) and take some transport missions and sight seeing missions under 1,000 ly

Once you get some credits then look at websites to understand what ships and play styles you may be drawn too

Its o k to have three or more different ships for seperate gameplay
ALWAYS have enough to cover insurance in the event you mess up

early ship suggestions in order:
Hauler
Cobra
Dolphin

Last edited:
Community goals where you're simply delivering commodities (as opposed to the bounty hunting or combat bonds ones) is a good way of making money but you might want to stick to solo for that.

If nothing else, all those human players in one instance (at a starport) slows things down and you have to be more careful about who you're flying into in the mail slot.

Thanks guys

I'm currently in a viper mk IV I just wanted a more beefy fighter than the sidewinder I have an Adder that is in storage equipped with all the decent mining equipment but I tried it.... not a fan I'm staying relatively close to Sol in Rakapila. How long would you commanders say getting a Sol permit would take? Wanna go see that beautiful terraformed mars

Tourism doesn't sound too bad I've already been to Hutton station in Alpha Centauri

I'm currently in a viper mk IV I just wanted a more beefy fighter than the sidewinder I have an Adder that is in storage equipped with all the decent mining equipment but I tried it.... not a fan I'm staying relatively close to Sol in Rakapila. How long would you commanders say getting a Sol permit would take? Wanna go see that beautiful terraformed mars

Tourism doesn't sound too bad I've already been to Hutton station in Alpha Centauri

Let me first say welcome to Elite Dangerous, if this turns out to be your game then from now on you'll gradually lose all sense of the real world, it's addictive.

If you're into missions from the board, regular or passenger, get yourself allied to a couple factions, the payouts will be much better.
When you go bountyhunting is Resource sites pick High or Low first, security forces will attack wanted men there, join in and the bounty is yours.
Hazardous Resource Sites generally don't have security forces so you'renon your own there.
Pick your targets carefully, as long as you don't have any cargo no pirate will attack you in a Res site.

The Viper mk4 is a beefy ship toss on some hull reinforcement packages some small lasers and medium multicanons and you got a great little fighter.

Use this site to try several ship builds, you get a nice overview of your ship's specs and costs.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/

Fly save commander o7

If you want better paying missions than the ones that seem immediately available at any given location, then try working for one station for a bit.

The more missions you successfully complete for a particular group or company (their name will appear in the top right part of the screen in the mission board so pick one you like the sound of) the more they will trust you and the more they will offer.

Some of them will be affiliated with one of the main super powers such as Federation, Empire or Alliance but I wouldn't worry about this too much for now.

Available missions will show 'REP' in their description and this is how much REPutation the mission carries. The more +'s after REP, the quicker you will increase your 'faction reputation' to unlock more missions.

You're basically freelancing for them, and they won't be trusting you to delivery their brand new Ferrari until you have proved you can drive the van without scratching it :)

When you are 10 mins from your destination (according to the countdown timer), reduce your speed to 50% and you will never overshoot the destination

Not sure you meant 10 mins ... I think you meant 0:06 (or 0:07 if you're being cautious) ... i.e. 7 seconds. If you reduce your speed to 50% at 10:00 you're gonna have a looooong wait before you get to the station.

Top Bottom