96 hours to locate a base...? SHENANIGANS!!!!

NecoMachina

N
Or someone naughty looked inside the game files to get the information in the way that it's not supposed to be obtained. Also known a cheating.

Why blame the developer straight away?
Because the devs have shown favoritism on occasion. Not saying it was them this time - seems the guy who gave the original tip-off based on "intuition" was kicked out of Canonn some time ago for looking inside game files. So it would seem that's probably what it was in this case as well. But I can't blame anyone for thinking the devs tipped someone off - especially with it happening so soon after FX17 and with a narrative timeline to adhere to, but no proper tools to find the things in-game yet.

No unfortunately the sky box cop out is just that.
You need 6 fixed points in space in order to find something in three dimensions. You also have to know the distances involved or the relative position of the origin. None of that was provided.

The only way it could be represented in ED is if you fly way outside of the system to get the clearest view with no light interference. Then they would have to give the players a 360 degree field of view in order to find those 6 points. You would also need to know how bright their points of references should be based upon distances. of which I know FDEV has said is not accurate. Since that is the case, then in that 360 degree view the person would have to select a star and get the distance to said star for each of the 6 points. Otherwise it doesnt work.

Using the stars to navigate the ocean works because the earth is a known point in space. The origin and destination is always on the same relative plane. That is not the case with astro navigation. Hence why its not a viable or believable way to find anything in space using a 2D flat video of stars. So as soon as you hear someone say that to you, then you can pretty much guarantee they are trying to deceive you.

You can find the coordinates for a point in space given four distances to other known points that aren't all on the same plane (trilateration). Due to the implementation of the galaxy in ED you often only need three (three normally gives two candidate sets of coordinates but because coordinates in ED fall on a grid with 1/32 Ly resolution you can often eliminate a candidate). This is how we did mapping of the galaxy before the log files included coordinates.

But that's not what people are doing when locating things via images of the skybox. They're more or less using parallax between nebulae and between stars in recognised constellations. As a simple example, if you have an image that shows the Pleiades nebula on top of (in front of) Barnard's Loop then the image must have been taken from a point somewhere along a line between those two objects. By comparing the relative sizes of the two objects you may be able to narrow down the location to a fairly small volume of space. Then fly out there are do image comparisons in different systems until you find the right one. This is how the first Guardians ruin was found, though the discoverer also took advantage of the unusual closeness of the planets that could be seen in the trailer. There is nothing suspect about that case. Later Guardian ruins were found be noticing that the pause when leaving supercruise was longer if there was a ruin present. This allowed people to search planets much more quickly. A legit and clever, if unintended and somewhat unsatisfying, technique.

In this case the INRA base could not have been found via matching the skybox because the skybox at the base that has been found does not match the skybox in the trailer. I spent an hour checking very carefully.

Last edited:

NecoMachina

N
Same dude who found the scout found the planet with the base?

Sounds like someone at FD is feeding him info. Nice job.
That is a baseless accusation that I would suggest you reconsider.
In *this* particular case, I don't believe that is true. I'm pretty sure it was looking into the files, as the guy that had the initial "intuition" was reportedly kicked out of Canonn for digging thru the gamefiles.

That being said, FDEV have shown instances of favoritism before, so it's not a totally unreasonable assumption.

NecoMachina

N
Not to be a buzzkill here but why were we ever supposed to assume impartiality in the first place? They're not the Supreme Court they're a videogame company telling a story about flying saucers being eaten by mushrooms. If every accusation leveled at them were true, how big of a deal would it actually be? Incidentally that's why I'm not particularly skittish about assuming that some of these accusations *are* true; because if it turns out that someone at Frontier told a YouTube streamer or a player group leader about where to find a cool thing in their game, well yes it's certainly kinda lame and fully appropriate to Call Shenanigans, but is even really a scandal?
I agree, it's not really a "scandal" per se. But it is kind of taking a dump on the rest of your playerbase.

NecoMachina

N
Having had to sign a pile of NDA's thicker than a phone book(almost) to be allowed in to frontier towers, those NDA's being binding even after what I was shown is out in the open, and knowing how seriously Fdev take keeping things secret I fail to see the motivation in leaking that info by frontier, they don't gain anything by doing so and whoever did it would no doubt be in trouble.

Occam's razor would point somewhere else other than Frontier having a leak.
True. Unless they had a narrative currently happening that they were trying to move along in a timely manner...

In *this* particular case, I don't believe that is true. I'm pretty sure it was looking into the files, as the guy that had the initial "intuition" was reportedly kicked out of Canonn for digging thru the gamefiles.

That being said, FDEV have shown instances of favoritism before, so it's not a totally unreasonable assumption.

On my phone so can't get the links. But part of the suspicions here is one of the guys who found INRA said in the original thread that he only found the base, and CJ found the planet. But then on reddit his story changed. And he claimed CJ was only helping. It's just weird.

NecoMachina

N
OP: Yes, its like FD are saying, Mission successful - somebody found it!

But from our (the players) point of view, the chances of being that somebody are astronomical.

I appreciate not everybody can "rescue the princess" but while FD may love it, reading about somebody else's success in Galnet doesn't really do it for me - it needs to be more personal - for me at least.
I actually agree with this. I get that there can only be one "first", but it leaves the entire rest of your playerbase twiddling their thumbs and watching on Youtube. I get that there are challenges to making narrative tailored to every individual in a MMO like this, but SWTOR managed to pull it off, and I think FDEV is capable of something better than what we have now.

On my phone so can't get the links. But part of the suspicions here is one of the guys who found INRA said in the original thread that he only found the base, and CJ found the planet. But then on reddit his story changed. And he claimed CJ was only helping. It's just weird.

Ok, kicked my kid off minecraft.

Here's his statement on the forums here:
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/383412-INRA-is-ingame?p=6011447&viewfull=1#post6011447

And on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDange...lanetary_base_found_on_hermitage_4_a/do5i7g7/

This is why we're suspicious. Isn't adding up. I dunno.

Last edited:
Given the dearth of game mechanics to search for these things in an engaging and satisfying way I'm not too fussed how it was done, as I'll only hear of it from external media anyway. If it was data mining or indiscreet hints, it isn't particularly a good thing for the game or the players, but it shows that we need more in the way of gameplay. Hopefully the Beyond series will cover this in some way as I think this shows it is sorely needed.

Yeah, these posts truly explain this situation huh?

lol.

:)

lol basically. I just wanted to know if there were clues we were missing, number stations, encrypted news reports. Something, anything. And all we got from these guys was silence from one, contradictory statements from the others and a lot of talk about fan fiction and blah blah blah.

I refuse to believe they found this by having a hunch and diving down into a planet and poof, there it was. Just, no.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
There's certainly something fishy about it. I still don't believe FDEV would leak the info to anyone.

Yes, if there is something fishy (cannot read reddit at work, and not really feel like passing judgement)

Then Id be more inclined to believe data mining or such.

Wouldn't be the first time in the Mysterious people have information they didn't explain where it came from then when the object was found in game it didn't match the teasers the people who claimed they had found it before had.

* Jaques station goes missing. Everyone is wondering where it might be. A lone explorer finds it 21k lightyears away... Huh. Wow, that's pretty dang cool.
- Already been said... player had filters set so government allegience would display. When they spotted a system marked "Independent" 21kLY away, they checked it out, and it was Jacques.
* There are capital ships in the game. Oh, here is how I found them.... Huh. That's cool. Um... ok.
- They appear on navigation when 1,000Ls away. Also, there were breadcrumbs at unregistered comms beacons which, in hindsight, can fairly easily lead to some of the ships that are, say, 20,000Ls out of the system.

* Alien probes, planetary barnacles, unknown artifacts... Huh. That's... odd. How did you locate... nevermind, I wanna go see 'em too.
- Unknown Artefacts (Thargoid Sensors) were located in USS with NPC convoys carrying them and "specific" conversations between the NPCs. When one was seized, it was noted to be pointing at the Merope system. This led to the eventual discovery of the UA "shell" around the Pleiades just through force of having so many people in the region.

Unknown Probes were discovered in the same way.... in a convoy, then someone just happened to get a USS spawn when scanning an Ammonia world in the Pleiades. (Ammonia Worlds something something Thargoids).

Barnacles, after appearing in the trailer, were hunted quite vigilantly by a lot of people in the Merope system, since the UA points to the Merope star, and the UP points to Merope 5C. Eventually one was found, but in Pleione rather than Merope, during some canyon flying (It would later be found barnacles prefer canyons). Shortly after a discovery in Merope 5C occurred, unsurprisingly, in a canyon.

* Thargoids are coming. You can get a really cool, really scary cutscene if you go to THIS area of space while carrying THIS specific item on board. Huh... now just how in the blue blazes did you know... you know what, I'm sold. I wanna do that too.
- Fixed that for you. Your cargo contents have no bearing on whether or not you get hyperdicted. Devs have confirmed this multiple times. It's mostly just random

* Less than 96 hours after seeing an old Inara INRA Base for less than 2 seconds in an already busy trailer, said base is found.
-
People who found it claim to have referred to an old FFE article which helped pinpoint the right area. It was also found before the POI bug got hotfixed, so if they aren't telling the truth, that's how, since that's also how the barnacle forest got found.

Last edited:
Top Bottom