Couldn't we at least have gotten a vote about the future of Elite?

Im just saying, that Im willing to pay for a good Space Legs. Meaning the interiors of all the ships, bases, and stations (to a realistic point) with things to do aside from just walk around.
It honestly feels like that frontier is just hanging up the coat on this game with these "free" updates, or the rest of our content that we paid for.

Eh no.

True dat.

"I'm bored and don't want to play, so I'll make everyone else's existences miserable!!!!!!"

Don't be so hard on them, after all they have all done everything in the game, we know that because they keep on telling us. And they are on a different level to us mere mortals, most sane people once they get bored with a game move onto something else without any regrets or bitterness. Although I do suspect one or two here are still bitter that DB never sought their extensive knowledge and asked them for permission before doing anything to the game.

Im just saying, that Im willing to pay for a good Space Legs. Meaning the interiors of all the ships, bases, and stations (to a realistic point) with things to do aside from just walk around.
It honestly feels like that frontier is just hanging up the coat on this game with these "free" updates, or the rest of our content that we paid for.

It should be abundantly clear by now, that this isn’t a democracy. Frontier’s focus is elsewhere. And will be for some time. There is nothing to vote for, given it’s not even on the roadmap. I am sorry. :/

It should be abundantly clear by now, that this isn’t a democracy. Frontier’s focus is elsewhere. And will be for some time. There is nothing to vote for, given it’s not even on the roadmap. I am sorry. :/

If Frontier doesn't add some basic space legs in 2018 or early 2019, then many people's focus will be elsewhere with other space sims.

Ian Phillips

Volunteer Moderator
If Frontier doesn't add some basic space legs in 2018 or early 2019, then many people's focus will be elsewhere with other space sims.

You don't really seem to have understood the message from FD about 2018. No space legs. No atmospheric landings.

Despite your repeated comments and threads, this does actually mean what it says. No space legs. No atmospheric landings.

Yes it is imperative that a game set in space, flying spaceships at greater than the speed of light has the ability for the player to walk around and look at trees .....

If you think about it, we don't need 'feet' to be able to walk on a planet, even when we get atmospheric landings. We can already be at ground level and move around in the SRV's, the ONLY difference will be your point of view will probably be a bit closer to the ground. For those wanting to walk around their ship, yeah good, how often will that be a thing to do (except those who will insist on taking 100's of selfies and posting them to the forums).

As for your standard 'doom and gloom' line that there will be a max exodus to the game that won't be named, of course there will be. It will be a new game, those that enjoyed ED will try that game out as well, the same as they did for NMS. Will they stay with the new game, depends if it is ever finished, which at this stage is somewhat debatable isn't it.

I just don't understand this restrictive mentality that only 1 space based game can exist. WOW didn't sound the death kneel for every other MMO, Activision didn't shelve the CoD franchise because EA/DiCE released the Battlefield series but for some reason people here think that there can only be ONE space game!

I'm still fairly new to these forums, and I mostly hang around the newcomer section. But I'm really enjoying all the posts saying 'this game that I've put thousands of hours into is so boring'. Sounds like you've absolutely hated it. For thousands of hours, that you voluntarily chose to spend playing.

I'm still fairly new to these forums, and I mostly hang around the newcomer section. But I'm really enjoying all the posts saying 'this game that I've put thousands of hours into is so boring'. Sounds like you've absolutely hated it. For thousands of hours, that you voluntarily chose to spend playing.

LOL and Rep'd

The first thing you will notice about this forum that all forms of logic and common sense have been banned or at minimum, strongly discouraged :D

Yes it is imperative that a game set in space, flying spaceships at greater than the speed of light has the ability for the player to walk around and look at trees .....

Yes it is imperative, because we've been flying around for the last 3 years, staring at the same uncustomizable HUD which is the same in every ship. Braben said his original vision for Elite is that we're people in a real futuristic setting, not just a ship.

Do you know how boring Mass Effect would be if we could only sit in a chair and stare out a window in the cockpit of the Normandy?

If you think about it, we don't need 'feet' to be able to walk on a planet, even when we get atmospheric landings. We can already be at ground level and move around in the SRV's, the ONLY difference will be your point of view will probably be a bit closer to the ground.

The first person view is a major factor, it really changes the way people experience the galaxy. Because it gives a proper sense of scale. First person gameplay is more personal than sitting in an SRV or looking over your shoulder in a cockpit towards other players.

For those wanting to walk around their ship, yeah good, how often will that be a thing to do (except those who will insist on taking 100's of selfies and posting them to the forums)

How often does a player walk around in Mass Effect? If they can't imagine meaningful gameplay they only need to look at Mass Effect and other scifi games with EVA. Mass Effect received more awards and higher ratings and sold millions more copies. Mass Effect 1 and 2 sold more than 7 million copies. Elite Dangerous won't come close to that without EVA.

As for your standard 'doom and gloom' line that there will be a max exodus to the game that won't be named, of course there will be. It will be a new game, those that enjoyed ED will try that game out as well, the same as they did for NMS.

Thing is of the 2.7 million copies sold of Elite Dangerous... only a small fraction are still active players. That's why 2018 is focussed on improving the core game and better meaningful multiplayer (wing missions, squadrons, fleet carrier) etc. Otherwise the remaining player base (and source of income for Frontier) will leave as well when the next space sim appears that will challenge ED. ED will have more difficulty to retain those players if doesn't have atmospheric landings, space legs etc.

Will they stay with the new game, depends if it is ever finished, which at this stage is somewhat debatable isn't it.

There are more space sims on the horizon. There's X4: Foundations which will include space legs from the get-go plus the management style features which have been lacking in ED since launch. Dual Universe has a deeper player driven sandbox where people can build all sorts of things. Infinity Battlescape (has player controlled capital ships, large planetary structures, atmospheric planets).

So I don't want to sound like Nostradamus, but Frontier has to add something major, something huge and jaw dropping if it wants to retain its leading position, retain and expand the player base.

I just don't understand this restrictive mentality that only 1 space based game can exist. WOW didn't sound the death kneel for every other MMO, Activision didn't shelve the CoD franchise because EA/DiCE released the Battlefield series but for some reason people here think that there can only be ONE space game!

Sure multiple games can exist in the same genre. It's about retaining and expanding the player base and that ED doesn't face a massive decline in the near future when those other games move into the same market space.

Last edited:

I'm completely fine with that. A lot of people that actually want to play another game, are currently playing Elite and constantly complain why not everything is Elite is like in other space games.
Just because there are other space games being developed with different concepts doesn't mean ED should implement everything they come up with.

My vote for space legs: No. Unnecessary waste of resources.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: NW3

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator

LOL and Rep'd

The first thing you will notice about this forum that all forms of logic and common sense have been banned or at minimum, strongly discouraged :D

Two truly beautiful messages straight after each other. I'm half tempted to close the thread now :D

Only joking...

I don't think a vote is needed. I'm sure that FD pay some attention to what's being said on the forums, how it's being said, and how often it's being said as well.

They've probably got a "future improvement list" as long as your arm from reading these forums, and the only question is what first - the answer to which is probably dependant on whether you need to have A or B or C in place before you can even think about doing D. Put another way... you need atmo-landings before space legs, else everyone would moan about being able to walk on space stations but not on planets.

Space legs and atmo-landings are probably in there somewhere, but is it the most important and necessary next upgrade? Probably not. Personally, I'm quite happy without it, and I'm looking forward much more to the core improvements coming next year than I am towards space legs. Obviously, there are those who want space legs or something else as a top priority.

Last edited:

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Thing is of the 2.7 million copies sold of Elite Dangerous... only a small fraction are still active players.

Got the figures for that?

Do you know how boring Mass Effect

The first person view is a major factor

How often does a player walk around in Mass Effect?

There are more space sims on the horizon. There's X4: Foundations which will include space legs from the get-go plus the management style features which have been lacking in ED since launch. Dual Universe has a deeper player driven sandbox where people can build all sorts of things. Infinity Battlescape (has player controlled capital ships, large planetary structures, atmospheric planets).

And despite listing that those games Frontier have to watch out for all do only a couple of those things, you think Elite should do them all.

I don't think a vote is needed. I'm sure that FD pay some attention to what's being said on the forums, how it's being said, and how often it's being said as well.

Probably, otherwise I wouldn't bother to comment on the forums.

They've probably got a "future improvement list" as long as your arm from reading these forums, and the only question is what first - the answer to which is probably dependant on whether you need to have A or B or C in place before you can even think about doing D. Put another way... you need atmo-landings before space legs, else everyone would moan about being able to walk on space stations but not on planets.

We don't need atmospheric landings before space legs. Does an astronaut in the ISS need to be able to land on Mars before being able to walk or move inside the ISS?

There's enough interesting EVA gameplay for inside and around a ship.

Yes see here. As of August 2017 over 2.75 million copies were sold

And despite listing that those games Frontier have to watch out for all do only a couple of those things, you think Elite should do them all.

They don't need to add everything of those other games. If you read my previous comments, I would gladly have a basic version of space legs. Such as just walk around in a few sections of a ship, some tools like a laser gun, maybe exploration equipment.

First person shooter games like Counterstrike are pretty simplistic, yet played by millions of people many years after release. Somehow those games were able to not only sell millions of copies, but also retain an active player base with millions of people worldwide.

Frontier's major challenge is not selling copies of ED, but to retain and bring back most of the players who stopped playing (many stopped after a few hours or days).

Last edited:

Not a vote as such but everyone had their chance to be heard with the DDF group. Imo FD need to implement more of that before asking for extra feedback

Short answer - We don't, shouldn't and didn't get a vote because our text here is not orange. We are the customers not the developers, we can influence by way of feedback and at worst protest/boycott as we've seen in other gaming events very recently. We cannot demand/dictate or anything else as at the end of the day its Frontier that is the developer despite what many on here seem to think. Besides for something as big as you are suggesting work would have needed to start 6-8 months ago, Horizons releasing December was started in Feb/March the year before!

As for "hanging up the coat" there have been people saying this since before launch that it had a timeline of less than 6 months. Were now 3 years later and frankly I don't believe it. I'd bet you my account and everything in it we are here in a years time discussing the 2019 updates.

Last edited:
We don't need atmospheric landings before space legs. Does an astronaut in the ISS need to be able to land on Mars before being able to walk or move inside the ISS?

There's enough interesting EVA gameplay for inside and around a ship.

I think you know as well as I do that it'll take a matter of weeks, if not days, after space legs arrive, before people come on here complaining about not being able to walk on planets. Or that simply being able to go EVA around their ship is boring, and "where's the content" to go with it.

Excuse me, remember my comment about logic and common sense here .... skirting pretty close to the line here! :D

Personally I would prefer FD concentrates on have ED do what it is best at, allowing a player to fly a space ship however you damn well want. For those that it is a game breaker if ED doesn't have every aspect of all other games included, well so be it, play those, I am sure they will be happier than they are now. I wasn't around the forums (or playing any game for that matter) when NMS came out, that has FPS, atmospheric landings, well everything some here have been demanding of ED, so tell me, how did that go?

I think you know as well as I do that it'll take a matter of weeks, if not days, after space legs arrive, before people come on here complaining about not being able to walk on planets. Or that simply being able to go EVA around their ship is boring, and "where's the content" to go with it.

Of course people want more. It'll bring back inactive players and sell more copies to people who've been waiting for EVA in ED. Then Frontier can tell those people that more EVA features are underway in a couple of months. Just like how Holo-me has been improved over-time.

Holo-me wasn't added merely to look at a custom player character in a pilot seat. Holo-me and telepresence are the foundation for space legs.

I wasn't around the forums (or playing any game for that matter) when NMS came out, that has FPS, atmospheric landings, well everything some here have been demanding of ED, so tell me, how did that go?

NMS has other issues which derailed its full potential. I hope ED can survive and realize its full potential amidst the upcoming competition. Make Braben's original vision for Elite come true. We're more than just a ship.

Last edited:
Yes it is imperative, because we've been flying around for the last 3 years, staring at the same uncustomizable HUD which is the same in every ship. Braben said his original vision for Elite is that we're people in a real futuristic setting, not just a ship.

Do you know how boring Mass Effect would be if we could only sit in a chair and stare out a window in the cockpit of the Normandy?

The first person view is a major factor, it really changes the way people experience the galaxy. Because it gives a proper sense of scale. First person gameplay is more personal than sitting in an SRV or looking over your shoulder in a cockpit towards other players.

How often does a player walk around in Mass Effect? If they can't imagine meaningful gameplay they only need to look at Mass Effect and other scifi games with EVA. Mass Effect received more awards and higher ratings and sold millions more copies. Mass Effect 1 and 2 sold more than 7 million copies. Elite Dangerous won't come close to that without EVA.

Thing is of the 2.7 million copies sold of Elite Dangerous... only a small fraction are still active players. That's why 2018 is focussed on improving the core game and better meaningful multiplayer (wing missions, squadrons, fleet carrier) etc. Otherwise the remaining player base (and source of income for Frontier) will leave as well when the next space sim appears that will challenge ED. ED will have more difficulty to retain those players if doesn't have atmospheric landings, space legs etc.

So I don't want to sound like Nostradamus, but Frontier has to add something major, something huge and jaw dropping if it wants to retain its leading position, retain and expand the player base.

Sure multiple games can exist in the same genre. It's about retaining and expanding the player base and that ED doesn't face a massive decline in the near future when those other games move into the same market space.

To be honest, if people who want space legs go to a different game, that's great, it leaves us who want to fly spaceships, in ya know, a spaceship game. Enjoy your game that doesn't know what it is and does two genres badly instead of one well. :)

I am absolutely confident that if the community voted on what should come next, space legs vs core improvements vs atmo landings, core improvements and atmo landings would win by a LANDSLIDE. It concerns me GREATLY that I believe that you and people like you pushing for space legs are the ones that will actually get FD to add one crap and not needed feature too many and finally ruin the game, making it even more chaotic and identity-less.

As for Commander Lord Sir Braben's vision, he also said that pvp would be rare and meaningful, and that would have been easier to implement than space legs. lol

Everything that's great about this game is about flying in apce, the flight model is a work of GREAT STUPEFYING GENIUS, it is! And the way the weapon stats have been implemented and designed, hardpoints, energy usage, it's all statistician minmaxer's wet dream, and that's a RARE thing in space games. Elite doesn't FEEL like I should be walking about. I don't see ANYONE ELSE IN THE GALAXY walking about. It doesn't fit with how Elite went and I honeslty think it would be a mistake to try and tack it on now, regardless of original intent.

Last edited:
Top Bottom