INRA Base Discoveries

Sadly there is no way to even guess the range - so really, just go for a number you like the sound of and work on that :)

Reasoning:

The 7ly limit is a myth (it's not a limit present in ED Lore, it's based solely on Elite). We have zero info on "old" hyperdrive jump ranges as relating to ED Lore other than the FSD (from contextual assumption) jumps further than the Quirium drive. Thatchinho did a pretty cool experiment and proved that "in the past" Hyperdrive ranges did exceed 7ly even in the earliest days of hyperdrive travel: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-Discussions?p=6159264&viewfull=1#post6159264

There's also no telling what modifications, upgrades or experimental drive systems JJ was using - we know that the Pleiades was well outside human space, so it's possible that he was chosen in part for having a long-range hyperdrive - we just don't know.

You can make assumptions and educated guesses though, so 17ly or less is a good place to start.

So here's an interesting theory;-

What was the jump range of Jameson's Cobra MkIII? if we assume the modern limit of 17ly (or even 7ly in the original game), shouldn't that mean there will be wreckage of a Hive ship within that range? Now I know that people would say he had fuel scoops but if you make the assumption that INRA's sabotage only hit after he jumped away from the Hive Ship's location, then logically he's only one jump away from the now dead hive ship. Are there any Thargoid bases near his crashed cobra and if so, could we also assume that these thatrgoid bases are not bases but crashed hive ships (which would explain the scavengers)?

Also worth noting the maximum jump range of a Cobra MkIII in FE2/FFE was 27 LY with a military drive fitted.

Also worth noting the maximum jump range of a Cobra MkIII in FE2/FFE was 27 LY with a military drive fitted.

I think JJ's Cobra is supposed to be an Elite era MK3, not a FE2/FFE model.

In Elite the jump range was limited by fuel only. Full tank gave 7ly, half a tank gave 3.5ly. We do not have any indication on how far you could jump, if you fitted a bigger tank. The limitation of the drive is unknown.

The Elite Wiki on the Cobra MK3 shows an upgraded max jump distance of 28.5 LY.

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Cobra_MkIII

I would guess that his ship malfunctioned after 1 jump. (If you were INRA why give him the chance to get any closer to occupied space.)

I think we would be looking at maximum baseline, but I suppose 28ly isn't too bad either.
That's the current generation, E: D Cobra.
Which Jameson's clearly isn't.

In Elite the jump range was limited by fuel only. Full tank gave 7ly, half a tank gave 3.5ly. We do not have any indication on how far you could jump, if you fitted a bigger tank. The limitation of the drive is unknown.
I agree with Han_Zen here.

That's the current generation, E: D Cobra.
Which Jameson's clearly isn't.

I know it isn't, but we do know FSD has a longer range than Quirium drives. Because of that, we should take either the maximum baseline jump, or the maximum engineered jump of a Mk3, and check systems within that area.

By using the FSD jump area, we can ensure we don't miss any potential Quirium jump systems.

Last edited:

I'm a bit confused why the Elite timeframe makes more sense? The mycoid/vaccine storyline was completely in FFE and not in Elite.

I'm a bit confused why the Elite timeframe makes more sense? The mycoid/vaccine storyline was completely in FFE and not in Elite.

The mycoid story was in FFE, but it was told in past tense. No one knew what happened to the Thargoids, until Dr. Innitu pointed the finger at INRA. It's clear that the mycoid attack(s) happened some time between Elite(3125) and FE2(3200).

From what we have learned from the GCS Sarasvati log in ED, we can probably say it happened close to 3150.

The Vaccine story runs in 'real time' in FFE(3250-), but that is when things get fuzzy. We don't know if the vaccine was delivered, if the mycoid attack on Miackce happened or if both these missions failed.

Route plotting from Lave to 12 Trianguli and HIP 12099 fails with a 7.51 ly jump range so I think we can pretty much say for sure that Jameson's Cobra wasn't a 7ly jump range version.

Edit - Minimum jump range needed to be able to route plot to both systems from Lave is somewhere between 9.06 (fails) and 9.21 (succeeds).

Last edited:
Obsidian Ant released a video on the 27th in which he claims: "this particular Commander Jameson is connected to Frontier First Encounters, which is Elite 3.... we now do have the official records and they were found in the logs of the crashed Cobra."

About 2 mins in:

https://youtu.be/XoV3BRyeSbk

I don't think this fits with what else we know - since the war ended in 3150-ish and the logs from JJ-386 seem to detail the end of the war.

However - it's worth being aware that OA's video is likely making a lot of people confused.

Obsidian Ant released a video on the 27th in which he claims: "this particular Commander Jameson is connected to Frontier First Encounters, which is Elite 3.... we now do have the official records and they were found in the logs of the crashed Cobra."

About 2 mins in:

https://youtu.be/XoV3BRyeSbk

I don't think this fits with what else we know - since the war ended in 3150-ish and the logs from JJ-386 seem to detail the end of the war.

However - it's worth being aware that OA's video is likely making a lot of people confused.

He has probably got it mixed up with J. Jameson Jr., the character we played in FE2. :)

Honestly - and I may be in the minority - I'm confused no matter what, as far as this story goes. This game is my introduction into the Elite lore and I'm very much at a loss as to the timeline and who did what and why they went where with which ship and how far. It's all a bit much to catch up. And apparently there's books? Yikes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Ant's videos are confusing anyone any more than the sheer volume of information that's in this thread alone.

And while we're at it, is Jameson Memorial named for the same Jameson whose Cobra we found crashed?

Last edited:
Honestly - and I may be in the minority - I'm confused no matter what, as far as this story goes. This game is my introduction into the Elite lore and I'm very much at a loss as to the timeline and who did what and why they went where with which ship and how far. It's all a bit much to catch up. And apparently there's books? Yikes. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't think Ant's videos are confusing anyone any more than the sheer volume of information that's in this thread alone.

And while we're at it, is Jameson Memorial named for the same Jameson whose Cobra we found crashed?

From the tourist beacon (which talks about how Peter Jameson was the first pilot to reach Elite status) I would guess the station is a memorial to him. However, that's speculation as there's no facts.

As for the rest, yes it's a bit crazy! Let's hope next year's Codex updates that were mentioned at FX17 will help to streamline the storytelling aspects.

From the tourist beacon (which talks about how Peter Jameson was the first pilot to reach Elite status) I would guess the station is a memorial to him. However, that's speculation as there's no facts.

There's a tourist beacon at Jameson? Huh. Didn't know that. Only ever been twice, I think.

Anyhow....back on topic.

For the life of me can't find base 10.

It also doesn't help that it's pitch black, the sun is just on the horizon.

Are the coordinates correct?

Coords are correct. The base is located in the middle of a large crater with several POIs on the way, partly tucked away behind rocky cliffs. Just fly to the middle of the crater and then use Eyeball Mk. I.

HTH,
[noob]

Coords are correct. The base is located in the middle of a large crater with several POIs on the way, partly tucked away behind rocky cliffs. Just fly to the middle of the crater and then use Eyeball Mk. I.

HTH,
[noob]

Found it.
Coords are correct but inexact on the first post, maybe some numbers have gone missing.

Should be -51.57 130.66

The last 6 is missing, thus I assumes it is 130.60, which is a few km away.
Makes a difference in cases like this (unedited photo):

CGe3jH5.jpg

Very hard to spot the base even when you just land next to it, lol. :)

From what we are told in FFE

During the Elite Era there is the conflict with the Thargoid
Then they just disappear, however this disappearance is due to INRA delivering the Mycoid, which is the story we are seeing with Cmdr Jamieson and his Cobra.
So this seems to be confirmed.

In FFE you can be hired to go and fine out what happened to Argents Quest and the Thargoids.
You then have the option of carrying new and improved mycoid to the Thargoids for the INRA or carrying a vaccine to the Mycoids to cure the Thargoids.

This second part remains unknown as to what happening in the E|D time line if it even happened at all, or is just the topic of popular Dreamware adventure sims

This is where the Alliance is working for/with the Thargoids comes from as it was the founders of the Alliance that back you in the "carrying a vaccine to the Mycoids to cure the Thargoids" path which ultimate reward is a Thargoid ship of your own.
But there is no basis for this as we dont know what happened in the FFE time frame in the E|D canon timeline.

Top Bottom