General / Off-Topic What are you reading currently?

I still say that Magician should be turned into a TV series. It's a superb book, even if bits of it do rather borrow from Tolkien (elves, dwarves, abandoned mines containing something nasty, etc). Give it Game of Thrones production values and you've got an instant hit.

Ok so to send this thread on to a tangent if your talking books that would make great movies or series then yes the fiest books would be top contenders but I’ve always believed David gemmell’s Book LEGEND is perfect for the big screen

Currently reading 'What If?' by Randall Munroe (the guy that does XKCD)
It is very silly but very interesting at the same time.

Im also halfway through 'Patriot Games' by Tom Clancy, which so far is a very good read

ive got the entire series of Clancy books on my shelves not a bad one in the lot

Last edited:
Ok so to send this thread on to a tangent if your talking books that would make great movies or series then yes the fiest books would be top contenders but I’ve always believed David gemmell’s Book LEGEND is perfect for the big screen

I don’t think there are many of his books that wouldn’t make great films, frankly. “Wolf In Shadow” would be superb.

I still say that Magician should be turned into a TV series. It's a superb book, even if bits of it do rather borrow from Tolkien (elves, dwarves, abandoned mines containing something nasty, etc). Give it Game of Thrones production values and you've got an instant hit.

There were rumours of making a film on the wheel of time series a while back. If they can make a series on the Shannara Chronicles then certainly Magician / The Wheel of Time series should certainly be considered.

I say we start a kickstarter campaign and those who back it get to be in the film / series :)

Bagsy being Matt / Macros The Black :)

V2k.

KOOL Some really nice and varied titles. I'm currently going back through the GAP series by Stephan Donaldson, a really bizarre space opera, next I'll go back to the Foundation series. We all know Isaac. :)

Deleted member 110222

D
I was out today. Not where I wanted to go but they did have a Waterstone's.

I have finally got the complete LotR trilogy. :)

UqnoDvL.jpg

Wife got me the new Phil Pullman book, so i'll.be diving into that tmrw.

I asked my wife for one thing for Christmas; the new Pullman book.

We were browsing in Waterstones a couple of weeks ago and she said she couldn't remember what I wanted, so I pointed her to the largest book slap bang in the centre of their window display - not exactly difficult to find. On Christmas morning I was given a set of nail clippers and a cheese-making kit.

I think that is going to be a Kindle purchase now, unless I spot it when I next take the kids to the library, once I have finished dawdling through Jon Ronson's "So You've Been Publicly Shamed".

Over the holidays, I've had the chance to get through Asimov's Foundation series. I hadn't read them since i was a teenager, so it was almost like reading them again for the first time.

They're curious books. On the one hand there's Asimov's undoubted gift for capturing grand sweeps of history, but on the other his history seems strangely slow by today's standards. 50,000 years into the future and self-heating jackets are a thing, but they get too hot because they're manually controlled.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
Over the holidays, I've had the chance to get through Asimov's Foundation series. I hadn't read them since i was a teenager, so it was almost like reading them again for the first time.

They're curious books. On the one hand there's Asimov's undoubted gift for capturing grand sweeps of history, but on the other his history seems strangely slow by today's standards. 50,000 years into the future and self-heating jackets are a thing, but they get too hot because they're manually controlled.

Oh man. I barely remember reading those, but I know I did. Lol. I'd be hard pressed to tell you anything about them now.

Mostly into factual books lately but a big up to Steinbeck, R.E. Howard and I.M. Banks mentioned in thread.
(I don't own the anthology but have a Sphere collection .. "Good," grunted Conan)

Current; Moby Duck - Donovan Hohn

Språkvägen- för sfi kurs B.

Its my Swedish text book, got a test in a bit, I understand and can read the text I have a test on, but ask me to write and spelll it is a bit like asking a fish to breath out of water, I have trouble spelling in english let alone swedish, oh well best get off here and read it a bit more. :S

(At home still reading 20th century ghosts by Joe Hill)

I was out today. Not where I wanted to go but they did have a Waterstone's.

I have finally got the complete LotR trilogy. :)

Ahh then you find, The Silmarillion god that was a hard read when I was in my teens, ohh and not forgeting the books of lost tales, then all the other stuff thats out there that relates to the whole thing. LOTR is a great read, I got to the council of Elrond my first time but I was only 14 when I read it and got there and went Huh...damn I need to read my text book....

Ahh then you find, The Silmarillion god that was a hard read when I was in my teens, ohh and not forgeting the books of lost tales, then all the other stuff thats out there that relates to the whole thing. LOTR is a great read, I got to the council of Elrond my first time but I was only 14 when I read it and got there and went Huh...damn I need to read my text book....

I really, really want to like LOTR but I've bounced twice now. Among my annoyances were the fact that barely 50 pages in you've been introduced to a lot of characters, one of whom then proceeds to changes their name!

My second major annoyance can be summed up by the words 'Tom Bombadil'.

Last edited:
Top Bottom