General / Off-Topic What are you reading currently?

If we count audio books as "reading," I listened to Michael Connelly's The Burning Room over the New Years weekend whilst shoveling snow out of my driveway & parking area, and am now moving on to Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged.

Avago Earo

Banned
I did glance over 'Readers Wives', but I found it lacking in literary substance.

Revisited Cannery Row, and realised how much I'd missed first time round.

The IC OP AMP Cookbook is lacking in humour, I find. But I do go over it occasionally.

As some of you may know I'm a bit of a computer history buff. Yet, despite owning the book for a number of years, I never quite got around to reading 'Where Wizards Stay Up Late' (Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon). It's essentially a history of how the Internet came to be and it turns out it's superb.

I'm also re-reading Steven Levy's "Hackers" (nothing to do with the film), which is more to do with the hacker mindset from its early days of TX-0 and PDP-1 hacking (and even more before that, with model railway enthusiasts at MIT).

And I'm also starting to read 'Fumbling The Future: How Xerox Invented, Then Ignored, The First Personal Computer', which is a part of computer history I've always been intrigued by.

I've also read and finished the new Lee Child, 'The Midnight Line' which is another of his Jack Reacher novels and a damn good one too. Slightly different to his previous ones.

I've just finished 'The Bear and the Dragon', I love Tom Clancy books and his Jack Ryan series, and now I've just started (third reading), Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, still makes me laugh on every page(I have my towel)

Deleted member 110222

D
I'm going to start the LotR trilogy today. Thoroughly looking forward to finally reading the original material that the movies are based upon.

Personal: Book of Dust, by Phillip Pullman. Loved the Northern Lights series, so it's cool to be back in the world.

Business: The Pragmatic Programmer, by Hunt & Thomas. A most impressive example of best practices.

Ahh then you find, The Silmarillion god that was a hard read when I was in my teens, ohh and not forgeting the books of lost tales, then all the other stuff thats out there that relates to the whole thing. LOTR is a great read, I got to the council of Elrond my first time but I was only 14 when I read it and got there and went Huh...damn I need to read my text book....
Never got past chapter 2 of the Silmarillion myself, Im content with the wiki for at least another 2 years or so

Okay, this responds to an earlier question of mine.

How much would you recommend to read Hobbit first?

Anyone is welcome to answer, of course.
The Hobbit isnt required to read before LOTR. However LOTR is all the more enriched having read the Hobbit first, there are a fair few references to it, mostly in Fellowship than Two Towers and Return of the King. The Hobbit is a bit different in tone too, it makes for a bit of a lighter read whereas some people find LOTR a bit slow and difficult at times.

So, you dont need to read it beforehand, but it does make Middle Earth more alive, as well as being a jolly good read in and of itself.

I like to read mathematics related books so recently I've read "The man who knew infinity" and "Poincaré's Prize", I also have one of physics called "Nuclear Arms Race" though it is pretty much only an informative book. I also like manga so I read all of "Naruto" which I find better than the anime as it doesn't have filler.

Pending to buy or read:

"How to solve it": This one was a gift by my math tutor in Canada, it's a book regarding strategies to solve math problems.

"Gödel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid": I really want to read it but it's not in the bookstores so it'll be amazon.

I also have two others pending though I don't remember their names, later on I'll update.

Okay, this responds to an earlier question of mine.

How much would you recommend to read Hobbit first?

Anyone is welcome to answer, of course.

You don't need to but it's better if you do, the Hobbit is like a really good starter before the main course of LotR. We're not talking a twiddly salad starter either we are talking king prawn butterfly or good Ardennes pate with brown toast and artisan mustard.

(yes I'm hungry)

Goose4291

Banned
Elite Encounters, new RPG lore book.

It is TEH LORE book you need to read if you are serious about ED.

I tried to play a game of it and really couldn't get into it.

I'm currently working my way through the Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG sourcebooks. Now that's a well made RPG!

Deleted member 110222

D
Upon the advice of you fine folks, I'm off to the shop for a coffee tomorrow, and to pick up The Hobbit.

Just finished this:

20821159.jpg

A really interesting novel by Gibson. Great characters and a bit of a page-turner.........

Just started reading this:

51m25T7sRfL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Handmaid's Tale.
Read it on New Year's Day.
Going to reread IT (for the sixth time), but my copy is missing some pages, they must be floating down there.

Top Bottom