General / Off-Topic What are you reading currently?

I've just finished Dan Brown - Origin (it was a why not for the hell of it). I'm reading JOhn Grisham's The Rooster Bar (almost done with that one), looking at David Baldacci - End Game next and looking to purchase a few Elite books but not sure where to start on that.

I prefer to have a book in my hand knowing that I've contributed to global warming rather than those e-reader thingy me bobs.

V2k.

As some of you may know I'm a bit of a computer history buff. Yet, despite owning the book for a number of years, I never quite got around to reading 'Where Wizards Stay Up Late' (Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon). It's essentially a history of how the Internet came to be and it turns out it's superb.

I'm also re-reading Steven Levy's "Hackers" (nothing to do with the film), which is more to do with the hacker mindset from its early days of TX-0 and PDP-1 hacking (and even more before that, with model railway enthusiasts at MIT).

And I'm also starting to read 'Fumbling The Future: How Xerox Invented, Then Ignored, The First Personal Computer', which is a part of computer history I've always been intrigued by.

I've also read and finished the new Lee Child, 'The Midnight Line' which is another of his Jack Reacher novels and a damn good one too. Slightly different to his previous ones.

I keep about 500 books in my lair, I read 80%, the rest are insurance for when the walls fall in. Kurt Vonnagut, I recommend for the win. Xmas, brothers.

I think my name is probably a bit of a giveaway to what I prefer to read, especially to anyone with a just a brief brush with the genre. For the past 15 years or so I’ve been an avid devourer of all things warhammer 40k, I have shelves full of what has come from the vaults of the black Library. Other than that there’s David gemmel and the brilliant Raymond E Fiest and Robert Jordan’s wheel of time saga, well you get my drift. Oh and I used to big a big reader of the Star Wars but that dropped off a few years ago.
But for me if you like your future fantasy dark and deadly, where humanity clings to the light by its finger tips as a cruel and brutal galaxy slowly gnaws them to the bone, well the 40k galaxy is the place to be.

Ive Just started Fulgrim from the Primarchs series. After that it’s the latest from Dan Abnett and his epic Gaunts Ghosts series’s.

I picked up a copy of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales a few days ago. Only read the prologue so far, but it lives up to its reputation for humour as well as a historical insight into very different times. Middle English isn't easy to read, even with notes, but it should be worth persevering with. Also useful for finding obscenities that outwit the forum censor-bots. ;)

I am currently working my way through Scott F Fitzgerald "The Great Gatsby". I find it handy to have something to read between orders when It's quiet at work.

I think my name is probably a bit of a giveaway to what I prefer to read, especially to anyone with a just a brief brush with the genre. For the past 15 years or so I’ve been an avid devourer of all things warhammer 40k, I have shelves full of what has come from the vaults of the black Library. Other than that there’s David gemmel and the brilliant Raymond E Fiest and Robert Jordan’s wheel of time saga, well you get my drift. Oh and I used to big a big reader of the Star Wars but that dropped off a few years ago.
But for me if you like your future fantasy dark and deadly, where humanity clings to the light by its finger tips as a cruel and brutal galaxy slowly gnaws them to the bone, well the 40k galaxy is the place to be.

Ive Just started Fulgrim from the Primarchs series. After that it’s the latest from Dan Abnett and his epic Gaunts Ghosts series’s.

Love Raymond E Fiest - got a bundle of them on the shelf - Magician I've read so many times (both versions) and as for Robert Jordan - Awsome but I've not read the last one as I don't want the story to end. Matt in the books is my fav.

V2k.

Love Raymond E Fiest - got a bundle of them on the shelf - Magician I've read so many times (both versions) and as for Robert Jordan - Awsome but I've not read the last one as I don't want the story to end. Matt in the books is my fav.

V2k.

I still say that Magician should be turned into a TV series. It's a superb book, even if bits of it do rather borrow from Tolkien (elves, dwarves, abandoned mines containing something nasty, etc). Give it Game of Thrones production values and you've got an instant hit.

Currently reading 'What If?' by Randall Munroe (the guy that does XKCD)
It is very silly but very interesting at the same time.

Im also halfway through 'Patriot Games' by Tom Clancy, which so far is a very good read

The first short story in my brother Laird's latest anthology is titled "Screaming Elk, MT." If that title doesn't make a person want to know what the story is about I don't know what would. Another title that caught my eye was "Andy Kaufman Creeping Through The Trees."

Deleted member 110222

D
I've gotten back into books thanks to the ED novels. Currently reading Premonition. Great story. I like it.

Got a few more waiting afterwards.

This:

20821159.jpg

I'm a big fan of his work.

Just found a free audio book of the John Carpenter film from the perspective of the thing, worth a listen (if you are a fan).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-G-k9-y1NA

For the love of God, Bob, DO NOT DRINK THE MILK!

I think that Who Goes There & The Thing perfectly capture the essence of "creepy" with their themes of being trapped in extreme conditions and facing the unknown and inexplicable. Isolation is a powerful tool when creating a climate of fear in literature or film. Coincidentally, my wife and have recently started watching a program called Fortitude, about a little town bearing the same name plonked down in isolation above the Arctic Circle. It's a murder mystery, just as creepy as all hell, and after watching about 5 episodes I realized that it had a lot of thematic similarities to John Carpenter's film The Thing. I highly reccomend checking it out.

Top Bottom