Mode switching for missions and Smeaton Orbital [200mill/hour]

I know people are going to hate on this for taking a stab at their cash-cow income in the game, but this is honestly just silly.

1. Set your ship up with all Economy Passenger Cabins.
  2. Fly to Allen Hub in UPSILON AQUARII.
  3. Stack Passenger missions going to Smeaton Orbital in LTT 9360.
  4. Switch between Open/Group/Solo to get fresh missions on the board until you either have 20 missions or your passenger cabins are full.
  5. When full fly to Smeaton (takes 40 minutes to fly)

With a Beluga, Anaconda, Cutter, Corvette being passenger fitted you are making roughly 200 million profit per hour (40 minute flight + 20 minutes for the return trip + modeswitching for missions).

This is just absolutely atrocious.

You are literally awarded with the highest cash-per-hour returns for

a) using mode switching for missions
b) literally NOT playing the game for 40 minutes while AFK in supercruise.

How does this in any way constitute a good addition to the game and good gameplay?

Why is it so hard to fix the board-hopping in different modes? Simply make the missions exactly the same in all 3 modes, and only change them whenever the timer expires.

Anyways... I read about players trying to play 'legit' and earn their money through trading, bounty hunting, mining, pirating, trading and regular passenger runs... hoping to get a Beluga, Type9, Anaconda or any other large ship some day... and then there is this massive loophole in the game, unknown to most players, where you can literally make 200 million per hour. That's literally earning 1 x Stock Anaconda per hour.

Seriously FDEV, I am positive you know about this loophole and insane cash generation done through exploiting this.

Why is it allowed to persist in the game?

Last edited:
They are all over the place in the game. The one you found is just the tip of the iceberg.

It really boils down to the amount of CR a player owns means "nothing" to the broader player base. It only matters to those who "think" it matters. ;)

Enjoy your riches and your newly improved buying power! In the end, all high $$ brings you is more access to all the various ships and weapons, which is really what this game is all about in the first place.

They are all over the place in the game. The one you found is just the tip of the iceberg.

It really boils down to the amount of CR a player owns means "nothing" to the broader player base. It only matters to those who "think" it matters. ;)

Enjoy your riches and your newly improved buying power! In the end, all high $$ brings you is more access to all the various ships and weapons, which is really what this game is all about in the first place.

Quite a while ago there was an exploit where asteroids would have infinite gold fragments.

FDEV shut that down and stripped the profits from anyone who had used that exploit.

The Smeaton passenger stacking is easily three times more lucrative than the asteroid exploit ever was.

Yet the passenger stacking and mode switching exploit is permitted to persist.

I fail to understand the logic of this.

Smeaton's fine. The payouts are directly related to the SC distance. I'm doing this at the moment, I'm just not mode switching. I'm doing a three-way jaunt between Allen Hub, Jemison Vision and Galiano Beacon as I find those locations are good for Smeaton missions.

I'm not getting 200M Cr per hour - more like 50-100 tops - but I'm playing the game, not gaming the play.

Frontier doesn't care about player $$ earning rates or totals. As I said earlier... How much money you have has zero impact on anyone else playing ED. Unless you are a griefer where I guess you could make the argument that all your easy $$ has lead to a much more dangerous combat ship in which to unleash your anti-social B S across the galaxy. ;)

But for everyone else, how much cash another player has compared to you is about the most insignificant/meaningless stat in the game.

Quite a while ago there was an exploit where asteroids would have infinite gold fragments.

FDEV shut that down and stripped the profits from anyone who had used that exploit.

The Smeaton passenger stacking is easily three times more lucrative than the asteroid exploit ever was.

Yet the passenger stacking and mode switching exploit is permitted to persist.

Logic?

FD?

Surely you jest...

People are still beatin' their Smeaton?

And I thought the 2-jump 500m/hr thing was what everybody did to buy their harmless anacondas these days.

But for everyone else, how much cash another player has compared to you is about the most insignificant/meaningless stat in the game.

So following that logic they could just add a button in the game and each time we push it we get +1 000 000 credits on the balance?

Or would that be too much?

Where do we draw the line?

Smeaton run is literally getting 3 333 333 credits per minute (with 200 mill per hour / 60 minutes).

Or 55 555 credits per second.

Compare these Smeaton runs to any other activity that earns you money in the game and see how it compares.

How much credits can you reliably make just doing bounty hunting, mining, regular trading et.c. in an hour of gameplay?

3+ million per minute? Not a chance.

Why should 1 hour of exploiting mode switching and watching cat videos on youtube for 40 minutes (aka literally not playing the game at all) give you so much higher rewards than every other activity across the entire game?

That is the part where I fail to see the logic of this obvious loophole. It's printing millions of credits every minute.

Surprisingly

The griefers haven't shown up

yet...

What would the griefers do anyways?

Everyone is just board-hopping between each mode then flying off in group or solo mode, or whatever mode they are in when the passenger cabins are full.

Plus, any griefer trying to catch a ship on the way to Smeaten would have to get them immediately as they enter or follow them half-way to Smeaton before they start to decelerate again.

Smeaton's fine. The payouts are directly related to the SC distance. I'm doing this at the moment, I'm just not mode switching. I'm doing a three-way jaunt between Allen Hub, Jemison Vision and Galiano Beacon as I find those locations are good for Smeaton missions.

I'm not getting 200M Cr per hour - more like 50-100 tops - but I'm playing the game, not gaming the play.

Wotcho flyin'?

Edit: The rep was to get your attention because we can't tag people. :(

Last edited:
  1. Set your ship up with all Economy Passenger Cabins.
  2. Fly to Allen Hub in UPSILON AQUARII.
  3. Stack Passenger missions going to Smeaton Orbital in LTT 9360.
  4. Switch between Open/Group/Solo to get fresh missions on the board until you either have 20 missions or your passenger cabins are full.
  5. When full fly to Smeaton (takes 40 minutes to fly)

FRAMESHIFT DRIVE CHARGING

Last edited:
Has someone got a gun to your head forcing you to do these missions?

No didn't think so. If you don't like them, don't do them.

If other people want to do them, that's up to them, not you.

Funny how FDEV shut down the infinite-gold asteroids and stripped the credits off anyone who used those asteroids then when the profit from that activity was much less than what you can make on a single Smeaton run (or whichever other stations are located far from jumpin points).

The cash vs time invested is off the charts and basically makes all other forms of earning cash pointless. That is the point.

The money in Elite doesn't really mean anything other than opening up access to more ships etc. And, I know plenty of people who have way more money than I have, but that doesn't affect me in the slightest. I love Mining, but... as a proffesion in the game, it pays way too little vs the time you spend. I do mining for the activity, not for the money.

I couldn't care less what other people do in the game to earn money. I have done some of those Smeaton runs, but the mode switching was more like 45 minutes in order to fill up the passenger bins, and then the travel. Sure... I earned 150-160 mil, but it was more like 80 minutes of quite boring gameplay. To me it is not fun; that doesn't mean that I then should sit here and point fingers at those that find it fun.

I am now out in the Pleiades to help rescue Civillians and that gameplay is a lot more fun and with my passenger Anaconda, I earn about 1 mil / trip... :)

Last edited:
Funny how FDEV shut down the infinite-gold asteroids and stripped the credits off anyone who used those asteroids then when the profit from that activity was much less than what you can make on a single Smeaton run (or whichever other stations are located far from jumpin points).

The cash vs time invested is off the charts and basically makes all other forms of earning cash pointless. That is the point.

Either the problem is bigger than we know and fixing it will cause much bigger problems, or Frontier see it as different to an infinite gold-asteroid. Perhaps they see the sacrifice of 40 minutes doing nothing as a worth reward? Who knows.

But, until they've said "NO!" .. I guess it's fair game.

Top Bottom