News Content Recap - Beyond Chapter One Livestream (18.01.2018) - Part 2 Recap

Steve Kirby

Lead Games Designer, Frontier Developments
Frontier
Steve, seeing as you've been answering a few questions here I have one for you (apologies if it's been asked). The new recon limpet has sparked a debate about the number of diferent limpet controllers now available vs. the number of internal slots we have in our ships.

Do you guys have any thoughts on reworking the whole limpets vs. limpet controllers mechanic?

One thought I had was to add a "Limpet Rack" which works in a similar way to the SRV bay in that it would have a number of sub-slots (2 or maybe 3?) into which various limpet controllers could be then be fitted.

Any comment at this juncture?

Hi Alec,

We have had lots of thoughts about new modules, however none I can share at the moment.

Thanks

Steve K

This is really shaping up together nicely, and can't wait to get my hands on the beta.

I have a question regarding the new galaxy map filters. are you able to show where the new correctional facilities are on the map?

Keith

I can confirm that there will be a new By Services option in the Map view Configuration and you will be able to search for starport services including the tech brokers in the galaxy map with a 40LY radius of your current location (similar to the trade data system shown in the live stream) so that you can see where the nearest ones are to you as long as you have discovered them.

Hi Steve, is it a 40ly search around your current location, or is it 40ly around the current cursor position?

Hi,

Thanks for the question.

I can confirm that there will be a new By Services option in the Map view Configuration and you will be able to search for starport services including the tech brokers in the galaxy map with a 40LY radius of your current location (similar to the trade data system shown in the live stream) so that you can see where the nearest ones are to you as long as you have discovered them.

thanks

Steve K

Out of interest is that Radius based on Starport Density etc, so if we're out in the Pleiades or other more remote locations then there's still a chance of finding something, even though it's maybe 70 LY away.

Cheers, Eid

That said unlocking certain items is linked to certain types of gameplay. What we showed yesterday was just a taster.
The best thing about the sytem is it is very expanable giving us and you plenty of flexibility.
Will we have more storage? We need it!
[Edit: I mean module storage. 60 is too low even without the new modules]

Last edited:
Storage is being changed completely, now there is a per-item cap of 100 instead of the global caps of 1000 and 500 for mats and data. So you can have 100 EFCs, 100 Vanadium, 100 classified scan databanks, and so on.
I know it, thanks. But I mean storage for modules. I think the limit now is 60.

Last edited:
Hi Steve, is it a 40ly search around your current location, or is it 40ly around the current cursor position?

Hi,

To confirm it is 40ly from your current location. As in it will show you the ones closest to you.

Thanks

Steve K

That is a real shame. 40ly doesn't seem far enough and 40ly from the current cursor position would be far more useful. Any chance of this being changed please?

That is a real shame. 40ly doesn't seem far enough and 40ly from the current cursor position would be far more useful. Any chance of this being changed please?

40 Ly will encompass a lot of systems, it should be enough. Also you can look up any system that you have been too instead which I don't think has a range. I think the range is just for the galaxy map.

Could be wrong though, so don't quote me.

40 Ly will encompass a lot of systems, it should be enough. Also you can look up any system that you have been too instead which I don't think has a range. I think the range is just for the galaxy map.

No, I think you're right - that was my understanding too. The radius limit applies to the little icons and trade route animations shown on the galaxy map but you can pick any system you've been to to show the import/export profits on the commodities screen. I think Steve Kirby even mentioned the example of getting trade data for Colonia.

Will we be able to gain trade data from a system by using our ADS scanner, or does it have to be through docking or nav beacon scanning?

Are we going to see any updates to the earthlike planets or waterworlds?

Its not like chlorophyll is the only way space plants could photosynthesize.

If our atmosphere were just a little different, or our Sun burning a slightly different chemical mixture and generating light of a noticeably different color, our plants would be likely to have evolved to different shades than is the current average. In fact, it has been proposed that exactly this scenario happened in days gone by when our Sun was less bright and our atmosphere had a different composition. According to the Purple Earth Hypothesis, early life on earth used Retinal (aka Vitamin A) instead of chlorophyll, and the simple algae were purple instead of green.

Another purple option is bacteriochlorophyll (similar chemically to chlorophyll, but absorbing somewhat different wavelengths of light). Combined with carotenoids, this is what makes 'purple bacteria' purple. Many purple bacteria use hydrogen sulfide rather than water (producing sulfur rather than oxygen) in their photosynthesis process.

Recently, Fungi has been discovered that uses melanin (a black pigment that humans, and many other species, use to protect against ultraviolet solar radiation) to conduct a photosynthesis-like reaction at Chernobyl to turn radioactive gamma ray emissions into food.

Class M Stars emit most of their light in the infrared spectrum so plants evolving under such a star might develop a black pigment that absorbs as much light as possible or even a pale pigment that does the majority of its absorption in the infrared range alone.

Plants on a planet orbiting an Class F Star would find it most efficient to produce a predominantly orange photosynthesizer.

The blue wavelengths of light are more energetic and would make more efficient photosynthesis, so it unlikely that blue photosynthetic pigments would evolve or dominate (since a blue pigment would reflect the blue light instead of absorbing it). However, it's not inconceivable that a planet orbiting very close to a blue star, or being bombarded by radiation from a somewhat more distant Class O Star might develop blue pigmentation to deflect the strongest and harshest parts of the light. So while blue is the least-expected color for an alien forest, it can't be completely ruled out.

Omg Rep +1 What an interesting read! FD hire this guy asap and give us purple like EL’s!

Like the science behind it VERY much

Last edited:
But that would give 4 states, and it might be that the design called for just those three states. Yes, you could wire up some code to prevent the fourth state, so attempting to clear both check boxes automatically checks the other one, but is that as clear?

Personally I don't think they are that tight for space that it makes a big difference, but being the GUI guy at work (not FDEV), it is always nice to know that people do care about the things that we provide ;-)

Well, the fourth state is to show none of all. Which is should not be an issue. ;-) Anyway, it simply looks odd to me.

I think you are right. My problem with the maximum 40ly range from current location is that a lot of trade routes that make the most money are longer than 40ly. For example, one trade route I used to use was netting me over 1,500 per ton on gold, but I had to travel roughly 100ly for that. Using the new system, I would not be able to 'see' that opportunity in the Galaxy Map. If the icons were located around the cursor location, then I could find the 100ly route (in this example) that gives me the biggest profit.

Top Bottom